What's new

Jakarta to acknowledge Diwali as National Holiday

There are no visible restrictions on the practice of Hinduism, and Bali teems with temples devoted to various Hindu gods. Even in other parts of the country, for instance, the Muslim-majority neighbouring island of Lombok, Hinduism exists in a syncretic embrace with Islam. Lombok is home to the Pura Lingsar temple complex, where both Hindus, and those Muslims who adhere to the island’s unique “waktu telu” tradition of Islam, worship.

Lessons from Indonesia’s Hindu legacy - The Hindu

Nice... maybe so called progressive western countries should take leaf out of Indonesia!

The Hindus Hope Deepavali Acknowledge as National Holiday

BERITAJAKARTA.COM — 26/11/2013 10:45:35

The facultative holiday granted by Jakarta Provincial Government for Hindus to celebrate Deepavali is very much appreciated because it gives Hindus the freedom to run their feast. Because of that, the Hindus are hoping that Deepavali could to be set as national holiday besides Galungan holiday.

“We thanked Jakarta Provincial Government for the facultative holiday granted. The upcoming November 30 will be the first time, nationally, Hindus from various ethnics celebrate Deepavali,” stated Head Committee of Deepavali National Celebration, AS Kobalen, Monday (11/25).

Indeed, Deepavali celebration is scheduled to be centered in the Grand Ball Room Seasons City, West Jakarta, on upcoming November 30. The celebration will be the initial momentum to make Deepavali as national holiday for Hindus in Indonesia, which currently being discoursed, besides Galungan holiday.

Meanwhile, Parisada Hindu Dharma Indonesia (PHDI) Chairman, SN Suwisma, said that currently there are 10 million Hindus in Indonesia who come from various ethnics and tribes. Regarding Deepavali celebration, it is the celebration of victory for Hindus all around the world.

“After all, the origin of Hindu is India. Its spread is since thousands of years ago, including in Indonesia. Therefore, let us in Indonesia encourage Deepavali to be celebrated together in the world,” he uttered.

Regarding the discourse to set Deepavali as Hindus’ national holiday besides than Galungan, Suwisma told that it will be decided in the meeting by the panditas (priests). As for the difference between Deepavali and Galungan, it is only the matter of calculating the timing.

“Galungan uses wuku calculation which counts 210 days of arrival. While Deepavali, it uses saka year, which more-less are 360 days,” he finished.
Translator: rini

BeritaJakarta.com

i hope next year we can see Diwali as one of Indonesia National Holiday and happy Diwali day to all of our Hindus friends
I live in lombok island which has a strong hindu (balinese) community, but unaware that hindu has this kind of celebration. I thought it is only celebrated by overseas hindu. In bali, they are practising much different kind of hinduism ( hindu dahrma) than in India.

The biggest celebration of hinduism in the place where i live is nyepi (seclusion day). A day where you all hindu shut down their activities. No working, no fire and everybody must stay at home unless there is an emergency. Failure to comply with this, you will fined by the community. But off course this celebration is an allien for most of hindus in india.

Thank You Indonesia, they also recently celebrated international Ramayana festival .

Their hindu's, they worship monkeys your all the same

Im sure they supported the destruction of babri masjid as well

This is satire at it's best. Although my one criticism would be it's a bit forced.

Well done

How can muslims forget what the lingam worshippers did to the babri Masjid, that one masjid is worth more then all the temples that have ever been built in india.
Stop. U are hilarious!

Worships are of various kinds and we see GOD in Hanuman based on his deeds.
Their hindu's, they worship monkeys your all the same

Im sure they supported the destruction of babri masjid as well

India shall also reciprocate by allowing Muslims of India to celebrate Eid ul Adha.

Apart from Eid Ul Fithr and Bakr Id which are National holidays all other religious holidays are religion specific and can be availed off if request in 2 weeks notice (I am a HR professional for 11 years). Indian being a multi cultural society allows leave for all the major religion in India. You would be intrigued to know that even Raksha Bandhan is not national holiday in India, rather people having sisters or brothers can avail leave if they wanted to.

India shall also reciprocate by allowing Muslims of India to celebrate Eid ul Adha.

How can muslims forget what the lingam worshippers did to the babri Masjid, that one masjid is worth more then all the temples that have ever been built in india.

The people who destroyed that mosque actually want you to remember it and keep burning for the rest of your life for all the good that it is going to do to you. I will inform them that they have succeeded in their mission.

Back
Top Bottom