What's new

Is there a doctor in the house?

F86 Saber

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Need some advice...... Busted my knee doing a Pirouette (Football buffs will know). Knee swelled, went to a doctor who advised rest. Rested for 8 months, went on the field one day and was just doing some kicks and knee buckled again (same thing happened 8 months ago a few times after the first incident). This time doctor suggested an MRI.

MRI shows Anterior Cruciate Ligament complete tear, Medial Meniscus complete tear, Lateral Meniscus complete tear.

I showed the report to my Ortho, he said that since your symptoms do not reciprocate the MRI, it may not be giving a 100% accurate result (Since i can walk normally with minimal discomfort). However, he tested my knee and i experience extreme pain in the ACL test. He now suggested me to see an Orthoscopic Surgeon who may suggest an Orthoscopic Surgery.

I have a few questions,

1. Can the result of the MRI really be inaccurate (Got it done from place with latest MRI machine in Lahore), my doc said maybe the Ortho didn't read it right because if we go by the MRI reading i should not be able to stand much less walk with minimal discomfort.

2. What is the success rate for Orthoscopic Surgery, will i be able to continue sports?

3. What is the normal recovery time for this procedure? After how long will i be able to walk?

4. What can be the repercussions if i leave my knee as it is?

Also if someone can suggest a good Orthopedic Surgeon specializing in sports injuries in Lahore i shall be very thankful.

@Elmo @ANTIBODY @Monkey D Luffy @Emmie

Did I miss a Doctor ? :undecided:

P.S I'm sort of a Football buff (followed Liverpool since the time of Houlier - thats '01) but I dunno the heck a 'pirouette' is ? Or is it the 360 turn you're talking about during a run ?

Last edited by a moderator:
Cone to india we have sone of the best ortho surgeons in the world

Yes you missed @S.U.R.B

My father was a good cricketer at national level (but couldn't make it to International team just like his cousin, who have played with Wasim Akram, Imran Khan and others. However, this is not the point here). One day during fielding at the boundary, the raced a few meters away him and in attempt to stop it, he ran behind it and barely made it and tried to stop it with his left foot. His foot came on the ball and he injured himself. He visited doctor facing extreme pain and after some tests including MRI, the doctor told him to give up his career since MOST of the ligament was torn and there is nothing he could do about it.

The doctor was a senior physician and looks after sports injuries of international level sportsmen. With this experience, he was strongly against surgery saying it's very risky and if anything goes wrong, he is not going to be able to walk again. Alternately, he recommended sessions of physiotherapy and a lot of exercise basically including running and jogging. It was painful and hard for the first year and half for him, but with his hard-work and dedication he had repaired the damage and not only was able to walk normally again but even joined back with high performance. His best over (Maiden over with 5 wickets) was after his comeback.

But since you're mentioning complete tear to the ligament, I would say that it will probably take longer than 16 months upto 30 months. You figure the rest out.

Good Luck.

P.S I'm sort of a Football buff (followed Liverpool since the time of Houlier - thats '01) but I dunno the heck a 'pirouette' is ? Or is it the 360 turn you're talking about during a run ?

Yup. It is that one. You stop the ball with one leading foot, turn, and take the ball with you on the second, all in one smooth flow. Zidane did it quite often, so did Henry a few times.

Aray bhai, do the easy job, GOOGLE!!!

BTW on topic now, footballers usually remain out for sometime due to multiple tears, and that totally blows up their knee for a good time (ends careers kind of stuff, unless surgery does something). That is what I have observed.

BTW, did you get a knock on the back of the knee or something, or just twisted it badly?

Need some advice...... Busted my knee doing a Pirouette (Football buffs will know). Knee swelled, went to a doctor who advised rest. Rested for 8 months, went on the field one day and was just doing some kicks and knee buckled again (same thing happened 8 months ago a few times after the first incident). This time doctor suggested an MRI.

MRI shows Anterior Cruciate Ligament complete tear, Medial Meniscus complete tear, Lateral Meniscus complete tear.

I showed the report to my Ortho, he said that since your symptoms do not reciprocate the MRI, it may not be giving a 100% accurate result (Since i can walk normally with minimal discomfort). However, he tested my knee and i experience extreme pain in the ACL test. He now suggested me to see an Orthoscopic Surgeon who may suggest an Orthoscopic Surgery.

I have a few questions,

1. Can the result of the MRI really be inaccurate (Got it done from place with latest MRI machine in Lahore), my doc said maybe the Ortho didn't read it right because if we go by the MRI reading i should not be able to stand much less walk with minimal discomfort.

2. What is the success rate for Orthoscopic Surgery, will i be able to continue sports?

3. What is the normal recovery time for this procedure? After how long will i be able to walk?

4. What can be the repercussions if i leave my knee as it is?

Also if someone can suggest a good Orthopedic Surgeon specializing in sports injuries in Lahore i shall be very thankful.

I second your ortho surgeon, you must consult one who deals with arthroscopic surgeries. He will reassess you and if necessary will perform the surgery. Don't bother, this peculiar type of surgery is least invasive.

Answers to your queries.

1. Quite unlikely, I am sure the MRI was interpreted wrongly, I'd suggest you to get it rechecked.

2. Well it depends how expertly the damage is repaired, how do you comply with postoperative instructions, physiotherapy etc. People do resume their sports after the surgery.

3. Depends on the extend of the tears, complete recovery may take from a few weeks to months. Dealing surgeon is the one who could tell when to stand and walk. If ACL is reconstructed then recovery takes bit time.

4. Again depends, if physiotherapy alone serves you well then you may say no to arthroscopic intervention. But I doubt this way you'll be able to continue your sport..

Can't suggest a good doc in Lahore.

P.S: Your best guide is an orthopedic surgeon, not every doctor can help you immaculately with your queries.

Yup. It is that one. You stop the ball with one leading foot, turn, and take the ball with you on the second, all in one smooth flow. Zidane did it quite often, so did Henry a few times.

BTW on topic now, footballers usually remain out for sometime due to multiple tears, and that totally blows up their knee for a good time (ends careers kind of stuff, unless surgery does something). That is what I have observed.

BTW, did you get a knock on the back of the knee or something, or just twisted it badly?

Yeah did Zidane come to mind ! But dude I play as a Central Defensive Mid or a Centre Back - I leave these moves to some of the more creative players around me ! :undecided:

I've had some nasty injuries due to tackling or being tackled (my left foot has never been the same !) but how could doing a pirouette bust one's knee...? :what:

A sprain in the ankle yes (I've seen people get one) but a bust knee ?

On topic : I don't even know what an arthroscopic surgery is ? :blink:

But if its an ortho surgeon you're looking for, I'd get back to you today with a name or two of some of the better ones in Lahore !

Yup, Pirouette is, as you described, a 360 turn with the ball perfected by the great Zizou... I was actually in the middle of the turn and had my foot planted on the ball when a guy kicked the ball. My leg was jammed and my body twisted and i felt a sudden pop in my knee followed by sharp pain. When i stood up my knee felt weak and wobbly and swelled up bad later the same day.

I second your ortho surgeon, you must consult one who deals with arthroscopic surgeries. He will reassess you and if necessary will perform the surgery. Don't bother, this peculiar type of surgery is least invasive.

Answers to your queries.

1. Quite unlikely, I am sure the MRI was interpreted wrongly, I'd suggest you to get it rechecked.

2. Well it depends how expertly the damage is repaired, how do you comply with postoperative instructions, physiotherapy etc. People do resume their sports after the surgery.

3. Depends on the extend of the tears, complete recovery may take from a few weeks to months. Dealing surgeon is the one who could tell when to stand and walk. If ACL is reconstructed then recovery takes bit time.

4. Again depends, if physiotherapy alone serves you well then you may say no to arthroscopic intervention. But I doubt this way you'll be able to continue your sport..

Can't suggest a good doc in Lahore.

P.S: Your best guide is an orthopedic surgeon, not every doctor can help you immaculately with your queries.

Thanks for the explanation, my only concern is that i have a job to do and i want to waste my LFA in bed after the surgery so i wanted to ask how much time after the Orthoscopy can i go to work?

I am not doctor but I have seen such problems in my family and if I am not wrong your knee is twisting and you are falling off as your body can't handle your weight. The best way is rest and let the tissue handle it but if supporting tissues are broken then surgery for ACL is the best thing. My sister gone through that operation and she had best ACL transplants. She walked with support for around 2-3 weeks and then did some physiotherapy after 6 months she is fine and doing daily chores and even dances.

This all we did from Sports Injury Center in New Delhi which was opened during CWG games and specialized in sports injuries like yours. So Please check this option in Pakistan.

PS: My Knee twisted some 4 months ago in Canada while Playing cricket and fell down 2-3 times on road while walking as it twisted. I did Ultrasound and everything seems fine so Just rested for 4 months and I am good now.

So i finally had the surgery this Friday and as it turned out my Menisci were fine. So the doctor replaced my ACL by taking a graft from my Patellar Tendon. I am now on bed rest for a week and will be on crutches for up to 4 weeks afterwards.

So i finally had the surgery this Friday and as it turned out my Menisci were fine. So the doctor replaced my ACL by taking a graft from my Patellar Tendon. I am now on bed rest for a week and will be on crutches for up to 4 weeks afterwards.

Get well soon. I knew it was coming. Dont play for next 6 months.

Thanks....

By the way, my doc told me that i'd be wearing a knee brace (that has my knee locked at a 30 degree angle) and will be walking on crutches for about 4 weeks. I find it too long since i've googled it and mostly after acl reconstruction the doctors have their patients walking without crutches after 10 days to 2 weeks.

Thanks....

By the way, my doc told me that i'd be wearing a knee brace (that has my knee locked at a 30 degree angle) and will be walking on crutches for about 4 weeks. I find it too long since i've googled it and mostly after acl reconstruction the doctors have their patients walking without crutches after 10 days to 2 weeks.
@F86 Saber
Hi F86 Saber,

I hope your surgery has gone well and you are back to your normal activities. Actually, I'm facing same problem since an accident a couple of years ago. My ACL was damaged and I opted for arthoscopy at Ittefaq Hospital on recommendation of a famous doc there. Haq Orthopaedic also advised to go for arthoscopy. Its been an year since surgery but looks like it made no difference. My knee still has some abnormal movement and if I do knee intensive exercise, it pains, though not too much.

Looks like I also have to go for proper surgery like yours. Can you please tell me from which hospital/doc you were treated? What about the results now? If you can share your contact number, that would be great. I want to know someone's experience before going to a consultant.

Regards,
Bilal

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom