Komodo.soha.vn004-2a38d.jpg

Komodo.soha.vn005-2a38d.jpg

Komodo.soha.vn007-2a38d.jpg

Komodo.soha.vn001-2a38d.jpg

Komodo.soha.vn006-2a38d.jpg

Komodo.soha.vn002-2a38d.jpg

Komodo.soha.vn003-7b4bf.jpg

Japan’s Fleet BMD: Upgrades & UORs

Japan considering land-based SM-3s as well; Contract for base Atago Class Aegis combat system upgrades.

Sept 30/14: Atago base upgrades. Lockheed Martin Mission Systems and Training in Moorestown, NJ receives a $53.6 million contract modification to upgrade Japan’s Atago Class Ships DDG 177 and DDG 178 from Aegis Baseline 7 Phase 1R, to the Advanced Capability Build 12 software with Technology Insertion 12 hardware. All funds are committed immediately.

Work will be performed in Moorestown, NJ (65%), and Chelmsford, MA (35%), and is expected to be complete by March 2017. US Navy NAVSEA in Washington, DC manages the contract as Japan’s FMS agent (N00024-13-C-5111).

Aug 11/14: Land-based. Japan’s government is reportedly considering land-based SM-3 missiles as an upper-tier complement to the PATRIOT PAC-3 missiles being deployed as point defense, similar to the Aegis Ashore installations in Europe.

The move seems as if it would duplicate naval deployment of SM-3s, but land-based SM-3 missiles would deepen Japan’s available reserves against larger-scale “rush” attacks, while freeing Japan’s advanced air defense destroyers to perform their air defense role with fewer compromises. It would also be possible for Japan to quickly deploy Aegis Ashore bases with SM-3 Block IBs, before the jointly developed SM-3 Block IIA is ready, then rotate SM-3 Block IBs to the land fleet once the Block IIA is ready for naval use. Sources: Mainichi, “Defense ministry mulls introducing ground-based SM-3 interceptor missiles”.

Japan’s Fleet BMD: Upgrades & UORs

want to translate for us, or is my guess accurate, corruption, technology, and whatever else means China will not stand up to Japanese forces.

There are technical and training deficiencies that are addressed regarding the Chinese side. Naval wise, its basically reaffirming our confidence in our capabilities against exigencies in the region and the JMSDF's ability to command and control.

Japan - Philippine Development

@Cossack25A1 , @JayMandan , @Pinoy , @Ayan81

There are technical and training deficiencies that are addressed regarding the Chinese side. Naval wise, its basically reaffirming our confidence in our capabilities against exigencies in the region and the JMSDF's ability to command and control.

Japan - Philippine Development

@Cossack25A1 , @JayMandan , @Pinoy , @Ayan81
while I largely agree with the statement Chinese navy needs work and perhaps 1-2 decade for it to be a truly global force, I have also read a recent report by a Japanese author on a Japanese magazine, translated, that we lack the PASSION, not funding, or something like that, but passion, yes you heard it here first. Apparently our goals are not set, and thus we lack passion and so it's not as good.

Also because we didn't take into account how many missiles US and Japan could launch at us, so we didn't put as many on our ship to counter those threats.

With logic like that, can we really take these things at, I mean we got our own crazies as well, but this is the first time I heard passion is listed as a reason.

while I largely agree with the statement Chinese navy needs work and perhaps 1-2 decade for it to be a truly global force, I have also read a recent report by a Japanese author on a Japanese magazine, translated, that we lack the PASSION, not funding, or something like that, but passion, yes you heard it here first. Apparently our goals are not set, and thus we lack passion and so it's not as good.

There are a lot of Japanese military analysts, and depending on the source, some of them tend to be very over-critical. And I don't think that its good to say such things because it can be misconstrued or taken in a wrong context. So, it really depends on who wrote that article piece. I would prefer if you review more moderate article pieces , with support of JSDF, because they tend to represent the military's view. Listen, it is evident that the PLAN is modernizing and no one in the JMSDF doubts the professionalism , or passion of the servicemen.

Also because we didn't take into account how many missiles US and Japan could launch at us, so we didn't put as many on our ship to counter those threats.

Don't have to worry about these hypothetical scenarios of how many missiles Japan or America is aiming at China. You must know already that Japan has a "No First Strike" Policy. Meaning, we will never strike first, no matter what. We have in our defense clause that the JSDF will only react to defend interests, if struck first. If that happens, then there will be hell to pay (for those who dare to strike us first).

With logic like that, can we really take these things at, I mean we got our own crazies as well, but this is the first time I heard passion is listed as a reason.

Don't worry buddy, level headed mind rules the day. There's no doubt on our side that the Chinese are dedicated and professional.

New Izumo-class carriers to greatly boost Japan's force projection

Japan's new Izumo-class aircraft carriers will make the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force one of the most lethal offensive forces in the world, reports the Beijing-based China Youth Daily.The JDS Izumo helicopter carrier has been undergoing intensive sea trials since late September as Japan prepares to launch two Izumo-class destroyers over the next two years, the report said.

Once commissioned, these Izumo-class vessels will greatly enhance Japan's anti-submarine, anti-ship, air combat and amphibious assault capabilities, giving the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force two light aircraft carrier battle groups and two helicopter carrier battle groups.Izumo-class carriers will boost the Japanese navy in four key respects. First of all, the Izumo-class can potentially double the anti-submarine capabilities of the Japan Maritime Self-Defense Force. Currently, Japan's Shirane-class destroyers can carry 9-10 helicopters, compile two anti-submarine crews and carry 16 anti-submarine torpedoes, while its battle groups can equip 42 MK-46 anti-submarine torpedoes and 112 ASROC anti-submarine missiles, which have a range of 11 kilometers and 22 km, respectively.

On the other hand, Izumo-class destroyers can carry 14 helicopters, five anti-submarine crews and 40 anti-submarine torpedoes, with battle groups that can equip 42 MK-46 anti-submarine torpedoes and 104 ASROC anti-submarine missiles.Second, the Izumo-class can more than double Japan's air combat capabilities. Shirane-class battle groups come equipped with more than 300 SM-2MR, RIM-7 series and RIM-162 ship-to-air missiles with ranges between 16 km and 150 km. By comparison, the Izumo-class destroyer can carry eight F-35 stealth fighter jets and carry 32 AIM-120 mid-long range missiles and 16 short-range missiles. Its battle groups can also equip more than 400 ship-to-air missiles with ranges between 16 km and 150 km.

Third, the Izumo-class can more than triple Japan's anti-ship combat capabilities. The Shirane-class destroyer can carry 56 Harpoon or Type 90 ship-to-ship missiles which have a range between 90 km and 200 km. But with up to eight F-35 fighters on board, the Izumo-class can carry as many as 48 Norwegian-made naval strike missiles, extending its anti-ship combat radius to 640 km. At the same time, Izumo-class battle groups can also carry more than 50 Harpoon or Type 90 ship-to-ship missiles.Fourth, the Izumo-class destroyer will lead to a dramatic surge in Japan's remote delivery and amphibious combat capabilities. At the moment, Japan's three Oosumi-class landing ships can be loaded with 990 marine officers, six landing craft and 30 tanks. Each Izumo-class carrier, on the other hand, can carry 500 soldiers and multiple helicopters and tiltrotor aircraft, with a deck that can cater to five helicopters or MV-22 Ospreys landing or taking off simultaneously. Two Izumo-class vessels will be able to transport 1,000 soldiers to the frontline while also strengthening defense and invasion capabilities.

Back
Top Bottom