What's new

J-XY - maybe J-35 - next generation carrier-borne fighter

It's looks like a folding wing design of J-35 for Chinese Navy & @Deino you are absolutly right bro J-31 flying since 2011 but still not come in production line or induction position. But now things are getting change...
No j-20 had a first flight in 2011 FC-31/J-31 had a first flight much later I think, it had a first flight in 2013 or 2014

It's looks like a folding wing design of J-35 for Chinese Navy & @Deino you are absolutly right bro J-31 flying since 2011 but still not come in production line or induction position. But now things are getting change...

No j-20 had a first flight in 2011 FC-31/J-31 had a first flight much later I think, it had a first flight in 2013 or 2014

No, 31001 demonstrator flew first on October 31, 2012 and no. 31003 on December 18, 2016.

According to Sun Cong, the chief designer of J-15 and FC-31, in a press briefing at Zhuhai today, the next generation of carrier based fighter will debut this year. :yahoo:

According to Sun Cong, the chief designer of J-15 and FC-31, in a press briefing at Zhuhai today, the next generation of carrier based fighter will debut this year. :yahoo:

Indeed

1632899285069.png

See also

Huitong has just updated his CMA-Blog with the following rumour: 😮

"The latest rumor (October 2021) claimed that the J-35 prototype just successfully conducted its maiden flight."

Is already any more known and what does the Chinese social media community say? 🤔

J-35 maiden flight rumour - 20211013.png

Huitong has just updated his CMA-Blog with the following rumour: 😮

"The latest rumor (October 2021) claimed that the J-35 prototype just successfully conducted its maiden flight."

Is already any more known and what does the Chinese social media community say? 🤔

View attachment 784846
If this is true, it is indeed the best news in this forum. Go China Navy!

A successful J-35 may lead to the J-21 ( the PLAAF variant ). If so - then it is a possible Option for the PAF if it proves to be successful in PLAN/PLAAF ..
Open to PAF I believe so, but PLAAF I'm not so sure. IMO J-XY has always been a navy-centric project, and naval concerns champ all like aspect ratio, low speed maneuverability, advanced built-in EW suite (similar to F-35 role in NIIF-CA) and such. We all know there are always gives and takes, industrial design is always a compromise, I believe J-XY is a jet optimized for CV and naval doctrine from its 1st day on drawing board.

Of course variant for PLAAF can't be ruled out, but apparently they are going for a full hi-thrust fleet (twin hi-thrust for heavy air superiority / EW, single hi-thrust for medium multi-role), whether they will induct a twin-medium thrust jet hence complicating logistics/maintenance is a question, especially when the jet is not a game-changer, and roles are currently undertaken by an up-gradable platform (J-10 series) or even UAV. Limited financial budget is a tough reality, I guess PLAAF's short-term priorities are confined to building a strategic fleet (bombers, tankers, AWACS, transport), C4ISR infrastructure, and continue to fill tactical fleet (20/11/16/10/GJ-11/WZ-7/WZ-8) in numbers.

Going back to PAF/PAC, it may indeed be a good option, PAC might even become a hub for J-XY's re-designed land-based variant, while SAC remains a hub for original PLAN variant. Just like JF-17, J-XY also employs medium thrust engine (the only difference is number), two platforms have potential to partially unite their supply chain. And we all know land-based variant for whatever jet is by nature only simpler, and better, than its CV variant. For PAF, the 36 J-10C is more like an instant booster (a stop gap move), I believe J-XY could be the long term move.

Last edited:

Very interesting development.

If this bird manages to get fifth-generation avionics, genuine radar-absorbent material, airframe redesigns to reduce its RCS, and a new suite of AAMs, it might potentially come close to matching the performance of the AMCA in the far future.

Not a bad start for a country that was until very recently still mostly reliant on a geriatric fleet of MiG-21 derivatives and Q-5 Fantans.

Last edited:
Very interesting development.

If this bird manages to get fifth-generation avionics, genuine radar-absorbent material, airframe redesigns to reduce its RCS, and a new suite of AAMs, it might potentially come close to matching the performance of the AMCA in the far future.

Not a bad start for a country that was until very recently still mostly reliant on a geriatric fleet of MiG-21 derivatives and Q-5 Fantans.

Sadly... In my opinion J-35 will still come up short against AMCA unless China hire Hindustan Aeronautics Limited engineers to assist and work on the project. :(

Back
Top Bottom