What's new

Is the Barak 8 SAM a big mistake?

Dude - Mach 2 is Mach 2. No amount of "dual pulse motor" is going to allow a Mach 2 missiles fired from a Kolkata destroyer from saving another ship at 20km distance from a sea-skimming Mach 3 cruise missile that pops out from over the horizon.

I want to honestly know the reasons for this purchase - not having a dig at the Indians.
Dual motor means that the second one will be fired on the final interception stage and will increase the missile's speed drastically

Dude - Mach 2 is Mach 2. No amount of "dual pulse motor" is going to allow a Mach 2 missiles fired from a Kolkata destroyer from saving another ship at 20km distance from a sea-skimming Mach 3 cruise missile that pops out from over the horizon.

I want to honestly know the reasons for this purchase - not having a dig at the Indians.
Let's assume you are NOT trolling

There is a thread on PDF on how to intercept Brahmos. That thread has all answers to your questions.

Mach 3 or 4 radars track them well in advance. Rest is just a calculation.
https://defence.pk/threads/how-to-defend-brahmos-american-analysis.354356/

According to hebrew wikipedia brahmos was intercepted in october 2014 test
It might have been. As I said it's just matter of detection and the reaction time. Everything can be intercepted. Only question is how many. Volley of missiles always beat defence. And in case of Brahmos only one needed to pass through defences.

I think India will use a mix volley of Brahmos and some other subsonic missile as a cost effective measure.

According to hebrew wikipedia brahmos was intercepted in october 2014 test

https://defencyclopedia.com/2014/12...vy-can-shoot-down-the-deadly-brahmos-missile/

CONCLUSION

The BrahMos is not an invincible missile. It is just a bigger headache for the ones at the receiving end of it.

The BrahMos is not an invincible missile. It is just a bigger headache for the ones at the receiving end of it. With a decent SAM system, you may be able to defend your ship against attacks by subsonic missiles. But to defend yourself from the BrahMos, you need an expensive, high-end, layered missile defense system. If you have powerful and networked Air Defense systems like the US Navy and the Royal Navy, you have a chance of survival. But smaller navies using basic air defense systems don’t stand a chance. Their only hope is prayer. So if you’re a warship captain, it’s always safer to be on the side which has BrahMos/Yakhont than to be on the side which has to face the BrahMos. By your bad luck if you end up facing the BrahMos, prayer is another option.

https://defencyclopedia.com/2014/12...vy-can-shoot-down-the-deadly-brahmos-missile/

CONCLUSION

The BrahMos is not an invincible missile. It is just a bigger headache for the ones at the receiving end of it.

The BrahMos is not an invincible missile. It is just a bigger headache for the ones at the receiving end of it. With a decent SAM system, you may be able to defend your ship against attacks by subsonic missiles. But to defend yourself from the BrahMos, you need an expensive, high-end, layered missile defense system. If you have powerful and networked Air Defense systems like the US Navy and the Royal Navy, you have a chance of survival. But smaller navies using basic air defense systems don’t stand a chance. Their only hope is prayer. So if you’re a warship captain, it’s always safer to be on the side which has BrahMos/Yakhont than to be on the side which has to face the BrahMos. By your bad luck if you end up facing the BrahMos, prayer is another option.

And as we know, prayer never really works, so it ain't really an option if you think about it!!Just saying.............

The best option will be if the incoming missile could deploy it's own decoy, I know I'm getting theoretical here, but within the realm of possibility.
So will the defender will have improved counter measures ???
Technology will improve for both. So none will out perform the other. Winner will always be the one who have more rounds to fire. So attacker always have adv if going against the sea base targets

Firing Subsonic and supersonic missile such that both reach the target about same time will be much effective

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom