What's new

Japanese Warship Kaga is becoming an aircraft carrier

Dude, how do you feel about this passage? ? Apparently the USN disagrees with you. lol
he navies of the two NATO allies know each other well and have participated in countless joint operations over the years. The French say that the pace is a bit more intense on a US carrier.

“Our challenge is the intensity and the speed” of the manoeuvres, a French pilot tells me.

“One of the major differences between us is scale. The Charles de Gaulle launches all the planes and then recovers them. We can do both at the same time. We operate at a higher rate” Commander Steven Thomas, the second in command, tells me. His official title is “Air Boss” and he wears a T-shirt emblazoned with it, as well as a smaller “mini boss,” to distinguish that he is not the top dog. Culture shock number three -- the French would never wear a self-deprecating T-shirt that pokes fun at their rank.
lol, this prove nothing.

First of all, this is not USN, this is a single person who serve the USN. Commander is not really a senior rank, it's O-4 or O-5 that's a personal opinion. I can say I think Leopard 2 is in every case a more superior tank than Abrams, that does not become US Army official stance just because an Army O-3 said that.....

Second of all, where is this quote supposed to be in? I mean there are no encrypt, no reference, it could literally be anyone.

And thirdly, it still has not answer the question, why would French goes for Angled deck if they have to launch all their aircraft and then recover them? Why not just build a straight deck with dedicated parking space which is what Straight Deck carrier is used for? Especially CDG aren't really that big to begin with, I can't see how they save spot by building it angled deck.

And finally, if you can park an aircraft on a slipway, YOU CAN LAUNCH THEM.........

lol, this prove nothing.

First of all, this is not USN, this is a single person who serve the USN. Commander is not really a senior rank, it's O-4 or O-5 that's a personal opinion. I can say I think Leopard 2 is in every case a more superior tank than Abrams, that does not become US Army official stance just because an Army O-3 said that.....

Second of all, where is this quote supposed to be in? I mean there are no encrypt, no reference, it could literally be anyone.

And thirdly, it still has not answer the question, why would French goes for Angled deck if they have to launch all their aircraft and then recover them? Why not just build a straight deck with dedicated parking space which is what Straight Deck carrier is used for? Especially CDG aren't really that big to begin with, I can't see how they save spot by building it angled deck.

And finally, if you can park an aircraft on a slipway, YOU CAN LAUNCH THEM.........
lol, dude, it's funny that you're denying the description of a professional after joint training with a French carrier. I've lost interest in continuing to discuss this topic with you, apparently you're substituting your own imagination for reality.
you can't see how they save spot by building it angled deck?
la9988.png

Last edited:
lol, dude, it's funny that you're denying the description of a professional after joint training with a French carrier. I've lost interest in continuing to discuss this topic with you, apparently you're substituting your own imagination for reality.
you can't see how they save spot by building it angled deck?
View attachment 924524
I honestly lose interest talking to you.

Sure, an article of an offhand comment from someone, I mean, I was trained on Leopard 2 when i was in Germany, do you think they will tell me how everything works on a Leo 2? That's a comment, like what I said, and like what you said it have zero value on it.

Secondly, that is not "Saving space" because you sacrifice still sacrafice the back of an aircraft carrier to park at the front, it's the same back in WW2 when you park on the side when the lift is on the centerline, you sacrifice one side of the aircraft carrier to do operation with other.

Straight deck can do that too, you know?

Uss_lake_champlain_cvs-39.jpg

Both still did not answer the question why they choose to angled deck and not straight or flush deck.

And I am seriously out of patient on this, so I am going to pass on this post and you think what you think are correct, I don't care, go ahead and have a nice day

Japan’s Converted F-35B Carrier Leaves Dock Sporting New Bow

New images show the heavily modified bow of Japan’s Izumo class JS Kaga (DDH-184) ‘helicopter-carrying destroyer’ as the vessel left its dock recently. Kaga is currently being turned into an F-35B Joint Strike Fighter carrier for the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force (JMSDF).

Photos of the vessel pulling away from its dock in Kure City, Hiroshima Prefecture accompanied by various tugboats began circulating online around April 19. According to Naval News, the first set of modifications to Kaga (originally slated to end in March) included changing the shape of the vessel's bow section and applying a heat-resistant coating to its deck. The next set of modifications, which will involve re-balancing and structurally reinforcing Kaga's hull, are expected to be completed by March 2024.

FuOQBp8WYAA0WiO

FuOQBqSX0AQ2DO3

FuOQBqjXwAIpylL

FuJrgfaWYAABs0e

FuIwOSsaIAAslcF

FuIwOSqaUAA88Gu

FuIwOSraEAI_prk

FuI0njkaYAE0mqt

FuI0njpaAAAWq4R

@F-22Raptor @gambit @KAL-EL @Rusty2 @Viet

@beijingwalker

There is just something about Japan and air craft carriers... Like salt and pepper... just belong together.
Looks like Japan is getting serious again.

Why would you install EMALS on Type 076? You either have length to launch or recover aircraft, you can't do both, it's too short....

Plus, what about the Well Deck??
Perhaps they won’t add EMALS and actually build a VTOL fighter. It seems like they may be seriously considering it, trying to work out a design like the X-32 lift system. They even want to adopt the Pelikan tail. The Russians, especially what remains of the YAK design bureau could help the Chinese in this endeavor.

A VTOL aircraft opens up the possibility of not of commercial ships being used as defacto “aircraft carriers”, however limitedly, creating “distributed lethality and survivability”.

Last edited:
Perhaps they won’t add EMALS and actually build a VTOL fighter. It seems like they may be seriously considering it, trying to work out a design like the X-32 lift system. They even want to adopt the Pelikan tail. The Russians, especially what remains of the YAK design bureau could help the Chinese in this endeavor.

A VTOL aircraft opens up the possibility of not of commercial ships being used as defacto “aircraft carriers”, however limitedly, creating “distributed lethality and survivability”.

I highly doubt this is going to be the case.

Depends on when did the Chinese start this VTOL fighter development, it would have been decades down the line. It took LM roughly 15 years since the YAK-141 partnership and god knows how long for the Rolls Royce Pegasus Lift Turbofan engine development (which is the reason why Yak-141 was stuck in the first place)

I mean set aside Chinese aircraft development is not really on par with LM and without the beneficial input from the UK, let's even say they can pull this out and have the same length of development for this VTOL project, you are talking about late 2020s and early 2030-ish deployment. I would say by then they would have to hammer down an exact spec for type 076.

Last edited:
Perhaps they won’t add EMALS and actually build a VTOL fighter. It seems like they may be seriously considering it, trying to work out a design like the X-32 lift system. They even want to adopt the Pelikan tail.

Recent researches in China shows with the fast improving new technologies , now VTOL fighters are not as good and efficient as VTOL drones, I don't China would want VTOL fighters at all in the future.

Are F-35s Japanese jets? when will Japan be able to make their own jets? and how many F-35s US can provide for Japan?
What does the origin of the Jets have to matters?

All of Chinese made Jets are reverse enginered from the Russian and still use Russian engines.

What matters is how good the Jets are in their intended role. And F-35 have no equal in this regards.

Well, I think the biggest problem of Japan (and most Asian countries) are birthrate.

Less war, more children please.

Recent researches in China shows with the fast improving new technologies , now VTOL fighters are not as good and efficient as VTOL drones, I don't China would want VTOL fighters at all in the future.
If not a VTOL fighter, then perhaps a single engine fighter (with a TVC equipped WS-15) with a pelikan tail, for the Type 076 with catapults. Two variant could be manned (one land based and one naval) and a third variant could be unmanned with just the non-after burning part of the WS-15. It could be attractive for nations unable to buy the F-35 like nations in the GCC.

For the PLAAF, it would be an affordable but decent replacement for the J-10, affordable for many partner nations, such as Pakistan. If the PAF is going to go for the Heavy Twin engine T-FX, it may not be able to afford to enough, and that is where a single engine stealth fighter maybe optimal. A future PAF could feature nearly 100 T-FX and 100 single engine stealth fighters alongside J-10s, F-16s and JF-17s towards mid-century, with the later three slowly being phased out and probably more single engine stealths being procured over T-FXs.

Last edited:
In the past? Sure. Japan was a powerful empire for a reason.

In this era? China would probably flatten Japan, so long as Japan doesn't get outside help.
Japan doesn't even have nuclear weapons. lol.

Back
Top Bottom