What's new

Japan narrows F-X selection to F-35 & F-18 Super Hornet Block II

Sir USA will never Interfere if China starts war with Japan maximum they will do is provide weapons as fast as they could but they will never use their Air Force or Navy or Army

Ahh...the US will intervene as they love nothing more than a good dust up.

I thought Japan was super advanced? Why not just create your own fighter jets?

Some say Japan doesn't have the necessary experience in certain components of a fighter such as engines. However, I have my doubts with that argument. Did you know that Honda have created their own civilian jet? In time, Japan will eventually have all the necessary experience as long as Washington gives them permission. Gut feeling is that Washington will never allow Japan to develop their own fighter jets.

developing fighter is way much difficult than commercial electronics (technologically and financially)

because the initial investment for defense techs are immense, you might develop half dozen models of fighters but very unlikely to have commerical successful fighters like F-16s, Su-27 and Mirages F-1 or even Mig-21 (there are so many elements associated with the success of one fighter)

after WWII Japan devoted almost all of her resources to rebuild the very ruined country, economy and society, and when its under USA's nuke protection so there always have been almost no incentives to have a long strategic plan on her very own defense industry, even if they want U.S will simply wont allow it.

the perfect example is its F-2 multi-role fighter, as most people consider Japan is technologicallt advanced country but why their first 'indigenous' fighter was acutally a complete 'copy' of F-16, similar areframe, U.S engine, weaponary and such? because so many fields are involved in developing a modern fighter and Japan maybe just have the electronic field.

Thats one of the main reason Pakistan put so much resources on JF-17 even during the most difficult time..its a very wise move, I'd say a complete aviation industry is better than having 500 F-16 Block 60 in PAF's fleet

Sir USA will never Interfere if China starts war with Japan maximum they will do is provide weapons as fast as they could but they will never use their Air Force or Navy or Army

Japan is a major non-NATO ally. The Americans will intervene in case Japan is attacked by anyone.

Don't forget that some of the newer Super Hornet variants allows for later modification/upgrade to the EA-18 Growler, which provides as a good compliment to squadrons.

Indeed, the Growler is a fine piece of machine. I believe Australia would be the first foreign customer of the beast.

They do license produce F-15s. There's also the Mitsubishi F-2 (an F-16 blk 40 variant).

Japan mostly focus on technologies with commercial applications. Their military applications are at best limited.

And if they do produce their very own jet, it'd likely be extremely expensive.

They are apparently working on their own 5th generation plane. Let's see where that goes. US refusal to sell F-22s to Japan didn't go well for Japanese sentiments.

Interesting, please apply the same logic to whether China will interfere if US starts a war with Pakistan too (Especially with so many links going on where people are claiming that China would even start a world war or nuclear war just to save Pakistan) !!! Else your logic might not apply in the above context too :azn:

FA-18 is not a 5th gen aircraft.

It msy have some stealth features but definitely not in the same stealth category as JSF.

Interesting, please apply the same logic to whether China will interfere if US starts a war with Pakistan too (Especially with so many links going on where people are claiming that China would even start a world war or nuclear war just to save Pakistan) !!! Else your logic might not apply in the above context too :azn:

By bringing Pakistan into the discussion (which has nothing to do with the discussion), you literally fail to display any logic at all.

By bringing Pakistan into the discussion (which has nothing to do with the discussion), you literally fail to display any logic at all.

The thread was related to Japan buying F-18 or F-35 , please read your post 10 where you brought in China into the discussion ... :wave:

The thread was related to Japan buying F-18 or F-35 , please read your post 10 where you brought in China into the discussion ... :wave:

And that's because China is Japan's issue. Whereas Pakistan isn't.

FA-18 is not a 5th gen aircraft.

It msy have some stealth features but definitely not in the same stealth category as JSF.

The EW variant still can remain an effective complement for any formation, as it will jam radar, which will essentially add stealth capabilities to all aircraft within it's radius.

Why dont they just upgrade their Mitsubishi F-2 than go for F-18 ?

Back
Top Bottom