What's new

Israel will ask to station IAF jets in Cyprus

canadian icehole

Reaction score
Israel will ask to station IAF jets in Cyprus

Israeli officials tell Xinua news agency possibility of offshore airbase will be raised during Netanyahu's upcoming visit to neighboring island

Israeli and Cypriot officials are planning to discuss allowing the Israeli Air Force to station jets in the neighboring island, Chinese news agency Xinua reported Tuesday.

The issue will be raised during Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's scheduled visit to Cyprus later this month, Xinua quoted Israeli officials as saying.

According to the report, an Israeli embassy official told the Cyprus Mail in January that Netanyahu "will come to Cyprus to emphasize the good relations between the two countries and to strengthen the bilateral relations, which are already good."

Xinua said the Cypriot OnlyCy.com website reported that in September 2011 Israel asked Cyprus to permit stationing its aircraft at the Andreas Papandreou airbase in Paphos.

However, an Israeli official told the Chinese news agency this week that the prospect of stationing planes in Cyprus "is at the exploratory stage - it's not clear if it will or won't happen."

The official was quoted as saying that a potential offshore airbase "is an existing option, and we're investigating the possibility," but cautioned that such an agreement "isn't totally sewn up."

In January, Israel and Cyprus signed two defense agreements which Cypriot Minister of Defense Demetris Eliades said "set the basis for the further development of relations in the area of defense cooperation."

well I think this base is Useless unless Israel have plans for attacking UK

Well its cyprus's decision to make. Anyway what will israel achieve by stationing its jets in cyprus??

If this were to happen Turkey would probably turn Greek Cyprus into stone age.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

Well its cyprus's decision to make. Anyway what will israel achieve by stationing its jets in cyprus??

It is a strategic move by Israel to show its allegiance to Greece against Turkey, remember half of Cyprus belongs to Turkey. But as i said, Turkey would not allow such a move.

Why the heading say's Cyprus.... it should be either Turkey or Greece....

This will never happen as it will pose direct threat to Syria, Turkey and Lebanon.

I think they are doing this just to check arms being smuggled to Lebanon and Syria or to stop arms being shipped out after the fall of Assad Regime.

This will also help them to keep a track of Iranian Navy Sub and other ships attacking Isreal from sea in case of War.

If this were to happen Turkey would probably turn Greek Cyprus into stone age.

---------- Post added at 01:49 PM ---------- Previous post was at 01:48 PM ----------

It is a strategic move by Israel to show its allegiance to Greece against Turkey, remember half of Cyprus belongs to Turkey. But as i said, Turkey would not allow such a move.

LOL Greece fighting in their condition??
Actually i am very amazed with israels stupidity. They are pi$$ing of the iranians, now they wanna get involved with turkey

LOL Greece fighting in their condition??
Actually i am very amazed with israels stupidity. They are pi$$ing of the iranians, now they wanna get involved with turkey
And i`m amazed by your stupidity since Turkey has done everything in it`s power to antagonize us. From allowing Hamas to visit them and calling them peaceful people to sending terrorists to break the blockade on Gaza.
No this leadership is no friend to Israel, though Turks are not our enemies.

This base will serve to protect our oil and gas explorations.

And i`m amazed by your stupidity since Turkey has done everything in it`s power to antagonize us. From allowing Hamas to visit them and calling them peaceful people to sending terrorists to break the blockade on Gaza.
No this leadership is no friend to Israel, though Turks are not our enemies.

This base will serve to protect our oil and gas explorations.

You will only dream about having a base in Cyprus

turkey will not allow this

You do know that there is a Greek Cypriot part of Cyprus as well don't you? And Israel and Greece are getting warm enough with each other to have a negotiating base. The target is not going to be Turkey anyway so why would Turkey bother?

You do know that there is a Greek Cypriot part of Cyprus as well don't you? And Israel and Greece are getting warm enough with each other to have a negotiating base. The target is not going to be Turkey anyway so why would Turkey bother?

you should read about Cyprus missile crisis and the impact Turkey has over Greek cyprus and Greece. they shouldn't push us to the limit. their economy is on a steady way to hell and pressuring Turkey is not a good move!

and a little probability, this may cause some Arab countries to recognize KKTC (Turkish Republic of Cyprus). wich Cyrpus wouldn't want!

Iran should negotiate with Turkey to station her jets on Turkish part of Cyprus........ This is gonna pizz off Izzraeeli's big time. :bunny:

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom