What's new

Italy delivering surplus self-propelled howitzers to Pakistan Army

That's really sad, if I am not wrong, we should have ca. now 400 M-109 series, are we shipping them to the US or how are we overhauling our whole Artillery Inventory by foreign company's, everything outside? If we are not overhauling our Artillery inventory in a correct way like you mentioned then it means only half of our equipment is battle ready!@Signalian are we here underestimating our capabilities or is that true?

And what means that here than: "Symbol of Pride"

View attachment 471189
HIT would touch the systems that are responsible for the movement of the equipment and barrel, e.g thr Drive train, Engine, different Cylinders, tracks etc.
Upgradation as some mentioned from A2 to A5 is not done.
Battle worthiness is not an issue, heck we even made old 3.7 Inch, 25 Pdr and old 8 Inch Hows when they had to raise an FCN Artillery Battery for FATA.
The problem is not with upkeep but with lack of innovation, Arty lacks this as compared to other arms.
local Inovations for armour are done at HIT, for Sigs at NRTC for Inf at different places, for Airforce it's at PAC, but for Arty it doesn't exist and we are at mercy of other countries for our needs.
So in short
We have ability of maintaining our inventory, not innovation.
Plan on writing an IRP on the subj.

If I am right, Italy is buying new SPG and hence giving the older SPG to Pakistan. What is the price of each of the SPG? How will Pakistan get the spare parts for it as the SPG is made in USA?

I have read the entire thread but none have answered about the cost.

India has already deployed T90s and old Tanks as artillery guns near LOC and even MBTS deployed at Chinese border with Brahmos.

India is using T55 and T72 at LoC. You may have got confused as T72 appears like T90. These guns are direct line of sight ire,not artillery. Artillery is indirect fire and ires in excess of 20km.

HIT would touch the systems that are responsible for the movement of the equipment and barrel, e.g thr Drive train, Engine, different Cylinders, tracks etc.
Upgradation as some mentioned from A2 to A5 is not done.
Battle worthiness is not an issue, heck we even made old 3.7 Inch, 25 Pdr and old 8 Inch Hows when they had to raise an FCN Artillery Battery for FATA.
The problem is not with upkeep but with lack of innovation, Arty lacks this as compared to other arms.
local Inovations for armour are done at HIT, for Sigs at NRTC for Inf at different places, for Airforce it's at PAC, but for Arty it doesn't exist and we are at mercy of other countries for our needs.
So in short
We have ability of maintaining our inventory, not innovation.
Plan on writing an IRP on the subj.
There is enough innovation going on for example the old 37mm twin barrel ack ack guns have been automated and can be linked to laser range finders and radars. All artillary units are now equippped with locally developed ballistic computers including GPS and much more.

There is enough innovation going on for example the old 37mm twin barrel ack ack guns have been automated and can be linked to laser range finders and radars. All artillary units are now equippped with locally developed ballistic computers including GPS and much more.
The 37 mm Ack Ack is Air Defense and that too very basic.
And for the second point of Artillery Control system, Nope that's not correct sorry.

If I am right, Italy is buying new SPG and hence giving the older SPG to Pakistan. What is the price of each of the SPG? How will Pakistan get the spare parts for it as the SPG is made in USA?

I have read the entire thread but none have answered about the cost.

India is using T55 and T72 at LoC. You may have got confused as T72 appears like T90. These guns are direct line of sight ire,not artillery. Artillery is indirect fire and ires in excess of 20km.
I have given source of my statement.

I have given source of my statement.
Yes, I have seen that. Indian army has confirmed T55 guns and T72 tanks officially. T90 tanks were not confirmed by India. Since T72 looks like T90, it is possible that Pakistan may have gotten confused.

I am not sure but wisdom leads me to believe, Things on all of these supposed outdated guns can be updated. From Barrel to all forms of mechanical and electronic systems from possibly Turkey's indigenous systems they use on their own SP guns.

'If' that is the case then it is big bang for small buck.
If everything can be updated, why not develop indigenous.

If everything can be updated, why not develop indigenous.

are you familiar with the phrase why reinvent the wheel? Pakistan operates them and knows the system inside out there for adding more systems will be easy for logistics and training.

Upgrading them will be cheaper than obtaining a brand new system which takes time to adopt and become mainstream.

But having said that Pakistan is still looking for wheel based SP guns which will complement this. Pakistan has made its money go further.

are you familiar with the phrase why reinvent the wheel? Pakistan operates them and knows the system inside out there for adding more systems will be easy for logistics and training.

Upgrading them will be cheaper than obtaining a brand new system which takes time to adopt and become mainstream.

But having said that Pakistan is still looking for wheel based SP guns which will complement this. Pakistan has made its money go further.

Hi,

Thank you---.

Agree on later count, but how are you so sure that upgrade will be cheaper?
I guess, guns would be requiring overhaul along upgrade and the cost totally depend on the current condition of the guns.
It's an old design, Italy is replacing them with new design. If upgrade was enough, Italy would have gone for it.
IMO, Unless it's an fighter jet, buying old frames of guns with a plan to refurbish them is waste of time, money & resources.
It's like buying an old car.... same model of car can have different mileage and condition from good to worst.
So concluding that the deal is cost wise a profitable deal or not is hard to say.

this is the same company that makes the aw-139 for pakistan
maxresdefault.jpg

these guns were probably a sweetener
Then Leonardo will upgrade the SPs.

Back
Top Bottom