What's new

Japan Defence Forum

The 2 Izumo-Class Light Aircraft Carriers

Japanese+helicopter+carrier+-+Izumo+1.jpg

Japanese+helicopter+carrier+-+Izumo+2.jpg

Japanese+helicopter+carrier+-+Izumo+3.jpg

Japanese+helicopter+carrier+-+Izumo+4.jpg

Japanese+helicopter+carrier+-+Izumo+5.jpg

Lovely pictures @AMDR . Such a beautiful sight. :)

US_Navy_030228-N-3612M-008_The_amphibious_assault_ship_USS_Essex_%28LHD_2%29%2C_and_the_Japanese_Maritime_Defense_Force_%28JMSDF%29_ships_Shimakaze_%28DDG_172%29%2C_Myoukou_%28DDG_175%29%2C_Hamagiri_%28DD_155%29_and_Natusio_%28SS_584%29_pier-side_Okinawa%2C_J.jpg

The amphibious assault ship USS Essex (LHD 2), and the Japanese Maritime Defense Force (JMSDF) ships Shimakaze (DDG 172), Myoukou (DDG 175), Hamagiri (DD 155) and Natusio (SS 584)

Such an amazing photo, up until you get to the sub at the end. Someone needs a lesson in parking!!! The scale is great though. Huge ship, smaller ships, even small sub, and people that look like they are not even there at all. Even the helos on the Essex look like toy models and not actual machines. I bet the boat driver at the top left is feeling a bit inadequate.

:usflag:
219337_ImageUploadedByDefence.pk1414384787.414098.jpg

my contribution to this most fantastic of threads;

3-image.jpg

Thuy_phi_co_NB_muon_su_dung_bao_ve_dao_Senkaku_PLRT.jpg

images

jmsdf_01237.jpg

Japan+Maritime+Self-Defense+Force+(JMSDF)+Conducts+Sea+Mine+Sweeping+Exercise+(5).jpg

Japan+Maritime+Self-Defense+Force+(JMSDF)+Conducts+Sea+Mine+Sweeping+Exercise+(4).jpg

Japan+Maritime+Self-Defense+Force+(JMSDF)+Conducts+Sea+Mine+Sweeping+Exercise+(2).jpg

JMSDF_XP-1_TRDI_Atsugi4974.jpg

Last edited:
Such an amazing photo, up until you get to the sub at the end. Someone needs a lesson in parking!!! The scale is great though. Huge ship, smaller ships, even small sub, and people that look like they are not even there at all. Even the helos on the Essex look like toy models and not actual machines. I bet the boat drive at the top left is feeling a bit inadequate.

LOL, That sub commander really needs to address his crew. I can only wait and see how the upcoming America Class will look like when they're mobilized. Have you heard of any news on the US Navy's side about sale of any Wasp-class to the JMSDF? i know that there were discussions of acquiring 1-3. Everything's been silent on our side tho.

Japanese Advance Plans For Another Air-Capable Assault Ship | Defense content from Aviation Week

Such an amazing photo, up until you get to the sub at the end. Someone needs a lesson in parking!!! The scale is great though. Huge ship, smaller ships, even small sub, and people that look like they are not even there at all. Even the helos on the Essex look like toy models and not actual machines. I bet the boat drive at the top left is feeling a bit inadequate.

my contribution to this most fantastic of threads;

3-image.jpg

Thuy_phi_co_NB_muon_su_dung_bao_ve_dao_Senkaku_PLRT.jpg

images

jmsdf_01237.jpg

Japan+Maritime+Self-Defense+Force+(JMSDF)+Conducts+Sea+Mine+Sweeping+Exercise+(5).jpg

Japan+Maritime+Self-Defense+Force+(JMSDF)+Conducts+Sea+Mine+Sweeping+Exercise+(4).jpg

Japan+Maritime+Self-Defense+Force+(JMSDF)+Conducts+Sea+Mine+Sweeping+Exercise+(2).jpg

JMSDF_XP-1_TRDI_Atsugi4974.jpg

He he he, bye bye enemy subs ;)

:wave::guns:

LOL, That sub commander really needs to address his crew. I can only wait and see how the upcoming America Class will look like when they're mobilized. Have you heard of any news on the US Navy's side about sale of any Wasp-class to the JMSDF? i know that there were discussions of acquiring 1-3. Everything's been silent on our side tho.

Japanese Advance Plans For Another Air-Capable Assault Ship | Defense content from Aviation Week

Nothing major regarding the Wasp, only update was that Defense Minister Onodera toured the USS Makin Island a few months ago as part of their determination on whether to pursue a lobbying effort to get the US to sell a Wasp-Class ship. Typically the US has been reluctant to sell such gear, even to allies, so this would be a major shift in policy.

Nothing major regarding the Wasp, only update was that Defense Minister Onodera toured the USS Makin Island a few months ago as part of their determination on whether to pursue a lobbying effort to get the US to sell a Wasp-Class ship. Typically the US has been reluctant to sell such gear, even to allies, so this would be a major shift in policy.

That's what I'm getting from reading fleet news. I hope that we can pursue this opportunity.

Ships and munitions get a lot of the attention and rightfully so, but I wanted to post some pics about the life-blood of these systems... the sailors.

JMSFD personal helps the son of a US sailor look though "big eyes" on-board JSF Hyuga
images

Rifle re-qualification
images

JMSDF VBSS joint training
images

More VBSS training

US-Navy-JMSDF-VBSS-Teams-Build-Unity-aboard-USS-John-S.-McCain.jpg

Ship protection detail
4874666417_66415f1a91_z.jpg

Not a sailor, but a bonus none-the-less
JMSDF-Sailors-Undergo-Boarding-Ops-Training.jpg

That's what I'm getting from reading fleet news. I hope that we can pursue this opportunity.

My guess is the DM Onodera was touring the Makin Island to get a feel for how future JMSDF flat-tops and baby carriers should look and feel. I still think the JMSDF will pursue additional Izumo-class ships rather than buy foreign.

Ships and munitions get a lot of the attention and rightfully so, but I wanted to post some pics about the life-blood of these systems... the sailors.

JMSFD personal helps the son of a US sailor look though "big eyes" on-board JSF Hyuga
images

Rifle re-qualification
images

JMSDF VBSS joint training
images

More VBSS training

US-Navy-JMSDF-VBSS-Teams-Build-Unity-aboard-USS-John-S.-McCain.jpg

Ship protection detail
4874666417_66415f1a91_z.jpg

Not a sailor, but a bonus none-the-less
JMSDF-Sailors-Undergo-Boarding-Ops-Training.jpg

Absolutely stunning pictures.