What's new

ISRO launches record 104 satellites into space

SmartSelectImage_2017-02-16-01-50-03.png

Scientific achievement belong to all of mankind and should be celebrated by all. I personally see no concept of nationalistic slogans like Persian, Arabic, Indian, western, Pakistani scientists but see it as one thing that benefits and belongs to all of mankind. Knowledge grows as it spreads. It reaches new levels and new heights. It sees no borders.

So I personally support scientific achievements bcz I see them at a level above the things that divide man.

Indeed it will end us if we do not get out of this cycle. Its the same routine every year and frankly even the news reports are the same. Politicians will always use any means to get power. They couldn't care less.

Maintaining status quo and believe me it will take one politician to suddenly stand up and blame their own incompetence to the other country and get elected and the cycle starts again. I have personally seen that working on development is like studying. You get distracted very easily in other matters especially shooting video games ;). One needs to keep the focus on development ignoring distractions and that requires focus of another Level. Status quo will be a huge distraction.

Agreed but political differences will always be a hindrance to it. Achieving one without solving the other is very hard especially considering the case of both nations.

Indeed.

I personally see Asia, Asia minor and middle east filled with nations ( tes nearly all the nations) that can best any western nation due to the abundance of resources and manpower only if we focus on science, knowledge and development of our society and not be engrossed in petty rivalries but help each other achieve better standing.

I like this.

The ISRO have launched 180 foreign satellites since 1999. The US is by far their biggest customer with 114 satellites launched

Number of satellites launched on behalf of foreign countries:-

US
11 Canada
10 Germany
8 Singapore
6 UK
4 Algeria
3 Indonesia, Japan and Switzerland
2 Israel, Netherlands, Denmark, France and Austria
1 Republic of Korea, Belgium, Argentina, Italy, Turkey, Luxembourg, UAE and Kazakhstan

@Hassan Guy @Matirpola @Kaptaan @Deadpool @Penguin @naveedullahkhankhattak @mohamed ali @Muhammad Omar @GumNaam @Mustang06 @asq @qamar1990 @Verve @A.P. Richelieu

See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_foreign_satellites_launched_by_India

E.g. for the Netherlands
Delfi-C3 https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delfi-C3
PEASS (PiezoElectric Assisted Smart Satellite Structure) http://www.janes.com/article/67729/india-to-set-satellite-launch-record-with-nanosats

Some glimpses from 104 satellite launches.

1. New adoptor lay out was developped for 104 satellite.
2. Some 5500 sequences were studied for the scenario of 104 satellite launch.
3. Vehicle was rotated to avoid collision of satellite.
4. There were 3 payloads on nano satellites of India. One will study the difference in appearance of ground for the same object visible from different angle of sunlight.
5. In earlier launches, recorder was bought for Rs 35 lakh. One scientist said that it is yoo much so they developed a homemade recorder for few thousand.
6 Last cartosat was launched in June or July 16. It requires atleast 6 months to observe new technology to prove its reliability but Kiran kumar gave the deadline of Dec 16 and project director of Cartosat took a wise decision to agree with him rather than arguing with for extention of date.
7 In ISRO, IST means ISRO Standard time which is much faster than Indian standard time. All projects are given very compressed schedule to follow.
8. Foldable lense used in Indian nano satellites which made them very compact.
9. ISRO can launch upto 400 nano satellite in one mission said es ISRO director Madhavan Aiyer.
10 An unique strategy was devised for launch of 104 satellites after studying numerous alternatives.
11 Countdown period reduced to 28 Hours.

Last edited:
You fail to see the point of my post. And answered like a primary school kid (no offense).

How do *you* get benefitted if Bajaj makes motorcycles? Or there is a PSLV/GSLV launch?

Do *you* get money from the govt., a promotion, get to live in a better house, have better govt. facilities? Bajaj gets rich (or the Govt. fat cats get richer with bribes from Govt. contracts), but why are *you* (average Indian schmuck) jumping up and down and cheering??

The answer would be *no*.

How does making motorcycles/buses/cars/trucks in India or shooting off rockets in useless space endeavors help the average citizen (or Sanghi) *personally*?

The answer is still a big, fat *NO*. I think I've made my point. Enough OT talk.

Damn, The butthurt is real!!! Read...Jobs, Money, Indigenisation, Safer and cheaper mode of transport for the average man and so on.

Previous record of Russia was 37 satellites and not 84. ISRO trippled the number.

Bilal, I sympathised with some of what you wrote in the post I quoted (about being able to critique one's own country) but this line of reasoning is silly.

Your original point was about how I benefited from having a banya like Bajaj manufacture motorcyles. Perhaps you wanted to drive home a point about how we benefit from a PSLV launch but choosing a motorcycle (and now cars and buses) as an analogy is quite poor.

While there is something to be said for arguing that benefits from a launch vehicle are not immediately tangible and the odds are high that average citizens will not gain anything from the PSLV, motorcyles and cars are very different products. As per the 2011 census 20% of Indian households had some form of motorised transport - mostly two wheelers - like the ones that Bajaj manufactures. Without people like Bajaj making these products these 20% would have a transportation problem and that in turn would make their lives less productive and in many cases reduce social mobility (like a rural kid who would not be able to bike it to an urban college). As a teenager growing up in India in the 90s I often got a ride to my school on our neighbour's bajaj scooter. On Sundays my dad would drive us all out somewhere on his Bullet (a motorbike). In college my roomate had a second hand Hero Honda bike and we used it frequently to get to movies, take girls out and buy booze from a shop that was quite far away.

To answer your question: Am I "benefitted if Bajaj makes motorcycles" ? The answer is a big fat Yes. Without Bajaj I'd have to take some public bus, suffer a crowd, loose time, get turned off from going distances and have a poorer quality of life. If Tata did not make buses, there'd be no public buses either and I'd probably have to walk. Is Bajaj making a ton of money - sure he is. Would I rather he and I stay equally poor? Nope. I don't mind him making money if I get the opportunity to buy something useful - as opposed to not having that opportunity. Furthermore, being a banya, Bajaj will use some of the profits he makes to set up some new factory - for locally made sewing machines perhaps or tractors - and then some other family will be able to improve their quality of life. If the government makes money some of that will be used to build a flyover or a metro or something else. Will corruption eat some of that - sure it will - but a reality with no bajaj would also be one where no such money (for the govt.) was available - versus the current reality where at least some money is generated.

I sometimes read about Pakistan where the automobile sector has not taken off and think - there are so many middle class Pakistanis who are stuck with having to buy the Suzuki Mehran for want of other options - that too at a ridiculous price for an obsolete platform. Would not their lives be better if some Pakistani Bajaj made an affordable modern car at prices comparable to what latest cars are sold here in India? Of course it would. If someone like you was in charge Suzuki Pakistan would be wound up - and nobody would be able to buy a car anymore.

By your logic - nobody should be manufacturing anything or providing any service - and we'd all be living in the stone age.

Too much effeort to convience an idiot. How can you write so long post to convince him?

Too much effeort to convience an idiot. How can you write so long post to convince him?

Haha, I guess it is a bit long but that's alright by me :) I was fearful it would have degenerated into an even more ugly dissing competition - like we see in many of the threads.

Damn, The butthurt is real!!! Read...Jobs, Money, Indigenisation, Safer and cheaper mode of transport for the average man and so on.

Nice smokescreen and show for the powers that be in your country to hide the real problems to all the gullible dehatis for a few days. Just like all the other 'indigenisation' schemes since Nehruvian times.

Now come back to reality, set down your Pom-Pom's and go indigenise the building of restrooms pronto for the 597 Million people in your country that sorely need it.

That should be the real priority, not launching Rubik's cube size satellites.

Back
Top Bottom