What's new

Japan exports fall for fifth consecutive month

Status
Not open for further replies.
We should only be buying Chinese brands anyway, like Lenovo.

No hard feelings against foreigners, but if we are patriots we should buy things made by our own countrymen.

True but sometimes it's also good to buy foreign brands too. I've seen some unknown Chinese brand lcd which didn't last long. I recommended to buy LG at that time and it still works. As for Lenovo they deliver quality stuff, i even have a thinkpad and very satisfied too. Lenovo did a great investment with the ibm hardware division purchase and now they have replaced HP as the no.1 spot. Once Chinese car brands are promising quality and safety issues are no problem i think they can do what the Japanese did back at a time when everyone wanted western cars.

Do you think only Japan economy is suffering?

Remember, in China most of Japanese factories employ Chinese workers, most of Japan brands are produced by Chinese factories. They are the losers, too. If this downward trend continues, the Japanese will shift their investments to elsewhere, but no longer to China. Will you still be happy to see that?

Sure, for Vietnam it is good, we always welcome the Japanese. :D

Japan's investment in China down 32%

Japan's investment in China down 32% | The Japan Times Online
Big market is there, No Japan brand, other brand will be in, and fill it, then new factory can replace Japan one, they will employ the worker.
And I don't think you know the china biggest advantage, you think low salary is that?
and do even they shift invest from china, Viet also not the best choice! In fact, I hope Japan brand all can be excluded from china, Japan company contribute too little for china development of technology, as a foreigner, you can't get high position in japan company comparing with other company of other countries, and hard to join their supply chain and other disadvantage, hard to learn something from them, Japan company is a closed organization. In china, they get more, but teach us less, to some extent, Japan company are harm to china economy and company development, I support excluding most of japan companies from china generally, and restrict investment from Japan.
If you want them, get it as much as possible.

Good for you, if Japan keeps investing in Vietnam we shall see Japan's economy rising soon because we are waiting for that.

and instead going to China, the Japanese travel to Vietnam. The number of Japanese tourists is expected to rise from 500,000 (2011) to 1 million (2015) :lol:

large_04_2012_96_Cooperation-to-establish-Vietnam-Tourism-Representative-Office-in-Japan.jpg

Cooperation to establish Vietnam Tourism Representative Office in Japan

Good for you, if Japan keeps investing in Vietnam we shall see Japan's economy rising soon because we are waiting for that.

No, we can´t save Japan´s economy. We can only ease their pain a bit. They are really in big trouble.

Now you are talking REALITY.

I am realistic. With the rise of China, S.Korea and other Asian tigers like Taiwan, Japan Inc. is in BIG trouble. Just look at the difficulty and decline of some giant companies such as Sony, Sharp, Panasonic and many others. On top comes the high Yen.

I think Shinzō Abe is right (if he becomes Prime Minister), they MUST dump the Yen, lower their value drastically in order to have a chance to get out of the dark.

This should shut up some arrogant Japan fanboy. He thinks China can't continue to grow without Japan's investments. Why brag about the possibility of Japanese companies shifting from China to Vietnam if trade war going to continue? Post news articles when that really happens. We have gathered news with facts and so far companies have not moved away and China's economy isn't ending up in recession. So what if Japan has lowered their investments, other companies can easily replace them and Samsung here is an example. Can Japan find a replacement for 1.3 bln customers, not to mention overseas Chinese?

Japan’s Carmakers Are Losing Big in China
Toyota, Honda, Nissan sales plunge means caution for investors
By Jim Woods, Stocks & Markets Contributor | Oct 10, 2012

Japan's Carmakers Are Losing Big in China | InvestorPlace

When I first heard rumblings that Japanese automakers were likely to see a substantial decline in September sales in China, my first reaction was skepticism. Yes, I knew Asia’s two powerhouses were engaged in a dustup over a territorial dispute in the East China Sea. Midway through the month, Japan nationalized two islands (known as the Diaoyu in Chinese and the Senkaku in Japanese), a move that led to violent protests and calls for boycotts of Japanese products throughout China.

Naturally, the biggest victim of those boycotts was carmakers, and that’s resulted in a sales plunge that, frankly, I didn’t anticipate.

All the Japanese automakers suffered the wrath of the Chinese boycott, including Toyota (NYSE:TM), Honda (NYSE:HMC) and Nissan (PINK:NSANY), Mitsubishi and Mazda. During September, Toyota’s China sales tumbled an incredible 48.9% year-over-year, while Honda was just slightly better with a sales plunge of 40.5%. Nissan’s China sales sank 35.3% in September vs. the prior year. Even smaller Japanese manufacturers got hammered, with Mitsubishi suffering a 63% dive in September China sales, and Mazda slowing 36%.

The boycott will likely be a temporary phenomenon, but just how temporary is unclear. Both Toyota and Nissan halted production in their China facilities amid the exploding political tensions, and even when they come back, production is likely to be curtailed due to dampened demand from anti-Japan consumers.

According to a report in The Globe and Mail, at least two Toyota executives told the news agency Reuters that the boycotts and plant closures would make the company unlikely to achieve its goal of selling 1 million cars in China this year. Considering that China accounts for about 12% of Toyota’s overall sales, the problem will undoubtedly have a deleterious affect on the company’s bottom line.

Nissan has even bigger exposure: In 2011, about 27% of its vehicles were sold in China. Honda sold about 20% of its vehicles in China in 2011.

So, the logical question here is who is set to benefit most from the Japan/China territorial conflict?

One likely candidate is General Motors (NYSE:GM), which sees China as a huge growth market. Unfortunately for GM, its September numbers weren’t extremely encouraging. The company’s China sales did rise in the month, but at a snail’s pace of just 1.7%.

Perhaps the real winners among automakers are the German and South Korean brands. For example, BMW saw its September China sales spike 55% year-over-year. One of the most popular brands among China’s luxury consumer is Volkswagen’s (PINK:VLKAY) Audi. In September, Audi’s China sales surged some 20%. Mercedes also had gains, with sales in the country jumping 10% in the month. Even South Korean auto maker Hyundai chalked up a nice boost, with gains of 15%.

The bottom line here for investors who want to play auto stocks is that due to the political conflict over these islands, we’re likely to see lower profits from Japanese automakers. However, picking up the slack are German and South Korean manufacturers, rather than U.S. auto giants like GM or Ford (NYSE:F). Therefore, this situation is more of a “stay away” from the sector than a “buy the winners” scenario.

One man's poison is another man's meat!

For example Toyota and Mazda jv with FAW in China wherein the latter also has jvs with Audi, VW, and GM so essentially the loss in jvs with japanese carmakers in the company is easily picked up by other non japanese brands under the same roof!

FAW

Some other Chinese automakers like
Guangzhou Automobile Group Co Ltd who are less diversified in jv portfolio are suffering a bit!

What India needs to do is building more toilets first for its people before trying to replace Chinese market. Indian market is already open to Japan. We are talking about Japan losing the Chinese market and which country is gonna replace that?

its useless tellling them to change their prority because of this:

indians-inherently-unhygienic-indian

I am realistic. With the rise of China, S.Korea and other Asian tigers like Taiwan, Japan Inc. is in BIG trouble. Just look at the difficulty and decline of some giant companies such as Sony, Sharp, Panasonic and many others. On top comes the high Yen.

I think Shinzō Abe is right (if he becomes Prime Minister), they MUST dump the Yen, lower their value drastically in order to have a chance to get out of the dark.

their dad will call them a currency manipulator!

Do you think only Japan economy is suffering?

Remember, in China most of Japanese factories employ Chinese workers, most of Japan brands are produced by Chinese factories. They are the losers, too. If this downward trend continues, the Japanese will shift their investments to elsewhere, but no longer to China. Will you still be happy to see that?

Sure, for Vietnam it is good, we always welcome the Japanese. :D

Japan's investment in China down 32%

Japan's investment in China down 32% | The Japan Times Online
On the contrary, we're doing quite well.

http://www.canadianbusiness.com/art...adding-to-signs-of-possible-economic-recovery
China posts upbeat data amid leadership change - MarketWatch

and instead going to China, the Japanese travel to Vietnam. The number of Japanese tourists is expected to rise from 500,000 (2011) to 1 million (2015) :lol:

large_04_2012_96_Cooperation-to-establish-Vietnam-Tourism-Representative-Office-in-Japan.jpg

Cooperation to establish Vietnam Tourism Representative Office in Japan

all these are japanese bleeding their hard earned Yen for vietnam! where is the return for the investors? where is the vietnamese help to their accidental ally?

Your entire economy is smaller than my hometown's. Please stop comparing your 5 bucks to a million dollar fortune.

are you happy now?
Hurting Japan? Of course we're happy to see them suffer.

Your entire economy is smaller than my hometown's. Please stop comparing your 5 bucks to a million dollar fortune.

It is interesting to compare Vietnam's GDP to that of any Chinese city. My city for instance.

Hong Kong - Population 7 million - GDP is $243 billion

Vietnam - Population 100 million - GDP is $130 billion

So they don't really have that much of an economic impact, especially when compared to mainland China which is $7.3 trillion.

You can see Mr Viet has changed his tune now. :) Japan isn't living in the 80's anymore where Japanese tech companies dominated the world. Stiff competition coming from Taiwan, South Korea and China are killing Japanese corporations, even German car companies are stealing customers from Japanese car makers. I don't care if Japan invest more in Vietnam (whether building plants, construction works or tourism) Japan isn't gonna benefit too much from it. Does Viet really think plenty of Vietnamese will go to Japan for holiday? Promoting tourism will only benefit Vietnam and not Japan.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pakistan Defence Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom