What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

I saw a few guys claiming block 3 having a different design and hardpoints. That is not all the case.

JF-17 Block 3 is IDENTICAL to block 2 in almost all aspects externally.

The major differences include;

1) Revamped software to support and handle a variety of missions (ie. SEAD/DEAD)
2) New weapons such as PL-15, RAAD will be the highlights for block 3.
3) Improved engine performance. Turbines have been reworked to produce added thrust.
4) AESA radar (cannot disclose which one)
5) Turkish EW suite
6) Strengthened abdomen and wing roots to carry heavy weapons such as RAAD and PL-15s.
7) Recc pods will be fully operational.
8) Upgraded Link capability similar to F-16s. All JF-17s are able to communicate with SAAB's securely. Each JF-17 pilot would know what other JF-17 can see and what he is up to in a given mission. What are his fuel levels, what is the status of his weapons. It's a fully integrated system just like F-16's link 16 which Wg Cmdr Nouman Ali Khan leveraged to execute a mission beautifully.

In other words, IAF will be faced Block 52 category weapons systems that too in mass numbers in just 5 years from now. Production of Block 2 is slowing down and Block 3 will be produced from February 2020 at PAC.

The first two Block 3's are currently undergoing FCFs (functional check flights) and are expected to join PAF in February 2020.

On the export side, 08 Block 2's are to be delivered to Nigeria in 2020. Qatar and Malaysia are eyeing for Block 3.

In a nutshell, JF-17 program has been a blessing for Pakistan Air Force. Its only a matter of time when we will have access to EU hardware. The Block 4 is already on the charts and it will be nothing short of a Rafale as far as current plans are concerned.

I would be shitting my pants if I was IAF.

@waz @Windjammer @The Eagle @Trailer23 @Imran Khan

A few days earlier, a source did reveal that people expecting to see any drastic changes on Block-3 will be disappointed as most of the changes or improvements are internal.....another thing mentioned was that there is supposedly just ONE extra hard point. ??

A few days earlier, a source did reveal that people expecting to see any drastic changes on Block-3 will be disappointed as most of the changes or improvements are internal.....another thing mentioned was that there is supposedly just ONE extra hard point. ??
I think all level headed people knew this would be the case.

If it was just radar and some other avionics upgrade then why so much secrecy and delay it doesn't add up

I think all level headed people knew this would be the case.
I am under illusion that i am a levelheaded person my only expectations from blk iii were good future usable bvr and wvr capabilities now i am being told that the latter is not up to the mark due to lack of jhmcs / hobs aams so i am a bit disappointed.

Because you don't announce what avionics and other electronics you are using, so your enemy can't counter it (politically or practically)
That somewhat explains the secrecy but not the delay.

Last edited:
The major differences include;

1) Revamped software to support and handle a variety of missions (ie. SEAD/DEAD)
2) New weapons such as PL-15, RAAD will be the highlights for block 3.
3) Improved engine performance. Turbines have been reworked to produce added thrust.
4) AESA radar (cannot disclose which one)
5) Turkish EW suite
6) Strengthened abdomen and wing roots to carry heavy weapons such as RAAD and PL-15s.
7) Recc pods will be fully operational.
8) Upgraded Link capability similar to F-16s. All JF-17s are able to communicate with SAAB's securely. Each JF-17 pilot would know what other JF-17 can see and what he is up to in a given mission. What are his fuel levels, what is the status of his weapons.
Q. Is there any change to the Leading Edge of the Wing? I'm not sure if it was (here) on PDF or some other site where the Leading Edge had an unusual curve in the center.

Q. Is there a possibility if the Vertical Stabilizer (Tail) may resemble that of the B-Variant?
@airomerix @Bilal Khan (Quwa) @Windjammer

Don’t get emotional so soon, this feature can come up as an upgrade eventually not just for Block 3 but i guess the earlier blocks as well as their upgrade is mostly on integration and software upgrade.

What we have interesting here is, where will we go to get the HMDS. With a bit warming up with US, we can very well expect JHCMS since we are already operating them on block 52, or we might have to wait another 2 years for Chinese system to come to par or (even ourselves ? Since we operate JHCMS, experience of usage).

Ignore...

Are we allowed to integrate US origin AAMs to thunders ?
Because if we can, then we can use JHCMS with AIM-9X provided that we are sold this system
do our mlu have jhcms?

That's under the chin for pods

IMG_5074.JPG

Need to see true swing role capability like all 4g ac

Meaning in same mission/flight can do both a2a and a2/g

Jas-39 did by adding more hp (2 more ) internal fuel and load carrying

Actually it’s currently only possible on jf if only one centerline drop tank is carried which brings jf fuel equal to f-16 total Internal fuel ie ~3000 kg

Anyway let’s see

Spoke to someone and told me jf surpasses old mirages and f-7 in range in current form so far better capability

Lastly block 3 internal fuel went up by a margin ? even if its 200 liters say that 3200 liters internal plus 800 liters in centerline tank i.e 4000 liters

Last edited:
:cheers:
:yahoo::yahoo:
Can you even imagine, doing so, the export potential of Thunder will increase multiple folds, And, GCC would be drooling over as they are already stuffed with Raytheon !!!

Already, the export potential of Block 3 is quite high, such an offer of integrating US based AAMs will give it more wind.

As for ourselves, we have an inventory of proven AMRAAMs and WVRs, it is like riding a Block 60 F-16. Indians are gone for good !!
PAF seems to be good at playing chess

Man, you made my day !!!:pakistan:

View attachment 594764

@The Eagle @messiach This pic is posted by @Deino

Nose seems unusually obesed !!!

Nope, its was captured at Minhas. Can be seen on Google Earth

upload_2019-12-21_21-44-36.png

Back
Top Bottom