What's new

It's a misconception that the way women dress attracts abuse: Mehwish Hayat

I disagree with mehwish hayat.i am a man and only man knows how it feels when a woman wears see through or other kind of dresses.mehwish hayat is not a man so her comments doesn't make any sense.

By Entertainment Desk
Published: January 23, 2018
1SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1615988-image-1516700686-791-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: SCREENGRAB

Pakistani starlet Mehwish Hayat recently shared her two cents on how a woman dresses has nothing to do with the way she’s treated.

Taking to Instagram, the Punjab Nahi Jaungi actor shared a clip from her blockbuster Actor in Law which also starred Fahad Mustafa. She captioned it, “There is a misconception that the way a woman dresses is what attracts abuse.”

‘Punjab Nahi Jaungi’ becomes highest grossing Pakistani movie of all time

Hayat added, “This is something that we dealt with in my film Actor in Law. When a woman wearing a ‘burkha’ also attracted vilification. The way that a woman dresses has no bearing on the way she is treated. This is simply down to the mentality of some of the misogynistic elements in our society.”

This is not the first time Hayat has been vocal about Times Up campaign that took Hollywood by storm. Sharing her thoughts previously, the Jawani Phir Nahi Ani starlet posted a picture on Instagram in which she was sporting an all-black outfit and captioned it, “It is time for women of the world to stand up for their rights. Today, I wear black in solidarity with my industry colleagues in US and push this message to the women of my own homeland, Pakistan. We are no less than men by virtue of our gender. Harassment of any form is totally unacceptable and we will not tolerate it.”

Hayat made her silver screen debut with the popular item number, Billi in Na Maloom Afraad’s first installment. As much as her spins and twirls were admired (and rightfully so, as she stole everyone’s thunder), she was also severely denounced for pioneering a departed trend that is more often than not, looked down upon.

Farhan Saeed spotted on the sets of ‘Punjab Nahi Jaungi’ and we can’t help but wonder

“I think criticism comes with appreciation. Again, that very situation in Na Maloom Afraad was a goons’ after-party. Billi was a character – she represented the lust of a certain class and none of it was forced,” she justified.

“Look at yesteryear cinema in our country, they even had mujras. It’s not that we’ve been inspired by India or we’ve started something new; it’s been a part of our cinema for ages. Then again, it shouldn’t be vulgar, it should appear sensual and appealing, but there’s a fine line between the two,” she stated.

Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1615988/4-misconception-way-women-dress-attracts-abuse-mehwish-hayat/

Haha this video again :D

IMG-20180327-WA0029.jpg

You have to be utterly foolish to believe such pics prove anything.

Ask any man----ANY MAN----the way woman is dress has a lot to do with the type of attention she gathers naturally. For example, I see a girl A in my class wearing jeans and shirt whatever. Then, I see the same girl at a beach where she's wearing a bikini. Guess during which interaction I'm more likely to notice physical aspects of her body or better yet, under which circumstance would I be more sexually aroused/attracted to her? We all know the answer.

Ofc, it doesn't mean I am an animal and I start touching just because she's naked lol. What I am trying to say is that the way woman dress has a lot to do with what type of attention she attracts from males subconsciously. So clothes are not just unimportant things when it comes to discussion about interaction between gender. They matter...alot.

Some dresses can bring more negative attention on you (depending on where you are). That negative attention can lead to abuse. Is the woman to be blamed for that? Heck no. But should this be a part of an honest conversation about gender-relations, harassment, culturally appropriate behavior? YES.

Ask any man----ANY MAN----the way woman is dress has a lot to do with the type of attention she gathers naturally. For example, I see a girl A in my class wearing jeans and shirt whatever. Then, I see the same girl at a beach where she's wearing a bikini. Guess during which interaction I'm more likely to notice physical aspects of her body or better yet, under which circumstance would I be more sexually aroused/attracted to her? We all know the answer.

Ofc, it doesn't mean I am an animal and I start touching just because she's naked lol. What I am trying to say is that the way woman dress has a lot to do with what type of attention she attracts from males subconsciously. So clothes are not just unimportant things when it comes to discussion about interaction between gender. They matter...alot.

Some dresses can bring more negative attention on you (depending on where you are). That negative attention can lead to abuse. Is the woman to be blamed for that? Heck no. But should this be a part of an honest conversation about gender-relations, harassment, culturally appropriate behavior? YES.

this should be your problem, not the girl’s.

However, modest and decent dressing is something everyone should follow. Men and women.

This is utterly stupid. Nobody is saying that its girls' problem.

However, from safety point of view----you dont want to attract negative attention, esp when you are alone etc. You cant be like "its your problem" to your abuser. So its safe to dress appropriately according to the culture of the land you are in. You cant be wearing shorts in Pakistan and expect everyone else to give you a pass "because its their problem"....you jeopardize your own safety by needlessly bringing negative attention on yourself

Grow up. This isn't barbie fairy tale world of yours. There is appropriate ways of behaving in public in all countries. In Muslim countries, esp Pakistan, dress modestly according to public norms. Common sense

These retards would actually have us believe women's dressing mean nothing to a.....man :disagree::disagree::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Only if feministards had any idea how extremely unintelligent they come off talking like this "WeLL itS YoUR pRoBLEM! I'll WeAR shORts To SwAT ValLEY. I'M inDEpENDT!!!".....like stfu Bibi and be appropriate. Its not that hard

By Entertainment Desk
Published: January 23, 2018
1SHARES
SHARE TWEET EMAIL
1615988-image-1516700686-791-640x480.jpg

PHOTO: SCREENGRAB

Pakistani starlet Mehwish Hayat recently shared her two cents on how a woman dresses has nothing to do with the way she’s treated.

Taking to Instagram, the Punjab Nahi Jaungi actor shared a clip from her blockbuster Actor in Law which also starred Fahad Mustafa. She captioned it, “There is a misconception that the way a woman dresses is what attracts abuse.”

‘Punjab Nahi Jaungi’ becomes highest grossing Pakistani movie of all time

Hayat added, “This is something that we dealt with in my film Actor in Law. When a woman wearing a ‘burkha’ also attracted vilification. The way that a woman dresses has no bearing on the way she is treated. This is simply down to the mentality of some of the misogynistic elements in our society.”

This is not the first time Hayat has been vocal about Times Up campaign that took Hollywood by storm. Sharing her thoughts previously, the Jawani Phir Nahi Ani starlet posted a picture on Instagram in which she was sporting an all-black outfit and captioned it, “It is time for women of the world to stand up for their rights. Today, I wear black in solidarity with my industry colleagues in US and push this message to the women of my own homeland, Pakistan. We are no less than men by virtue of our gender. Harassment of any form is totally unacceptable and we will not tolerate it.”

Hayat made her silver screen debut with the popular item number, Billi in Na Maloom Afraad’s first installment. As much as her spins and twirls were admired (and rightfully so, as she stole everyone’s thunder), she was also severely denounced for pioneering a departed trend that is more often than not, looked down upon.

Farhan Saeed spotted on the sets of ‘Punjab Nahi Jaungi’ and we can’t help but wonder

“I think criticism comes with appreciation. Again, that very situation in Na Maloom Afraad was a goons’ after-party. Billi was a character – she represented the lust of a certain class and none of it was forced,” she justified.

“Look at yesteryear cinema in our country, they even had mujras. It’s not that we’ve been inspired by India or we’ve started something new; it’s been a part of our cinema for ages. Then again, it shouldn’t be vulgar, it should appear sensual and appealing, but there’s a fine line between the two,” she stated.

Have something to add to the story? Share it in the comments below
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1615988/4-misconception-way-women-dress-attracts-abuse-mehwish-hayat/

Haha this video again :D

Hi,

That is not her line---this line is often used in the USA by women rights advocates---.

However, from safety point of view----you dont want to attract negative attention, esp when you are alone etc. You cant be like "its your problem" to your abuser. So its safe to dress appropriately according to the culture of the land you are in. You cant be wearing shorts in Pakistan and expect everyone else to give you a pass "because its their problem"....you jeopardize your own safety by needlessly bringing negative attention on yourself

Grow up. This isn't barbie fairy tale world of yours. There is appropriate ways of behaving in public in all countries. In Muslim countries, esp Pakistan, dress modestly according to public norms. Common sense

These retards would actually have us believe women's dressing mean nothing to a.....man :disagree::disagree::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Only if feministards had any idea how extremely unintelligent they come off talking like this "WeLL itS YoUR pRoBLEM! I'll WeAR shORts To SwAT ValLEY. I'M inDEpENDT!!!".....like stfu Bibi and be appropriate. Its not that hard
Also read Sura Yousaf... modesty applies to men also.

The points you are making wont be understood by feminists. They obstinately consider men as evil. Its misandry. And people who have already made up their minds, you cant argue with them.

Men dont treat women with respect they deserve. I m not arguing against it. Go with your women to any bazaar in Pakistan and see how they stare at women. Its indecent and lecherous. This is an issue with society. The way it looks down on women. It cant be just pinned on men only.

Ufff.....itni aag lag gaye!
thaand rekho thaand.

First of all, women don’t dress for men. They dress for themselves. If men want to behave like animals, not womens fault. waise to men in pakistan get turned on even by 6 or 9 year old girls. I wonder if those girls are also flashing their bodies or giving “inviting” vibes.

and read again what i said. Modest clothes should be worn by everyone.
I come from Saudi Arabia. I have been cat called and harassed IN ABAYA with head scarf. its the mentality never the clothes.

Ban the satanic film industry. Whats next, show cleavage in movies in the name of great cinematic acting?

Pshhh, get out with this bs. This is Pakistan, beware of how far you want to take liberalism in this Country.

Astagfirullah aunty, showing this pic in Ramazan. Astagfirullah. May Allah protect me from evil, Ameen.

Islam asks Women to cover up and asks men not to look at women for sexual pleasure.
That should be the criteria.
These women blindly follow western culture without looking at the results of women nudity in the west.
Thanks but no thanks, don't want that in Islamic Republic of Pakistan

However, modest and decent dressing is something everyone should follow. Men and women.
What is modest and decent ? Isnt modest subjective?

Modest in KSA different then Pakistan. What modest for u is orthodox in west

In dubai bikni is immodest.

In some of the europeon country even bikni at beach is modest ...

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom