What's new

Is there a doctor in the house?

According to what you said, MRI reports what is known as "Footballer's triad", a diagnosis taught in final year of MBBS.Its surprising that both your Radiologist and Orthopedic surgeon missed it.
IIRC, Micheal Essien had similar injury few years ago and it wrecked his career.Even with the best physiotherapy available, it is very difficult to come back 100% from this injury, especially if its a repeat injury.

Treatment is an autograft of ACL while MCL and medial meniscus heal with time.Typically, a determined athlete who is in great shape and getting the best physiotherapy will take 8-12 months to reach peak fitness levels.However, since physiotherapy is still quite rudimentary in the sub-continent, its safe to assume you will probably take more time than that.

P.S - Interesing trivia for those interested- The name Cruciate Ligament comes from Latin word "Crucio" which means pain (Remember Harry Potter?).The word cross also comes from the same word - Crucio (because crucifixion is painful!).These ligaments pass over each other resembling a cross, hence the name cruciate.

Arthroscopy is a full surgery, it is a modern method and avoids open join surgery which is quite complex and difficult to perform. If you had arthroscopy you don't need any further surgeries. Did you have just an ACL repair or complete reconstruction as i had? Just concentrate on physio therapy as it will take you at least a year to recover and even than your knee will not be back to 100 percent pre accident level, It is just something you'll have to live with. I had my operation in Feb and even till now i feel pain and wobblyness in my leg and i cannot bend my leg completely.

According to what you said, MRI reports what is known as "Footballer's triad", a diagnosis taught in final year of MBBS.Its surprising that both your Radiologist and Orthopedic surgeon missed it.
IIRC, Micheal Essien had similar injury few years ago and it wrecked his career.Even with the best physiotherapy available, it is very difficult to come back 100% from this injury, especially if its a repeat injury.

Treatment is an autograft of ACL while MCL and medial meniscus heal with time.Typically, a determined athlete who is in great shape and getting the best physiotherapy will take 8-12 months to reach peak fitness levels.However, since physiotherapy is still quite rudimentary in the sub-continent, its safe to assume you will probably take more time than that.

P.S - Interesing trivia for those interested- The name Cruciate Ligament comes from Latin word "Crucio" which means pain (Remember Harry Potter?).The word cross also comes from the same word - Crucio (because crucifixion is painful!).These ligaments pass over each other resembling a cross, hence the name cruciate.

Well i had my surgery and apparently the MRI was read wrong and both my menisci were intact. My ACL was reconstructed using a graft from my Patellar tendon. It has been 7 months but i am still about 70 recovered, also i've not been going for physio therapy sessions because i haven't had time.

Well i had my surgery and apparently the MRI was read wrong and both my menisci were intact. My ACL was reconstructed using a graft from my Patellar tendon. It has been 7 months but i am still about 70 recovered, also i've not been going for physio therapy sessions because i haven't had time.

AFAIK, in these cases the menisci(sp?) are the least of surgeon's worries since they don't need any treatment anyways.
Just keep working with your therapist and good luck in your recovery!

Back
Top Bottom