What's new

Is the Lahore Metrobus a folly or far-sighted?

One should go for Light Rail if planned right and if there is need for creating capacity. If i'm not wrong, Dehli's BRT is a failure. Besides, I see that the stations are not long enough to accommodate a train.

Here something interesting about Delhi:

Yup. But first many cities create BRT as it costs the least. A light rail would cost much more than a BRT.
Delhi's BRT is a mixed bag. The bus users generally appreciate it though it was made without accompanying aids to the pedestrian traffic. For the private vehicle users though it has made the stretch absolute hell has half the road capacity has been diverted for the BRT.

Delhi does not need to convert the BRT to Rail based. A large Metro system already runs in addition to the BRT.
Delhi is still planning on expanding the BRT though in addition to massively expanding its metro system. Both systems are complimentary.

Ahmedabad has been the most successful BRT I believe. Now other cities are following the Ahmedabad pattern instead of the Delhi one.

Infrastructure is key to all cities.A properly implemented BRTS project can save millions of liters of fuel every year as public will start using public transports rather than private vehicles.Which will indeed help saving considerable amount of money in fuel imports.Which can be used in ailing power sector in Pakistan.As I said some idiots will never understand the importance of investment in public transport.

lol

This will run on subsidies. This was an ill planned project that has complicated traffic in the city.

Its all about priorities. I would much rather have spent this money on a million in Faisalabad who have lost their jobs due to electricity shortage and have resulted in huge crime rates.

Priorities.

You do not build a boat while the person is drowning.

lol

This will run on subsidies. This was an ill planned project that has complicated traffic in the city.

Its all about priorities. I would much rather have spent this money on a million in Faisalabad who have lost their jobs due to electricity shortage and have resulted in huge crime rates.

Priorities.

Almost every transport system in the world runs on subsidies. That is nothing new. The benefits far outweigh the costs.

On principle, the BRT system was needed in a teeming city like Lahore. I have read some absolutely ridiculous arguments by Pakistani's on how the BRT is wrong, and frankly they deserve to be corrected.

However on the question of priorities - I cannot comment. Pakistani's would know better what their immediate needs are.

lol

Priorities.

Here we go again. You PTI fanboys would anything but never give credit where its due. This is not an ill planned project. The number of commuters are increasing daily, created jobs and has surpassed expectations. You are fool to think everything was done this year. The line which it has been built on was planned by Shahbaz Sharif in the 90s, with the help of a Japanese company for a Subway System compromising of ground/elevated portions. What difference does it make if its a bus or a train. It can be converted anytime. What matters the most is people benefiting it.

Punjab produces 700-1000 MW of electricity of its own. Tell your PPP partners to stop stealing electricity and diverting the line. Its Amazing. Every corner of Pakistan is facing load shedding, all except Karachi, a city having so much wealth still considered one of the most dangerous areas of Pakistan.

You will see Faisalabad after May 11. People there know who the real enemies are.

lol

Priorities.

All public transport run on some form of Govt subsidies.That's why they are called public transport.What ever you say,I don't care about your priorities and I don't know about the planning of this project.But let me tell Developing countries like India and Pakistan good public transport systems are the way forward.Those who argue about this fact are utter morons.Even a not so well implemented public transport system is better than nothing.First time there will always be mistakes,but from those people will learn.When DMRC first started construction of Delhi metro they were criticized for Construction accidents and shoddy project implementation.But then they learned from there mistake and now they are an expert in this field.And often called for consultation around the country and even abroad.

All public transport run on some form of Govt subsidies.That's why they are called public transport.What ever you say,I don't care about your priorities and I don't know about the planning of this project.But let me tell Developing countries like India and Pakistan good public transport systems are the way forward.Those who argue about this fact are utter morons.Even a not so well implemented public transport system is better than nothing.First time there will always be mistakes,but from those people will learn.When DMRC first started construction of Delhi metro they were criticized for Construction accidents and shoddy project implementation.But then they learned from there mistake and now they are an expert in this field.And often called for consultation around the country and even abroad.

Did not like the word moron. Shows how desperate you are.

Anyways, there is no doubt about investment in public transport.

But there are priorities. This money was desperately needed for power generation. This circus could have waited.

In india, you have a thicker population density which makes it a priority. But in lahore, this was a moronic idea and nothing more than a gimmick.

Did not like the word moron. Shows how desperate you are.

Anyways, there is no doubt about investment in public transport.

But there are priorities. This money was desperately needed for power generation. This circus could have waited.

In india, you have a thicker population density which makes it a priority. But in lahore, this was a moronic idea and nothing more than a gimmick.

I am not gonna argue what Lahore needs and what it doesn't.I don't care.But those who argue about public transportation are really morons.And India needs a lot of such investment,its because of the population density but because such systems improve quality of life in the city.

Here we go again. You PTI fanboys would anything but never give credit where its due. This is not an ill planned project. The number of commuters are increasing daily, created jobs and has surpassed expectations. You are fool to think everything was done this year. The line which it has been built on was planned by Shahbaz Sharif in the 90s, with the help of a Japanese company for a Subway System compromising of ground/elevated portions. What difference does it make if its a bus or a train. It can be converted anytime. What matters the most is people benefiting it.

Punjab produces 700-1000 MW of electricity of its own. Tell your PPP partners to stop stealing electricity and diverting the line. Its Amazing. Every corner of Pakistan is facing load shedding, all except Karachi, a city having so much wealth still considered one of the most dangerous areas of Pakistan.

You will see Faisalabad after May 11. People there know who the real enemies are.

you sure ?? :angel: what i know feasibility was done in PML Q's Tenure by Japnese firm :angel:

punjab is facing loadshedding cz of PML N they played politics on name of politics and made not a single power plant for punjab

History

The system was first proposed in 1991 and was updated in 1993 by Lahore Traffic and Transport Studies, funded by the World Bank. The project was subsequently shelved.[1]
In 2005, the Transport Department of Pakistan revisited the project and carried out a feasibility study and in 2007, the Asian Development Bank provided PKR1 billion to conduct a study on the project.[2] An 82 km (51 mi) long rail network with 60 stations was to be constructed in four separate phases as a part of the project. The first phase involved construction of a 27 km (17 mi) km railway line called green line which would include an 11.6 km (7.2 mi) underground network. This line would carry 250,000–300,000 passengers after construction.[3] The construction was expected to start in 2008 and complete in 2010.[2] However, the new Pakistani government in 2008, shifted its priorities to other projects.[4]
In June 2010, Malaysia based Scomi International proposed a US$1.15 billion monorail–based alternative to LRMTS. However, the project was not approved as the Chinese government agreed to loan the LRMTS US$1.8 billion.[2] The infrastructural investment required in LRMTS was US$61.9 million per km which was higher than the average range of US$13–50 million per km for similar projects.[5]
In 2012, the LRMTS was abandoned in favour of more cost–effective Lahore Metro Bus System by the Punjab government.

And you Know Why Lahore Metro Train Project was Abandoned ;) it was all happend after 30 oct 2011 :lol: and there was no time for PML N to make metro train project they jumped into Metro bus project so that they could beg for votes in 2013 elections :D

Hi, I think metro bus is a good idea, it was needed sooner or latter. I just hope they do something about the security situation of metro bus regarding terrorism and criminals.

you sure ?? :angel: what i know feasibility was done in PML Q's Tenure by Japnese firm :angel:

punjab is facing loadshedding cz of PML N they played politics on name of politics and made not a single power plant for punjab

LRMT8.jpg

:lol:

In 1991 during Nawaz Sharif’s termas prime minister, the feasibility of a light rail transit system was determined by Japanese development organisation (JICA). It had proposed a 13 kilometre long system. The study was reviewed and updated as part of the World Bank funded “Lahore traffic and transport studies” in 1993.

The system’s cost was estimated at about US $400 million, but with better network coverage. In 1995 Japan proposed financing the original scheme with grants and loans of about US $495 million, but the project could not be implemented due to many reasons.

There have been plans to start for a mass transit project for the last twenty years. A transport master plan of Lahore prepared by JICA in 1991 recommended mass transit on the Ferozepur Road. The project was shelved after the issue of funding could not be solved. After that, the project was revived in 1997-98. The government was close to signing an agreement when the nuclear blasts were conducted and the government was eventually toppled.

This same green line has been studied very carefully. I'm sure the Turkish companies are not stupid while conducting feasibility. They have approved it like JICA did. As i said, if capacity is the issue,, this BRT can be converted anytime.

Pervez Elahi tenue

Back in July 2007, it was reported in Daily Times that Passengers of the Lahore Rapid Mass Transit (LRMT) would be charged Rs 125 to Rs 140 to travel from one end to the other of the 27 kilometre-long Green Line.
:fie:
Sources associated with the project told Daily Times on Thursday that this (Rs 125-Rs 140) one-side fare had been calculated after taking into account the rendered $2.5 billion cost of the project, which is expected to be completed by 2011. Sources said that to pay back the loan likely to be incurred on the LRMT project, the government would have to charge high fares from the passengers.

If you have so much faith in him and you think he was so ambitious then why didn't he actually start the tangible project ? What was he doing all this time ?

It doesn't stop. SS captured a guy from PML-Q, who was residing in Dubai. He worked on the LRMT paper project and did massive corruption. Pervez Elahi was a leader for the elites. He started working on that Mubarak Centre, the Imax Theatre, New Punjab Assembly. When SS came to power, he cancelled these projects so money is not wasted and he was right to point out that they were unnecessary projects. Had they been private projects, not involving Punjab Government, i would not have any issue.

Only a complete idiot or politically motivated moron will oppose a modern public transit system in a mega city severely lacking in such systems, and most of the critiques don't need public transit systems to commute. Ask someone who needs to travel by bus to work and home in a decent and time-efficient manner.

LRMT8.jpg

:lol:

This same green line has been studied very carefully. I'm sure the Turkish companies are not stupid while conducting feasibility. They have approved it like JICA did. As i said, if capacity is the issue,, this BRT can be converted anytime.

Pervez Elahi tenue

:fie:

If you have so much faith in him and you think he was so ambitious then why didn't he actually start the tangible project ? What was he doing all this time ?

It doesn't stop. SS captured a guy from PML-Q, who was residing in Dubai. He worked on the LRMT paper project and did massive corruption. Pervez Elahi was a leader for the elites. He started working on that Mubarak Centre, the Imax Theatre, New Punjab Assembly. When SS came to power, he cancelled these projects so money is not wasted and he was right to point out that they were unnecessary projects. Had they been private projects, not involving Punjab Government, i would not have any issue.

for your last part i am not talking about who did corruption who did what cz i know metro bus project cost is higher then 60 billion rupee cost and steel used in metro bus project is from unknown company surely it will be itefaaq foundary steel lol and about Mubarak centre project dude this project was going to boom the economy of punjab and lahore but your Ganja sharif as came in power kicked the foreign investor tavun and started farting around and the group also showed middle finger to him when ganja visited UAE many times so that the big whole on site of Mubarak Centre Could be Filled up with some project lol

If pervaiz elahi was leader of elite then why Shahbaz sharif didnt demolished the Arfa Karim It Tower cz in this tower multi billion dollar companies were going to make offices and now SS proudly setup a IT university in a IT tower which was meant to create IT jobs lol :D SS is a brainless vision less leader not a Single IT Related project made in his tenure while pervaiz elahi made 2 IT towers one is Arfa Karim and second one is Shaheen Complex with private sector investment

SS not only Cancelled Mubarak Centre Project he Also Demolished Huge number of Buildings in punjab where local pakistani punjabis lost Billions of rupees and cz of this stupidity of this brainless child investors stopped hands on investing in huge projects in lahore on gulberg Main Bulavourd you can see many Buildings in complete and Demolished ones there

ISLAMABAD: None other than the World Bank has severely opposed the government’s proposal to grant first-usage right to the province producing electricity, arguing the policy does not make sense for an integrated power system, reveal official documents available with The News.

“The bank also expressed its opinion that the policy will most likely be economically inefficient since it will preclude the trade of power across the provinces,” the documents state. The government is planning to introduce amendments in the power policy 2002 and to this effect, the committee, headed by Secretary Water and Power Imtiaz Kazi and comprising four secretaries of the provinces, has finalised the amendments, including this critical proposal that based on the location of the power plant, the electricity requirements of the province or local area be given priority. In case the said amendment is approved by the CCI, the electricity crisis will touch a new high in the Punjab, which generates only 30 percent electricity but consumes 60 percent. Surprisingly, however, the Punjab representative in the committee did not oppose the move when the committee finalised this recommendation. While the Punjab maintained a mystifying silence over the proposed amendment, the World Bank has opposed the said amendment.

It is pertinent to mention that under the 18th Amendment, there is a clause in the Constitution under which the gas deficit has become the highest in the Punjab as compared to other provinces. Under the said clause, the province producing gas has the fist right to consume it and the remainder is to be passed on to such federating unit where gas is not abundantly available. This is the main reason that the Punjab is facing a massive gas deficit leading to a massive surge in unemployment as many industrial units have virtually closed down in the wake of non-availability of gas. If the CCI approves the recommended proposal, the Punjab will be exposed to ever more power outages.

Under another proposal that has also been finalised by the committee, the Water Use Charge (WUC) will also be increased to Rs0.425 per unit without annual indexation. The WUC will be reviewed every five years in order to determine whether an increase in the WUC is necessary. In this case, the World Bank has said that the every five years, the WUC review must not be left open ended. Farooq Energy Company has opposed this proposal saying that an increase in WUC is a pass-through item and would lead to higher average hydro tariff.

The committee has also decided that carbon credits earned through clean energy projects from the UN will be utilised for project maintenance and welfare of affected people on an equal basis. The World Bank said that the recommendation should be consistent with the mechanism to share carbon revenues as explained in the government policy for the development of renewable energy 2006.

Power producing province to get priority: govt - thenews.com.pk

529550_450226465052285_851398653_n.jpg

Will You Believe In Fiction Or Fact?
Fiction: PMLN Promises To End Loadshedding In Pakistan
Fact: PMLN Produced ZERO Megawatt Electricity For Punjab In 3 Years
Fiction: Federal Govt Interfered With Punjab Govt
Fact: Article 157 (2) of Constitution Gives Full Authority to Provincial Govt To Produce Electricity Without Interference of Federal Govt
http://www.na.gov.pk/publications/constitution.pdf

The Incompetent leadership of PML N was aware of draw backs of 18th amendment but they let it happend and didnt made a single power plant of electricity and played politics on the name of loadshedding against zardari and made stunts like setting up camps at minar e pakistan but khan factor bangged their A$$ on 30 oct 2011 and now patwaris crying around

@cb4 waiting for your reply my Canadian Friend :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back
Top Bottom