What's new

Is Urdu under threat?

Lalashersingh

BANNED

New Recruit

Reaction score
Do you guys think that Classic Urdu is under threat of extinction?

I recently saw a movie called in In Custody/Muhafiz (1993) by Ismail Merchant ( it's on youtube, can someone post it?)

what a beautiful, yet very sad film! showing the death of Urdu language in India and it being replaced by Hindi every where

It's a must watch movie! because it shows the death of Urdu, as well as the classic muslim culture of the subcontinent

do you think this is also happening in Pakistan?

No. Its actually the opposite in Pakistan. Urdu is actually threatening the existence of other languages most notably punjabi.

Hindi in todays india is very much diluted by Urdu. So some would rather call it Hurdu.

Classic muslim culture is certainly in trouble as many people have adapted western culture, but this can be said about many other cultures.

Punjabi is more threatened in Pakistan.

We don't have any Punjabi newspaper....

Punjabis of Pakistanis see Punjabi as a 'paindu' language and hence discourage their children from speaking...

Hindi is a sh!t language as compared to superior Urdu...

Urdu still has millions of speakers...hundreds of newspapers are written in Urdu in Pakistan/India....Urdu music scene in Pakistan is booming....Pakistani Media uses Urdu language..Urdu Drama Industry is booming...

Only thing missing is strong Urdu film industry...

Punjabi on the other hand has no such supports in Pakistan...

Punjabis of Pakistanis see Punjabi as a 'paindu' language and hence discourage their children from speaking...

Urdu still has millions of speakers...hundreds of newspapers are written in Urdu in Pakistan/India....Urdu music scene in Pakistan is booming....Pakistani Media uses Urdu language..Urdu Drama Industry is booming...

My country, my language, my religion is great and everyone else is just sh! t. People who do not know how to talk respectfully should least talk about beauty of language.

Urdu was imposed on us casually. Seriously speaking it has no origin, history and culture in Pakistan. Lots of people back in the day spoke Farsi/Dari and at homes, the local Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashto, Kashmiri, Balochi etc.

In my opinion, Urdu is getting increasingly influential in Pakistan at the cost of regional languages. I'm not sure, but from what I've seen most schools in the Punjab don't even teach Punjabi nowadays. An exponentially increasing percentage of the younger demographic of the population is being exposed to and influenced by Urdu as it is a (I think) compulsory subject in most Pakistani schools in every province. Although there is some threat of Urdu suffering slightly due to the usage of the English language in modern forms of communication such as the social and electronic media, I don't think it is anywhere near extinction for now.

isn't punjabi spoken in much of rural areas? I think punjabi can not die as long as it's spoken in 70% of rural Punjab. Urdu is only spoken in the cities, and many of new generation doesn't know anything about classical Urdu, they are basically speaking mix of Urdu/english/hindi, this is why I think Urdu days are numbered, at least in it's pure form

Urdu was imposed on us casually. Seriously speaking it has no origin, history and culture in Pakistan. Lots of people back in the day spoke Farsi/Dari and at homes, the local Punjabi, Sindhi, Pashto, Kashmiri, Balochi etc.

Urdu was always spoken in Lahore.

My country, my language, my religion is great and everyone else is just sh! t. People who do not know how to talk respectfully should least talk about beauty of language.

C'mon..even indians regard Urdu as more delicate than rough Hindi..

anyways, apology for any feelings hurt..

isn't punjabi spoken in much of rural areas? I think punjabi can not die as long as it's spoken in 70% of rural Punjab. Urdu is only spoken in the cities, and many of new generation doesn't know anything about classical Urdu, they are basically speaking mix of Urdu/english/hindi, this is why I think Urdu days are numbered, at least in it's pure form

"Spoken" ..yes...but languages aren't preserve just b/c they are 'spoken'.... You have to have very strong literary tradition, poetry, arts, music etc..

Punjabi in Pakistan lacks all of it...

Also, Urdu is Urdu..languages evolve over time..English of today is completely different than "pure" English of 10th century..but we can't say that English has died...

Urdu will evolve too and get influences of other languages...nothing big...

Pakistan needs to strengthen the local languages..Students of Sindh should also study Sindhi...Punjabi students should study Punjab...Same for Balochi and Pashto...

"Spoken" ..yes...but languages aren't preserve just b/c they are 'spoken'.... You have to have very strong literary tradition, poetry, arts, music etc..

Also, Urdu is Urdu..languages evolve over time..English of today is completely different than "pure" English of 10th century..but we can't say that English has died...

Pakistan needs to strengthen the local languages..Students of Sindh should also study Sindhi...Punjabi students should study Punjab...Same for Balochi and Pashto...

Dude you can say Urdu is better than Hindi, no problem. I was unhappy with word S!ht.

But Punjabi has a visible threat, the threat to urdu is more silent it's creepy the way our own media sneaks up one or two hindi words in a thousand and slowly starts to take over like a cancer no days you see so many cheap people proudly speaking urdu like that in pakistan

How necessary is it to display' intellect' & bring in out of context issues ?

Well said

Urdu should evolve using languages that have something to offer, but hindi is like a devolution

Do you guys think that Classic Urdu is under threat of extinction?

I recently saw a movie called in In Custody/Muhafiz (1993) by Ismail Merchant ( it's on youtube, can someone post it?)

what a beautiful, yet very sad film! showing the death of Urdu language in India and it being replaced by Hindi every where

It's a must watch movie! because it shows the death of Urdu, as well as the classic muslim culture of the subcontinent

do you think this is also happening in Pakistan?

Urdu is thriving in Pakistan. It is the strongest language in Pakistan and it cannot be replaced by any regional language.

Sindhi is only spoken in Rural Sindh. Even the Sindhis speak Urdu in Karachi and Hyderabad.

Punjabi is spoken all over Punjab but educated Punjabi families prefer to speak to their children in Urdu. As long as Urdu is alive and well in Punjab, Urdu will not be threatened in Pakistan as the National Language of Pakistan.

Pushto and Balochi languages are widely spoken in their province but still Urdu is widely spoken and understood in those Provinces.

Urdu is also the " BRIDGE " language that people of different Provinces use to communicate with each other. This is the main reason why Urdu was declared the National Language of Pakistan.

Urdu Language and Urdu Culture has a strong influence on Pakistan.

pakistani punjabis are very broad minded people.can any indian or any person in this world even for a moment think of not even having his native tongue as a subject in his school?govts fall,civil wars break out if any govt even entertains such thoughts.the magnanimity of pak punjabis doesnt just end there.they even adopted urdu and gave it the royal status.they are so large hearted tht they dont even encourage news papers or television channels in their lang.the entire world needs to take inspirationfrm thm

on a serious note any society which does not respect its native tongue will lose its identity and culture and eventually perish.

Back
Top Bottom