What's new

Israeli Spyder system emerges as front runner for Indian Army's air defence needs

In post #3 I said

" Sir its IAF operating SPYDER MR."

To which you said

" No,IAF uses SPYDER for SR/QR duties the same requirmnets IA have."

Now use some comprehension and tell , did I say anything wrong there ?

Read the whole thread again,

" No,IAF uses SPYDER for SR/QR duties the same requirmnets IA have."

I said,They are using SPYDER MR for the SR/QR 'duties' , not SR SAM it self.

Indian Army according to its RFI issued is looking for a Quick Reaction SAM , in which SPYDER SR was offered by Israel.

IAF was also offered SR version for the LLQRM requirement in 2007(reference above). But in the end IAF chose MR version. If IA have the same requirement then what limits IA from choosing MR version (and calling it QR/SR as IAF did)

Here is the RFI - http://indianarmy.nic.in/writereaddata/RFI/47/rfi-ii-280110.pdf
Maximum Range. Not less than 15 km.
That means it maximum range of 30km + is not a problem.

DRDO QR SAM is also is of 30km (ref above).

If I take hints from similar missile development timelines , tests with seeker and its integration does take at least 2 years, further we are taking about its VL version. That's quite a few years away.

So your guess of 5yr come down to 2yr ? Also, ASTRA uses russian seekers for now and its done by this year end .
New indian seeker will be used in QR SAM and ASTRA. (Ku band seeker developed by RCI will be tested probabily on next test).

It will take 2-3 years to start deliveries if we order spyder today. (IAF ordered SPYDER 2009 when they started delivery ? 2013-14 rite?) That too when not considering the time to conclude price negotiation and CCS,FM approvals.
Its better to wait 2-3 years and make ourself than import pricey mall.

Continuing on the RF seeker front, RCI is also developing a Ku-band seeker for anti-aircraft applications. This is a scaled down version of an existing active radar seeker developed by us and is a requirement for the Astra. System qualification is expected to commence early next year.
An X-band seeker for anti-ship applications is also being pursued very seriously and trials will be held in the first quarter of 2015.

On the radio frequency (RF) seeker front also there is a major thrust. Right from the device i.e source of RF to the stabilization system, to the processing, we are starting a national mission kind of thing. Like we did when it came to developing control laws for the LCA. We have also set up a national mission for engines, for the 1500 HP engine. Now we are setting up a national mission for seekers by involving multiple agencies. We are confident that in the next three years.
http://www.news18.com/blogs/india/saurav-jha/defence-5-10879-748587.html

In case of B8, the systems used by Navy and AF are same

And yet both call them different names. It is up to service to name a system.

Read the whole thread again,

I said,They are using SPYDER MR for the SR/QR 'duties' , not SR SAM it self.

IAF was also offered SR version for the LLQRM requirement in 2007(reference above). But in the end IAF chose MR version. If IA have the same requirement then what limits IA from choosing MR version (and calling it QR/SR as IAF did)

Here is the RFI - http://indianarmy.nic.in/writereaddata/RFI/47/rfi-ii-280110.pdf

That means it maximum range of 30km + is not a problem.

DRDO QR SAM is also is of 30km (ref above).

So your guess of 5yr come down to 2yr ? Also, ASTRA uses russian seekers for now and its done by this year end .
New indian seeker will be used in QR SAM and ASTRA. (Ku band seeker developed by RCI will be tested probabily on next test).

It will take 2-3 years to start deliveries if we order spyder today. (IAF ordered SPYDER 2009 when they started delivery ? 2013-14 rite?) That too when not considering the time to conclude price negotiation and CCS,FM approvals.
Its better to wait 2-3 years and make ourself than import pricey mall.

http://www.news18.com/blogs/india/saurav-jha/defence-5-10879-748587.html

And yet both call them different names. It is up to service to name a system.
Answering from top to bottom

1.I said IAF uses MR version , its correct.
I did not say anything about how IAF uses it ? Did I ?

Further one thing to notice is that SR duties of IA and IAF are different.

While the RFI of Army asked for 15-20 km SAM , IAF asked for 2x greater range SAM. There is a difference of 50%.

2. IA as the RFI said wanted a 15-20km QR SAM.
And as the tests and trials have already been done(with SR version ) , untill the bidding is cancelled , IA cannot go for MR version.

3. I never raised a question about it being not good if its range is more.

What I am saying is , its a bid , and its not about choosing the best , its about choosing the cheapest one which fulfills the requirements.

Adding boosters, changing and upgrading the software of command center to increase the engagement range costs more $$.

4. Read properly.
I said 5 years for its QR version and 2 more years for its A2A version with our seeker.

But if they decide to go ahead with Russian Seeker , then its early.

5. The deliveries of SPYDER was delayed due to corruption charges and investigations.

Untill we are expecting same thing this time, the delivery time is stating from 18 months.

6. B8 ==> Same ==> Yet different names ===> ok
SPYDER SR/MR ===> NOT SAME

2 Different cases.

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom