What's new

JF-17 Block-3 -- Updates, News & Discussion

I have a question for everyone that what could be the possible number for Block-III prototype? For example 2P for Block-II and then we have seen BCxxxx for Block-B.

i think 01 sir .

Boss, 01 could be the last number to say like 1st plane of block-III .... but . . .I mean P2 stands for Bloock-II & then we have seen Block-B like BCxx0x so what could be the possible tail number for Block-III prototype?

and no Sir please.

AESA was found to be wanting when tested in late 2013-14. It will find its place eventually in later batches. There will be slow graduation to AESA.

So, the initial batch will be equipped with PD radars while later ones will have the AESA? Is this due to a selection or supplier issue or both?

Not first time though if true pg were delivered to sqn w/o radar and radar was fitted afterwards due to delay in contracts etc

Per Janes March 2020 is expected delivery date aesa equipped block 3 in paf but platform can be delivered before March ??

Strengthen jf outer wing to add additional pylon carry one sd-10

IMG_4142.JPG

IMG_4135.JPG

Last edited:
I have a question for everyone that what could be the possible number for Block-III prototype? For example 2P for Block-II and then we have seen BCxxxx for Block-B.
I would assume it would be equal to or less than the prototypes made for JF17B. The reason being that JF17B's prototypes can be used to test for many of the internal avionics like the AESA radar. For the flight characteristics however the block III would need to be tested with its own airframe(which has reportedly seen some changes). That's just my guess.

Last edited:
Boss, 01 could be the last number to say like 1st plane of block-III .... but . . .I mean P2 stands for Bloock-II & then we have seen Block-B like BCxx0x so what could be the possible tail number for Block-III prototype?

and no Sir please.

The tail number for JF-17B prototype flying in PAF is 17-601. This leads me to believe that either the aircraft will actually enter squadron service or perhaps will be retained as a test aircraft. The BCXXXXX are more like serial or part numbers and we even saw two different numbers on the same aircraft in production. Block III tail numbers will be something like 20-301 onwards if the trend is anything to go by.

Interesting to note:
F-16BM: 82-601 - 14-627
F-16D: 10-801 - 10-806 (800 series perhaps to differentiate between older and new blocks with substantial changes)
JF-17B: 17-601
FT-7P: 88-601 - 90-619
FT-7PG: 02-681 - 02-687

The Mirage series, in service for much longer, has a different numbering scheme, but the latest 3 jets inducted in PAF clearly show that twin-seat jets have their numbers in the 600 series.

i think 01 sir .

I would assume it would be equal to or less than the prototypes made for JF17B. The reason being that JF17B's prototypes can be used to test for many of the internal avionics like the AESA radar. For the flight characteristics however the block III would need to be tested with its own airframe(which has reportedly seen some changes). That's just my guess.

The tail number for JF-17B prototype flying in PAF is 17-601. This leads me to believe that either the aircraft will actually enter squadron service or perhaps will be retained as a test aircraft. The BCXXXXX are more like serial or part numbers and we even saw two different numbers on the same aircraft in production. Block III tail numbers will be something like 20-301 onwards if the trend is anything to go by.

Interesting to note:
F-16BM: 82-601 - 14-627
F-16D: 10-801 - 10-806 (800 series perhaps to differentiate between older and new blocks with substantial changes)
JF-17B: 17-601
FT-7P: 88-601 - 90-619
FT-7PG: 02-681 - 02-687

The Mirage series, in service for much longer, has a different numbering scheme, but the latest 3 jets inducted in PAF clearly show that twin-seat jets have their numbers in the 600 series.

Thank you for your input. This is what I meant by PT No. that you can see on vertical stabilizer. :-)
B 3 complete.jpg
B3.jpg

is block 3 in production?

Can be. Very highly likely. PAF is yet to make a decision on Radar but we know for a fact that in JF-17 program, avionics and air frame development was de-linked to pace up the program and this decision paid the dividend. Now we know the time frame for Block-III is late this year or early next year (Nov-19 ~ Feb 20), so it makes perfect sense that air frame are being produced along with all the changes (if there is any at all) ... avionics will be added and the birds will be tested later and it will all be completed in that time frame. So yes SP-3 can simply means that block-III is in production.

Back
Top Bottom