What's new

J-XY - maybe J-35 - next generation carrier-borne fighter

In retrospect, it is a shame that Pakistan went for J-10C... But then again who knows.

In retrospect, it is a shame that Pakistan went for J-10C... But then again who knows.
Inducting 36 units of J-10C off-the-shelf is more like a stop gap move, I can also feel the heat from "supapowa". But in the long run getting a land-based variant of J-XY could be a good option for PAF/PAC, there is even an opportunity for J-XY and JF-17 to partially unite their supply chain like med-thrust engine.

According to Sun Cong, the chief designer of J-15 and FC-31, in a press briefing at Zhuhai today, the next generation of carrier based fighter will debut this year. :yahoo:

It comes true in one month. Yay! :cheers:

Very interesting development.
If this bird manages to get fifth-generation avionics, genuine radar-absorbent material, airframe redesigns to reduce its RCS, and a new suite of AAMs, it might potentially come close to matching the performance of the AMCA in the far future.
Not a bad start for a country that was until very recently still mostly reliant on a geriatric fleet of MiG-21 derivatives and Q-5 Fantans.
that is india;; china DEFINITELY technology power with its massive arms industry;; also a big player in global arms market;; such two can't match against;; one is global arms maker, while the other NEVER made any arms successfully

Last edited:
Very interesting development.

If this bird manages to get fifth-generation avionics, genuine radar-absorbent material, airframe redesigns to reduce its RCS, and a new suite of AAMs, it might potentially come close to matching the performance of the AMCA in the far future.

Not a bad start for a country that was until very recently still mostly reliant on a geriatric fleet of MiG-21 derivatives and Q-5 Fantans.
MY BOY PLAAF ALSO OPERATES HUNDREDS OF J11/SU27/J15/1/ SU30/MKK2 AND J10

and a bit modified

J-35 vs FC-31V2 31003 + info.jpg

also interesting:

J-35 vs F-35C.jpg

It has finally won the heart of PLAN. :D Good work!

And if the PLAN does order it - then there is a chance that it will win the heart of the PAF also - I am sure PAF is waiting for China to commit to it first before taking a look ... the memory of PLAAF backing out of the FC-1/JF-17 procurement still stings in the minds of the PAF.

And if the PLAN does order it - then there is a chance that it will win the heart of the PAF also - I am sure PAF is waiting for China to commit to it first before taking a look ... the memory of PLAAF backing out of the FC-1/JF-17 procurement still stings in the minds of the PAF.

For Pakistan, while it stings that they didn’t commit to procuring their own, at least the selection of the J-35 by the PLAN will mean accelerated development of the “Medium Thrust” Engine. Supposedly this plane flew with the WS-21 engines, although I doubt they would do that on a maiden flight.

If the Engine catches up the GE F-414 Engines; it could allow the JF-17 to have the same thrust as our F-16 Block 52s (and maybe able to match the UAE block 60s) allowing the plane to have the electrical power to be a match for any F-16 variant, if we so choose to upgrade our JF-17s down the line. It would give new impetus for a further development of the type, if they know that a much more powerful engine (20-30% increase in thrust, super-cruise) would come available down the line.

It would open up potentially more export customers as well, especially if a reduced RCS follow on design were developed; with two variants; one manned and one unmanned (loyal wingman). Something for those “Non-aligned” nations and neutrals.

Last edited:

For J-35 or FC-31, I will still reserve my choice since missing of side-bays especially for side-winders/AAMs. With only one bay under belly, somehow limits the utilization under environment that warrants stealth capability to the fullest.

Back
Top Bottom