What's new

Is south Korea the second largest pop culture exporter

I understand what you said earlier. My point -- maybe am being too kind -- is that remakes requires a certain amount of creative efforts themselves, and I have read arguments as to why sometimes the creative efforts are the same as trying to be original.

Take Saving Private Ryan, for example. I doubt that anyone is going to even try on paper of remaking that. No telling of a story is perfect or is completely satisfactory to its creator, but sometimes a movie telling a story was done so well that no one will even attempt to retell it. Saving Private Ryan is one end of find storytelling, on the other end is the almost campy Top Gun that I doubt anyone will try to remake that. For the real Top Gun school, supposedly there is a fine for anyone who quote the movie.

Movies tell stories and by extension entertains. Sure there are different kinds of entertainment, some cerebral, some visceral, and some just plain for laughs. If a formula works for the day, it will be followed until it no longer make money.

Well, I guess you and I were talking about different thing actually.

Don't get me wrong, Idea can be recycle, remake does not always means a copy of the original. Take Rec and Quarantine as an example.

REC (film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Quarantine (2008 film) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Now, both film are virtually carbon copy, the only different is the ending, while REC focus on the event with a religious aspect (Being the culprit is the Vatican) and Quarantine focus on the event with a cult aspect, basically the road lead to the ending is the same, the ending is different.

Now, the question, however, is not how these 2 movie represent. But how they branch out after their original instalment, while REC 2 focus on the event immediately before the story of REC (which made REC 2 a prequel) but Quarantine 2 uses a different aspect where the first story (Quarantine) lead to a subsequent event which create an outbreak on a plane.

There are original idea while even the movie is a remake to one another.

But the point I wanted to point out is that, Hollywood producer is getting lazy and unwilling to invest in ideas. It used to be about story telling like you said, that why Hollywood embrace independent production and literally everyone have money and a camera can hit big (This is how Steven Spielberg made his mark by the way). but since 2000s, this is not the game in Hollywood anymore. Where producer have to satisfied "Trent" which were set by other, and promptly follow suit, like "High School Musical" bring out an era of musical related TV/Movie and then it's the Vampire turn (Twilight, True Blood, Vampire Diary), and then it's erotic fantasy turn (50 Shade et el)

Don't get me wrong, the idea of High School musical , twilight or 50 shade is not bad, but making a string of movie at the same category in a short time, it's kind of dry, don't you think>?

Korean culture is the old culture that China has lost. You cannot produce the same kind of movie and pop in China because people do not have certain belief.

Only Taiwan, Japan and Korea is able to produce a kind of movie that move people, telling people of noble ideas.

N3XJmOh7_400x400.jpeg

I am a fan of Song Ji Hyo

Korean TV series are mainly distorted history and fantasy of their fake achievement during their history when they were nothing but a vassal state of China.

Korean culture is the old culture that China has lost. You cannot produce the same kind of movie and pop in China because people do not have certain belief.

Only Taiwan, Japan and Korea is able to produce a kind of movie that move people, telling people of noble ideas.

N3XJmOh7_400x400.jpeg

Of course Koreans are impressive, they're the closest in East Asia to the Japanese. :)

Some surgical fake people can be called culture?

Actually, the true Korean beauty is very attractive. They have powerful features common of Northern and Central Japanese.

The Korea and Japanese Race is the "ideal" presentation of Northeast Asian Beauty.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

One of my favorite Japan movie Love Letter.

It is very hard for China to produce such movie. If your entire women folks love monies, love to fcuk, treat marriage as an volunteerly exchange of commodities, then it reflex in your work of art.

Love_letter_dvd.jpg

N3XJmOh7_400x400.jpeg

how ridiculous you are
Taiwan is behind China in producing good movies, Korea is behind China and Japan in producing good movies
just check influential film awards

One of my favorite Japan movie Love Letter.

It is very hard for China to produce such movie. If your entire women folks love monies, love to fcuk, treat marriage as an volunteerly exchange of commodities, then it reflex in your work of art.

Love_letter_dvd.jpg

this is so dumb
there are of course good pure love dramas/movies in China.

One of my favorite Korean TV, Winter Sonata, a hit in East Asia.

Korean drama is arguably one of the best. They are a lovely, emotional, sentimental people, I suppose, which manifests in their films and social graces ergo, mannerisms.

Korean women are very passionate as well, their dramas depict this eloquently and accurately.

Korean men, in general, are reticent, very similar to Japanese. By and large.

Ahahahah....nice 1. Beautiful. The swedes aren't bad.:D

However, we are still the only non U.S band/artists to have top U.S charts , when One Direction made music industry history, by becoming the first foreign group to enter the US album chart at number one.:enjoy: That's even more funny when you consider that they are only teenagers/college boys.lol even the mighty Beatles never achieved that. also our band boys 'The Wanted' recently scored a top three hit with their single Glad You Came - while their new EP peaked at seven in the Billboard charts.

I was also shocked to find out that our little island accounted for 11.7% of all music sold in the US last year I will say our artists are doing very well even in the U.S:usflag::enjoy:

However, we are still the only non U.S band/artists to have top U.S charts , when One Direction made music industry history, by becoming the first foreign group to enter the US album chart at number one.:enjoy: That's even more funny when you consider that they are only teenagers/college boys.lol even the mighty Beatles never achieved that. also our band boys 'The Wanted' recently scored a top three hit with their single Glad You Came - while their new EP peaked at seven in the Billboard charts.

I was also shocked to find out that our little island accounted for 11.7% of all music sold in the US last year I will say our artists are doing very well even in the U.S:usflag::enjoy:

Even in Japan, the British are seen as some kind of "super" European. I suppose the history of Britain and the contributions they did to literature, science , modern civilization has a role in this positivistic , constructive appeal.

In regards to the Swedes, or the wider Scandinavia, they have a social and cultural contribution to the American identity. I might remind you, Michael, that during the late 19th century there was a Swedish diaspora to the United States , seeing over 1.5 million Swedes immigrate to the United States , where they would settle the Midwest.

I've traveled to Chicago multiple times for academic related conferences and there is a large Swedish America. Presence there. States in the Midwest like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana have a large Swedish, Norwegian, German ethnic presence.

I suppose Swedish cultural aspects such as their food, diction, social graces, family culture has imprinted itself into modern American culture at least in the Midwest, and in context to the white population in said region.

Japanese anime rules the world. I like/loved hunter x hunter @Nihonjin1051
Yea I agree, I'm a big fan of some of the older anime series myself :-) (plus some hentai too :D)
That is totally censored in China. Lol During my visit there, i tried accessing one invane.:angel::lock:.........shhhhhhh.....there are still ways to access one though. Eventhough its a little bit complex.
I found that surprising when @esolve mentioned it tbh, cause I've seen some of their movies which had some bold scenes even by western standards..

Even in Japan, the British are seen as some kind of "super" European. I suppose the history of Britain and the contributions they did to literature, science , modern civilization has a role in this positivistic , constructive appeal.

In regards to the Swedes, or the wider Scandinavia, they have a social and cultural contribution to the American identity. I might remind you, Michael, that during the late 19th century there was a Swedish diaspora to the United States , seeing over 1.5 million Swedes immigrate to the United States , where they would settle the Midwest.

I've traveled to Chicago multiple times for academic related conferences and there is a large Swedish America. Presence there. States in the Midwest like Minnesota, Wisconsin, Idaho, Illinois, Indiana have a large Swedish, Norwegian, German ethnic presence.

I suppose Swedish cultural aspects such as their food, diction, social graces, family culture has imprinted itself into modern American culture at least in the Midwest, and in context to the white population in said region.

True, but the swedes are still nowhere near us. :p::toast_sign:

Back
Top Bottom