What's new

Japan's Growing Naval Power: Japan building more Atago Class GM Destroyers

How if we compare it with chinese "Type 055" Destroyer.?

Last edited:
By 2020 China should have AEGIS destoryer: 6x type052C 8-10x type052D, 4-6x type 055, probably 1-2 aircraft carrier
It is not easy to forget PLAN..

16 !?!:o: 98 vls on each ship it means...
98*16 = 1500+ missiles :cheesy:
Forget PLAN even Russian Navy can not block Japanese Waters :cheers:
And look at IN
9 destroyers (5 made in 80s)
And 12 sub + 2 nuclear sub's :cry:

:)

By 2020 China should have AEGIS destoryer: 6x type052C 8-10x type052D, 4-6x type 055, probably 1-2 aircraft carrier
It is not easy to forget PLAN..
I know but Japan will also have 7-8 light carriers :)

Japanese AEGIS destroyer focus more on air defense, is more mature, has larger weight(10Kt) and load(96 VLS).
052D is smaller(7Kt) and less load(64VLS), its first ship is on water and is still under test
yet with more powerful AESE radar, multi function VLS combining anti-ship, anti-air and anti-submarine function.
So in general Japanese AEGIS destroyer are at good air-defense
052D is better in attacking power and multi-function

How if we compare it with chinese "Type 054D" Destroyer.?

These helicopter carrier does not make much sense right now.
If Japan can buy F35C and use them on these carriers, it may make some sense...
Yet Japan only buy F35A.

I know but Japan will also have 7-8 light carriers :)

Japanese AEGIS destroyer focus more on air defense, is more mature, has larger weight(10Kt) and load(96 VLS).
052D is smaller(7Kt) and less load(64VLS), its first ship is on water and is still under test
yet with more powerful AESE radar, multi function VLS combining anti-ship, anti-air and anti-submarine function.
So in general Japanese AEGIS destroyer are at good air-defense
052D is better in attacking power and multi-function

These helicopter carrier does not make much sense right now.
If Japan can buy F35C and use them on these carriers, it may make some sense...
Yet Japan only buy F35A.

I was talking about "Type 55" Destroyer not 52D...

Detail function of 055 is still unknown.
Below is what I just heard but not confirmed..
12Kt full load with 4 QC280 combustion turbine engine
96-112 VLS with bigger size than current 052D, probably for anti-ballistic missile
Dual X and S band AESE radar..
Will be the core of PLAN fleet and anti-missile system.
Yet more detail to be confirmed

The Japanese destroyer is more similar to 052c with higher load.

I was talking about "Type 55" Destroyer not 52D...

96-112 VLS with bigger size than current 052D, probably for anti-ballistic missile

Regarding 055, production has already commenced, but othing officially about it's design published yet. A military fan site has offered some conceptual idea of 055A based on 052D and individual research.

Back to the topic, so compared to Atago, its counterpart in PLAN would be 052D (052C upgraded with Type 348A PESA, CIWS1030, etc).

Last edited:
I am not sure if 055 will use electric propulsion..
052D is a multi-function destroyer, similar to Arleigh Burke class
Japanese Atago has removed many attacking function like Tomahawk cruise missile,
So it is mainly for air-defense, which is similar to 052C but bigger

Regarding 055, production has already commenced, but othing officially about it's design published yet. A military fan site has offered some conceptual idea of 055A based on 052D and individual research.
Back to the topic, so compared to Atago, its counterpart in PLAN would be 052D.

I am not sure if 055 will use electric propulsion..
052D is a multi-function destroyer, similar to Arleigh Burke class
Japanese Atago has removed many attacking function like Tomahawk cruise missile,
So it is mainly for air-defense, which is similar to 052C but bigger

Thanks bro.

The absence such as Tomahawk is for political reason, say if we compare from a pure military (including its potential capability without political constraint) angle, apparatus to apparatus, what are the key highlights/advantages of Atago, or that of 052D?

@Nihonjin1051 or other navy experts.

Last edited:

124 VLS according to Wikipedia :)

How if we compare it with chinese "Type 055" Destroyer.?

Let compare:
Atago-class commissioned long time ago, and now they'd build 2 more. So it must be a solid build. They are bigger and stronger than any other Chinese destroyers built ever. And they linked to several Aegis destroyers of Japan and allies. So the quantity of real Aegis destroyers would be about hundreds. And they support each other.

055 never existed, so it's too early to say how many to build.

Why u dragging China into this thread again ?!

16 !?!:o: 98 vls on each ship it means...
98*16 = 1500+ missiles :cheesy:
Forget PLAN even Russian Navy can not block Japanese Waters :cheers:
And look at IN
9 destroyers (5 made in 80s)
And 12 sub + 2 nuclear sub's :cry:
:)
Sorry, 4x Atagos and 4x Kongos have 96x MK41 VLS cells(can launch SM-II or SM-III), but 8x Akizukis have 32x MK41 VLS cells (currently only launch ESSM).

Last edited:
Why u dragging China into this thread again ?!

Sorry, 4x Atagos and 4x Kongos have 98x MK41 VLS cells(can launch SM-II or SM-III), but 8x Akizukis have 32x MK41 VLS cells (currently only launch ESSM).

Akizuki scan easily be refitted to launch SM3-block IIas, and soon the SM6' as well. The platform is there , it's available when JMSDF High Command request it or have need of it.

The same thing for Tomahawks-- there is an active political reason why we requested not to install those on our ships. It's not because we lack ability to ( lol, Japan launches satellites to space this we have the capability of launching Long Range ICBMs, lol) it's due to political stability. We Japanese do not want to further "sensitize or destabilize " the region by arming all our ships to the teeth with awesome offensive fire power. That will send the wrong diplomatic signal to Korea, Taiwan, China, Russia. After all we understand their apprehensions due to history....

Akizuki scan easily be refitted to launch SM3-block IIas, and soon the SM6' as well. The platform is there , it's available when JMSDF High Command request it or have need of it.

The same thing for Tomahawks-- there is an active political reason why we requested not to install those on our ships. It's not because we lack ability to ( lol, Japan launches satellites to space this we have the capability of launching Long Range ICBMs, lol) it's due to political stability. We Japanese do not want to further "sensitize or destabilize " the region by arming all our ships to the teeth with awesome offensive fire power. That will send the wrong diplomatic signal to Korea, Taiwan, China, Russia. After all we understand their apprehensions due to history....
Yes, i read news said Akizuki plan to SM-III ... but right now still ESSM and there'r 4x8 MK41 VLS cells on the ship.
7254c735gb922ae34b6be&690.jpg

Back
Top Bottom