What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

It's 50-50 chance for both. AESA radars PL-15 and Meteor has leveled the playing field for both.

I heard this criticism from you before in another thread. Care to expand, why quality of B version is low ?

Hi,

They are still thinking being in the F16 world---even though it is a fantastic world---there now exists a parallel world of the JF17---.

The F16 was a design of a different time----JF17 is of a different time---of a different need necessity and utility and under extremely difficult condition by those who had no prior experience of any kind of building an aircraft---or in other words supervising the build of a new aircraft without any building experience---.

Excuse though it is not---The aicraft has merit in its ability capability and utiliy from top to bottom---.

In pakistan we do have kids from mixed marriages---it is not uncommon---pak father japanese mother---chinese mother---european mother---mexican mother---arab mother---so we are used to this phenomenon---. We love the Grippen---the F16---the F18---so our love had to show in what we build---and we had to show those who build those aircraft---.

Grippen would have done better in selling us the aircraft---their sales would have sky rocketed---.

Last edited:
So guys.. What changes didn't get included in Block 3?

Looks like this prototype isn't carrying AESA radar and no visible IRST. KLJ7A Aesa most likely will be used after aerodynamic tests. Air refueling probe was detachable so that's not a problem. Engine is RD93MA? I heard in the production run they will use WS13?
under airintake new hard point

some say increase Ground clearence, i am not sure though

Azam will be nothing but an advancement of FC-31.... so lets be realistic, personally i am disappointed with the looks of JF-17 man other than nose it is Block 2, i saw few members in the thread were insisting to make JFT a 5th gen fighter ... come on .. it has its design limitations, but keeping in mind its competitors like F16 or Grippen or other aircrafts of its league, its frame look like old timer.... anyways its solving its purpose so we have to keep in mind its attributes rather than its beauty ......

I expected about this much from the Block 3. The only disappointment would be if it lacks HMD/S, a key feature planned since 2015. That said, seeing how the maiden flight is without a radar, it seems the integration and testing work is only beginning now. So, it might be a while before we see a 'fully matured' Block-3. In other words, operationally, the Block-3 may not matter until 2021/2022. @Falcon26 @Deino

so the story ends here that block 3 having frame very similar to Block 2 the changes incorporated with JF-17 B are not visible in Block 3... i was hoping that they will make changes in its looks because lots of pictures were floating on internet, so they took years to modify the cockpit ...... man dont know why i am feeling disappointed even though i was aware that frame will be similar but that much similar .. i was not expecting ...

JF-17B-JF-17bl2.jpg

49286537467_cb655f4a2a_k.jpg
IMO the aesthetic differences may be more related to the nose and front fuselage sharing the same colour than anything else. If the PAF opts for the same shade of grey for the nose and fuselage, it'll look different than what it is now.

How can Pakistan accelerate it?

Pakistan already had the F-16s which it used as the basis for JF-17 Thunders and this was used to accelerate the program despite warnings from the US to Air Marshal (Retd) Shahid Latif.

To accelerate Project Azm, Pakistan needs to somehow get hold of the F-35 or at least detailed understanding of its technologies to set that as a basis for Project Azm.

Hi,

There is enough information out there to build an F35---. The only thing is 'how close can you get to the abilities of this aircraft--internal & external'---that is the whole issue---that is the question---.

I expected about this much from the Block 3. The only disappointment would be if it lacks HMD/S, a key feature planned since 2015. That said, seeing how the maiden flight is without a radar, it seems the integration and testing work is only beginning now. So, it might be a while before we see a 'fully matured' Block-3. In other words, operationally, the Block-3 may not matter until 2021/2022. @Falcon26 @Deino

IMO the aesthetic differences may be more related to the nose and front fuselage sharing the same colour than anything else. If the PAF opts for the same shade of grey for the nose and fuselage, it'll look different than what it is now.
Thats why the production lines in Kamra will be churning out B models in 2020 so that makes sense.

At this stage, the urgency for f-16s in my honest opinion has been diminished; there are approx 2 years before block 3 makes it into full operational use; this is probably first prototype and they will need to get the issues all worked by the 4th prototype. At this stage it is the buyer's market not the seller's; jf-17 is the stick.
Very good point @denel totally agree with U. May be F35 is a good case???

PAC shall keep building newer blocks... conceptual studies on Blk4 already....

It is not just a platform... but the entire life cycle control and of course, the weapons which go with it... so JF is adding Freedom to PAF/Pak with every newer block...

We need more RnD collaboration with the key players.. to enhance our TechEcoSystem.

For now when Blk3 hits the skies in PAF Colours it shall be the most advanced fighter PAF has...

But then US has ways of seducing PAF... which we have seen in the past... we shall see....
F35 or F15X

Big achievement for our country/PAF, I remember those times when we bought F7pg, I'll not go in detail but just remind some of you we were denied worldwide to get any sort of tec let alone high tech.
Many thanks to Almighty that we are able to achieve this, this is our horse this is our sword and people in command know how they will pitch this against one and only enemy we have. InshAllah we will do the damage we will break the enemy swords.
All my prayers for my jawans and for my Pakistan .

it is huge for pakistan .. a country mired by corruption,, whose money is stolen by its rich to be sent overseas.. but there are patriots who are innovating wth meager resources, for the love of this land .. God Bless you guys.. you are a Saif ullah .. the sword of Allah.. you will hold the banner of Islam high

so the story ends here that block 3 having frame very similar to Block 2 the changes incorporated with JF-17 B are not visible in Block 3... i was hoping that they will make changes in its looks because lots of pictures were floating on internet, so they took years to modify the cockpit ...... man dont know why i am feeling disappointed even though i was aware that frame will be similar but that much similar .. i was not expecting ...

JF-17B-JF-17bl2.jpg

49286537467_cb655f4a2a_k.jpg

If they wanted to keep the same frame, why block 3 is more than 3 years late? Even then they will produce only two in 2020. I think they might still be testing and it work in progress.
We will definitely will have to go with something for stop gap purpose. India will have full squadron of Rafale by end of 2020 or beginning of 2021.

Back
Top Bottom