What's new

Is Pakistan facing bankruptcy?

There is no doubt Pakistan's economy is problem. Mr Zardari thought he will get money easily. But every one wants to exploit the situation, this is same situation as Indian local Baniya wants to exploit farmers when every they give loan to them, unfortunatly many Indian farmers commited sucide after defaulting the loan repayment.

Problem is in current economic structure of Pakistan, every body knows you give any money it will be lost in no time. Even countries like China will invest in Pakistan only in strategic nature projects, and any aid will be given with Baniya strings.

Another problem is Perception about Muslim and Islamic countries(which I faces personally in UK few days back, though I am Indian Muslim and enjoy better reputaion ). I do not know how Pakistan will deal with this problem in near future even if they go for structural change in economic Policies.

Rescue Moves needed to Economic Reforms

The State Bank of Pakistan’s move to inject Rs270bn into the banking sector by November 15 will come as welcome relief to banks struggling with a liquidity crisis. State Bank Governor Shamshad Akhtar has been criticised in the past by bank executives for imposing an excessively tight banking regime, but it appears that the regulators have now understood the gravity of the crisis that has seized the sector.

Unfortunately, while Ms Akhtar and her team appear willing to use the tools at their disposal to avoid a banking meltdown, the problem does not originate in her sphere of monetary control. There are two basic problems. One, Pakistan’s external position continues to weaken (the current account deficit widened by 42 per cent to $3.95bn in the first quarter) which continues to place downward pressure on the rupee. Two, domestic inflation is hovering around 25 per cent.

Given this scenario, rupee deposit holders are faced with a choice: do they keep their cash in banks, where it will earn a rate of interest much below the rate of inflation, and watch its purchasing power decline or do they convert their rupees into climbing foreign currencies and protect their purchasing power? Unsurprisingly, Pakistanis are opting for the latter, with daily reports of capital flight and dollarisation of rupees putting further pressure on the rupee, which creates even more of an incentive to opt out of the local banking sector.

What Pakistan needs most urgently to restore a modicum of stability in the local economy is cash — $3-4bn by most accounts. However, the IFIs, the US, China and the Gulf countries have all been hesitant to open their chequebooks, perhaps worried that it will amount to throwing good money after bad.

A commitment to economic reform is the precondition for more money; Pakistan has been asked to reduce its fiscal and trade deficits, reduce its current and development expenditure, reduce its subsidies, and increase its tax-to-GDP ratio. These are all good, sensible measures that Pakistan needs to achieve stable medium-term growth. However, they are not enough. Pakistan must think long and hard about economic reforms that will incur the displeasure of western governments and the IFIs.

Consider the case for capital controls. Dismantling barriers to the entry and exit of capital made Pakistan an attractive investment destination in the 21st century. While the world was awash in liquidity and investors were looking far and wide for opportunities to earn money on their capital, Pakistan basked in the glow of foreign money. However, the same mechanism that made it easy to quickly attract money has become a millstone around our necks now that the economic tide has reversed.

So while reform is certainly needed, the government must avoid the temptation to simply follow foreign dictates once again.
Excerpted with thanks to editorial DAWN

I may be wrong but I think a Musharraf or even a Nawaz Sharif could have obtained help from the Chinese -

Rebuffed by China, Pakistan May Seek I.M.F. Aid

By JANE PERLEZ

Published: October 18, 2008

ISLAMABAD, Pakistan — President Asif Ali Zardari returned from China late Friday without a commitment for cash needed to shore up Pakistan’s crumbling economy, leaving him with the politically unpopular prospect of having to ask the International Monetary Fund for help.

Pakistan was seeking the aid from China, an important ally, as it faces the possibility of defaulting on its current account payments.

With the United States and other nations preoccupied by a financial crisis, and Saudi Arabia, another traditional ally, refusing to offer concessions on oil, China was seen as the last port of call before the I.M.F.

Accepting a rescue package from the fund would be seen as humiliating for Mr. Zardari’s government, which took office this year.

An I.M.F.-backed plan would require Pakistan’s government to cut spending and raise taxes, among other measures, which could hurt the poor, officials said.

The Bush administration is concerned that Pakistan’s economic meltdown will provide an opportunity for Islamic militants to capitalize on rising poverty and frustration.

The Pakistanis have not been shy about exploiting the terrorist threat to try to win financial support, a senior official at the I.M.F. said.

But because of the dire global financial situation, and the reluctance of donor nations to provide money without strict economic reforms by Pakistan, the terrorist argument has not been fully persuasive, he said.

“A selling point to us even has been, if the economy really collapses this is going to mean civil strife, and strikes, and put the war on terror in jeopardy,” said the official, who declined to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to the news media.

“They are saying, ‘We are a strategic country, the world needs to come to our aid,’ ” he said.

Pakistani officials said they had received promises from the Chinese to help build two nuclear power plants, and pledges for business investment in the coming year.

But Pakistan had also hoped China would deposit $1.5 billion to $3 billion in its central bank, according to senior officials at the I.M.F. and Western donor countries.

The infusion of cash would have helped with payments for oil and food as currency reserves dwindle, officials said.

Shaukat Tareen, the new Pakistani financial adviser who accompanied Mr. Zardari to China, began to prepare the public for an I.M.F. program on Saturday, saying for the first time at a news conference that if Pakistan could not stabilize its economy within 30 days, it “can go to the I.M.F. as a backup.”

“We may have to go to Plan B,” he said.

Economic hardship has been mounting across Pakistan for several months. Electricity shortages have become so dire that even middle-class families in big cities have to ration supply, with power cuts for 12 of every 24 hours, with one hour on, and one hour off.

Food prices have soared, making some basics, even flour, too expensive for the poorest to afford. No large-scale riots have occurred, but concern is mounting that such protests are not far off.

The new government has reduced subsidies on fuel and food, and the central bank moved on Friday to ease an intrabank liquidity crisis.

In addition, new rules were imposed several weeks ago on the Karachi stock exchange to stop sell-offs.

But none of those steps have stanched the crisis in confidence.

The central bank’s currency reserves have dipped to $4 billion, enough to cover payments for oil and other imports for about two months. As it became clear over the past two days that the Chinese were not going to provide a cushion for Pakistan, the rupee slumped to a record low.

The thin results from the China trip were of little surprise to Western donors.

Asked about the likelihood of Pakistan winning the direct cash infusion it was seeking, a senior Chinese diplomat was reported by Western officials to have said, “We have done our due diligence, and it isn’t happening.”

“What we needed is $3-to-$4 billion,” said Sakib Sherani, a member of the government’s economic advisory panel and chief economist at ABN Amro Bank in Pakistan. That amount was necessary “to build confidence,” he said.

The central bank governor, Shamshad Akhtar, said in a telephone interview on Saturday, “We are very open to all kinds of financial support.” She added, “We’ve taken a lot of corrective actions, and we plan to take more.”

But Zubair Khan, a former commerce minister and a critic of the government’s economic management, said confidence would improve once Pakistan arranged an I.M.F. rescue package. Mr. Khan said that the alternative would be the imposition of controls on imports and capital flows that could do long-term harm to the economy.

Meanwhile, the American financial crisis is also expected to hurt ordinary Pakistanis.

Remittances from Pakistanis living abroad to their relatives in Pakistan were expected to be about $7 billion this year, about $3 billion of that from Pakistanis living in the United States. But those remittances are likely to dwindle, affecting real estate values in Pakistani cities and families who live in poorer rural areas.

Mr. Zardari had approached the China trip with considerable fanfare, saying he was looking forward to visiting a country that had enjoyed a warm relationship with Pakistan, particularly during the rule of his father-in-law, Zulfikar Ali Bhutto.

His visit to Beijing followed a trip there by the chief of the army, Gen. Parvez Kayani, and came at a time when the relationship between Washington and Pakistan was strained over how to deal with the escalating threat from the Taliban and Al Qaeda.

Javed Burki, a former Pakistani finance minister, said China had provided $500 million in balance-of-payments support in 1996, when Pakistan was on the brink of default. He had flown to Beijing to ask for the money and his request was fulfilled.

But those days are over, he said, because China is no longer inclined to grant cash outright without structural reforms from the receiving government, he said.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/19/world/asia/19zardari.html?ref=asia

Pakistan has to understand that no government of the world is going to feed any other country. there is no king rule in any part of the world, whether its saudi arabia or china, that the king will get impressed with you and will give you a few billions dollars as a gift. all the countries, even united states, has poor and their government is responsible to spend the taxed money for the good of the people who vote them.

i believe, pakistan would mainly look for some heavy foreign investment from china and for deferred payments for oil from saudi arabia to secure inflow of foreign currency for a while. a good foreign investment from china and a comfortable time for deferred payments for oil from saudi arabia is itself enough to make Pakistan a grateful nation to these 2 countries.

pakistan has over 100bn dollar reserves of resources; mainly the gas fields that are located in Baluchistan and other western region. pakistan may sell a part of these resources to pay its immediate dept obligations, with keeping IMF option open to face any sudden crisis, and also 4 to 5 bn dollars would be kept to cover trade deficits over next 5 to 6 months, a period which may enable Pakistan to come on a comfortable stage. and also this 4 to 5 bn dollars, to cover trade deficits, may be used to build better infrastructure in pakistan which will finally help to support the overall growth of Pakistan.

I believe, pakistani leaders has to spend more time in pakistan to overcome current financial crisis other than visiting other countries which also cost a few millions, they get from those who are in need in Pakistan.

Last edited:
It does appear that the "all weather", the "higher than Himalayas" and "Deeper than Oceans" friendship doesn't come without the due diligence. :lol:
Only an Indian could come up with this conclusion. :lol:
I can't blame you for not understanding the debth of Sino-Pak friendship, you need friends in the first place...;)

Chinese are such pragmatic people. So its always amusing when so many Pakistanis talk in such glowing terms of "true" friendship et al.
Yes indeed, they are pragmatic people and traders, nothing comes free nor did Zardari return with empty hands. $1.7 billion Chinese FDI in energy sector before June 2009, another $1 billion grant plus $5 billion in FDI from prominent Chinese businessmen...2 new reactors and there's much more.

Its a case of mutual scratching of backs as is true for all international relations!
Its more than that...the friendship is 'higher than Himalaya's and deeper than oceans' to quote Chinese President. :enjoy:

The Pakistanis have not been shy about exploiting the terrorist threat to try to win financial support, a senior official at the I.M.F. said.

But because of the dire global financial situation, and the reluctance of donor nations to provide money without strict economic reforms by Pakistan, the terrorist argument has not been fully persuasive, he said.

“A selling point to us even has been, if the economy really collapses this is going to mean civil strife, and strikes, and put the war on terror in jeopardy,” said the official, who declined to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to the news media.

“They are saying, ‘We are a strategic country, the world needs to come to our aid,’ ” he said.

This "Give us money to save you from Terrorists" punchline line of Pakistan Govt to beg for money does'nt seem to work anymore. It has been used too often in case of Afganistan, Kashmir and NWFP to get the sympathy of SaudiArabia, US and China. Their ploy of setting China against India backstabbed them during Kargil conflict when China refused to interfere in spite of Musharaff Sahib's personal attendance and request.
Instead of begging to Saudi, US, China and atlast to IMF to feed their people, Pakistani Govt should have asked their Indian brothers for help. In spite of politics, the people of India and Pakistan are/were/will be BROTHERS.

Link please!

Imho we're learning from the Americans. If they can wage war to revive their defence industry and save jobs, we can can exploit the WoT to gain whatever we can. Realpolitik rocks! :cheesy:

Only an Indian could come up with this conclusion. :lol:
I can't blame you for not understanding the debth of Sino-Pak friendship, you need friends in the first place...;)

Yes indeed, they are pragmatic people and traders, nothing comes free nor did Zardari return with empty hands. $1.7 billion Chinese FDI in energy sector before June 2009, another $1 billion grant plus $5 billion in FDI from prominent Chinese businessmen...2 new reactors and there's much more.

Its more than that...the friendship is 'higher than Himalaya's and deeper than oceans' to quote Chinese President. :enjoy:

Neo, first of all I would like to make it clear that the purpose of my post was not to cast any aspersions on anything.

The Chinese are pragmatic people and you agree with that. They are also considered inscrutable.

Tell me, if the friendship is actually all those adjectives, why the Chinese can't spare the few pathetic billions for a friend in need (when its a loose change for them, they add billion dollars or more to their reserves daily) while they can finance the supposed adversary USA to the tune of 100s of billions?

Quotes is one thing (it doesn't cost money), putting the money where the mouth is, another.

There are other issues, one of them being Zardari who isn't very popular in China. Analysts believe he insulted China by cancelling his first ever foreign visit to Beijing and headed West instead.

China has vested interests in Pakistan and will always come to help when we need it most.

To me its a relief that China didn't give Zardari what he asked for, it would have helped him only not Pakistan. Its also a sign that his position in Pakistan is at risk now. :coffee:

^^ Well I will do a Munshi here and quote myself. ;)

The best thing about this episode (China not coming to the aid of Pakistan in its difficult period and letting it go to the hated capitalist western controlled IMF) is that its the Pakistanis who will vie with each other to justify why they did not come to their aid.

Watch them degrade their own government and justify why the Chinese (and Saudis) were right in not coming to their aid!

Man, am I proved right here!

Pakistani economy falters, IMF may be only hope

(10-19) 04:00 PDT Islamabad, Pakistan -- President Asif Ali Zardari returned from China last week without a commitment for hard cash needed to shore up Pakistan's crumbling economy, leaving him with the politically unpopular prospect of having to ask the International Monetary Fund for help.

Pakistan was seeking the aid from China, an important ally, as it faces the possibility of defaulting on its current account payments. With the United States and other nations preoccupied with a financial crisis, and Saudi Arabia, another traditional ally, refusing to offer concessions on oil, China was seen as the last port of call before the IMF.

Accepting a rescue package from the IMF would be seen as a humiliating step for Zardari's government, which took office earlier this year. An IMF-backed plan would require the government to cut spending and raise taxes, among other measures, which could hurt the poor, officials said.

Terrorist threat

The Bush administration is concerned that Pakistan's economic meltdown will provide an opportunity for Islamic militants to capitalize on rising poverty and frustration.

The Pakistanis have not been shy in exploiting the terrorist threat as a way of trying to win financial support, a senior official at the IMF said. But because of the dire global financial situation, and the reluctance of donor nations to provide money without strict economic reforms by Pakistan, the terrorist argument has not been fully persuasive, he said.

"A selling point to us even has been, if the economy really collapses this is going to mean civil strife, and strikes, and put the war on terror in jeopardy," said the official, who declined to be identified because he was not authorized to speak to the news media. "They are saying, 'We are a strategic country, the world needs to come to our aid.' "

Pakistani officials said they had received promises from the Chinese to assist in the construction of two nuclear power plants, as well as pledges for business investment in the coming year.

But Pakistan had also hoped China would make a $1.5 billion to $3 billion deposit in its central bank, according to senior officials at the IMF and Western donor countries. The cash infusion would have helped with payments for oil and food as hard currency reserves dwindle, officials said.

Shaukat Tareen, the new Pakistani financial adviser who accompanied Zardari to China, began to prepare the public for an IMF program Saturday, saying for the first time at a news conference that if Pakistan could not stabilize its economy within 30 days, it "can go to the IMF as a backup."

"We may have to go to Plan B," he said.

Economic hardship has been mounting across Pakistan for the past several months. Electricity shortages have become so dire that even middle-class families in big cities have to ration supply, with power cuts for 12 of every 24 hours.

Food prices have soared, making some basics, even flour, too expensive for the poorest to afford. So far, there have been no large-scale riots, but there is mounting concern that such protests are not far off.

The new government has reduced subsidies on fuel and food, and the central bank took measures Friday to ease an intrabank liquidity crisis. In addition, new rules were imposed several weeks ago on the Karachi stock exchange to stop continuing sell-offs.

Crisis worsens

But none of those steps has proved stringent enough to stanch the crisis in confidence.

The central bank's hard currency reserves have dipped to $4 billion, enough to cover payments for oil and other imports for about two months. As it became clear over the past two days that the Chinese were not going to provide a cushion for Pakistan, the rupee slumped to a record low.

The thin results from the China trip were of little surprise to Western donors.

Asked about the likelihood of Pakistan winning the direct cash infusion it was seeking, a senior Chinese diplomat was reported by Western officials to have said, "We have done our due diligence, and it isn't happening."

$3-4 billion needed

"What we needed is $3 (billion) to $4 billion," said Sakib Sherani, a member of the government's economic advisory panel and chief economist at ABN Amro Bank in Pakistan. That amount was necessary "to build confidence," he said.

The central bank governor, Shamshad Akhtar, said in a telephone interview Saturday, "We are very open to all kinds of financial support."

But Zubair Khan, a former commerce minister and a critic of the government's economic management, said confidence would improve once Pakistan arranged an IMF rescue package. He noted that the alternative would be the imposition of controls on imports and capital flows that could do long-term harm to the economy.

Meanwhile, the financial crisis is also expected to hurt ordinary Pakistanis. Remittances from Pakistanis living abroad to their relatives in Pakistan were expected to be about $7 billion this year, about $3 billion of that from Pakistanis living in the United States. But those remittances are likely to dwindle, affecting real estate values in Pakistani cities and families living in poorer rural areas.

Zardari's visit to Beijing followed a trip there by the chief of the army, Gen. Parvez Kayani, and came at a time when the relationship between Washington and Pakistan was strained over how to deal with the escalating threat from the Taliban and al Qaeda.

Javed Burki, a former Pakistani finance minister, said China had provided $500 million in balance-of-payments support in 1996, when Pakistan was on the brink of default. But those days are over, he said, because China is no longer inclined to grant cash outright without structural reforms from the receiving government, he said.

The "Give us money to save you from Terrorists"

That is a completely self serving view, from both the West and Indian (any chance to denigrate Pakistan) perspectives. What is ignored in this calculus is that the reason behind the exacerbation of the financial crisis, the terrorism and instability, is a direct result of the US invasion of Afghanistan and the WoT.

So by virtue of bringing this madness to the neighborhood the West has a responsibility in helping clear it up, especially as it demands 'do more' - pretty convenient isn't it how everyone has forgotten that mantra of a few weeks ago.

How is Pakistan expected to 'do more' (which it in fact has), with huge local repercussions - hundreds of thousands of refugees, increased revenge terrorist attacks, and the associated outflow of investment?

Last edited:
^^ Well I will do a Munshi here and quote myself. ;)

Man, am I proved right here!

Not really - if you remember back when the Biden bill (15- 17 billion over seven years in aid) was passed, some of us argued that the aid should be structured so that it was only disbursed against planned and feasible projects and programs, rather than just a blank check for the GoP, which has been shown in most developing countries to lead to more corruption.

What I see the Chinese doing here is pretty much exactly that.

Not really - if you remember back when the Biden bill (15- 17 billion over seven years in aid) was passed, some of us argued that the aid should be structured so that it was only disbursed against planned and feasible projects and programs, rather than just a blank check for the GoP, which has been shown in most developing countries to lead to more corruption.

What I see the Chinese doing here is pretty much exactly that.

AM, sorry but I can't help thinking it to be another validation of my post. :lol:

BTW, Muse made an excellent post about the same points that you bring up here.

http://www.defence.pk/forums/strate...383-basket-case-reality-bites.html#post208848

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom