What's new

Is India's Tajikistan airbase a major threat in case of war?

How will Afghanistan monitor our missiles?They don't have a airforce so to speak so unless NATO is there i don't see a problem and if NATO is there Indian Air Crafts won't be allowed to cross as well ;) but this discussion is pretty futile i am sure that Tajikistan Military as well Civilian Leaders are not insane.

Here you missed my point....With this base we have the capability to strike....Now you are assuming that India will not be allowed to attack...Your reasoning is logical but again is not fool-proof....It will depend on what goodies we can give in exchange...Can russian influence help us...there are lot of possibilities...you never know we might already have inked a deal muchj away from public glare....That's why i said in the begining we all are speculating ...however the minimum we can say is that IAF has a base there which theratically can be used against you....
You have the capacity to attack the Western part of Pakistan with or without the Farkhor base. And the question of whether Dushanbe will allow Farkhor to carry our offensive operations against Pakistan is a very serious one to consider for them - almost all of Tajikistan is within range of Pakistan, why would they enter a war in which they have nothing to gain, and a lot to lose?

You cannot merely dismiss this question. As I said, allowing a base is one thing, allowing it to be used to attack another nation in an act that gives you little gain and a lot of pain is another.

Now we are talking....I never argued on how effective this attack(if at all possible) can be.......However here what we are assuming is that this base will work in solo...whereas that would/might not be the case....Let me give you a very hypothetical scenario....

We have this so-called awacs killer missile....If we want to shoot down your awacs with our MKI's we need to enter into your Air-Space if MKI's are coming from your eatern border... Since you yourself has said that Pak is a geographically shallow nation you will place them a little close to your western border with this assumption that there is no similar potential danger waiting on your western border.......Now if we place couple of MKI's with same missile into this base just imagine your already shallow depth will become even more shallow....Now you will need to think twice of what should be the best possible place to keep your awacs so that they can be kept operational as well as safe....

Now will this ever happen ..i do not know but just show us the possible headaches this base can cause....
The only way the AEW&C's will be kept 'safe' is with ground based air-defence and air support from the PAF, otherwise Pakistan's AEW&C's are easily within range of the IAF even if located on the Western extremes of Pakistan. Since location of the AEW&C's does not matter, and the AEW&C's have almost 360 degree coverage (along with the ground based radar coverage etc.), IAF jets from Farkhor cannot exactly just 'sneak up' on them from the West. They will likely be detected and will be engaged just as if they were coming from the East (which they would be if they were not stationed in Farkhor).

So in this scenario as well there is little to no advantage from the Farkhor base, if Dushanbe ever allows it to operate offensively that is.

Yes...and my point was such a base will be a diplomatic loss...I did not even venture into their military potential...I said however miniature they would be in nature they are still a threat....
A Pakistani base would be a threat because of the real potential of military attack from such a base and the associated potential of Bangladesh joining the war on the side of Pakistan. It would not be a threat just because it existed.
Yes you are right...and so is the case...However depends if we have the capacity to do anything about it??? If i have influence i will try my best to stop this oil flow......For example with American base in Saudi Arabia goes on to attack you(for soem reason) do you think they will allow a tanker of oil from there to reach Pakistan???Another example : Jordan gave you F-104's in 71 war...That was surely a good enough reason to strike Jordan....However there are certain things that you can/can't do...you have to live with it....B/W did you have this pact with Sri Lanka before the war???
Any nation would try and restrict supplies to an enemy during war, but India won't just be able to attack the Saudis or others because they are shipping oil to Pakistan - it is a non-offensive move. Carrying out attacks from bases located in another nation is an offensive move, and Tajikistan is likely not going to allow it given the little to no payoff they would receive from such a move. Afghanistan would be a different issue.

I am not aware of the details around the Sri Lankan pact on providing fuel supplies.

I gave one very hypothetical scenario....This base can do the job without even flying a single sortie...It will keep you guessing weather we will attack from here or not...This is the surprise i am talking about.....Regaring Dushambe becoming a target then it might be difficult....Your resources would be totally occupied fighting with Indians...You will not like to loose even a few to attack Dushambe which will strategically be of no value...Moreover remember Bombing Russian backyard might not be as easy as it sounds...
OK, you are making it sound like this is the medieval ages and the defending forces will have no clue as to where the enemy is showing up from until they come over the hill top ....

Given the technology available to Pakistan, IAF fighters from Farkhor will be detected, and likely engaged, long before they get to Pakistan. Pakistan being geographically shallow does not have to shift its resources to cater to this threat from the East, and therefore it is no additional burden for Pakistan in that sense. Additionally, it is just one base, and the IAF is not going to dedicate a large number of fighters there in case Dushanbe does not agree to let them fly or the base is bombed rendering those fighters useless, so in terms of a threat, it will be numerically small.

And on Dushanbe, we don't have to send fighters to bomb it ... that threat should be enough to ward off any desire on the Tajik governments part to get into a mess it gets no benefit out of.

As said you are entitled for your opinion....I have given some hypothetical scenario...See if it make any sense...By the way paying for a base which is practically of no use is bad decision....We indians are little smarter then that....Secondly having a base in Tajikh don't make us regional power by any stretch of Imagination....So let time pass by this base will show its true color...We are definitely smarter then what you are assuming us to be.....
I agree paying for a base that is of little use in war is a bad decision - it is a good question to ask the GoI as to how they justify it. I can see little military advantage from it.

It might make sense from a peacetime usage perspective however.

The way Indians speak is just amazing - PAF is not just located at Eastern Border.PAF has Southern, Western, Northern and Central Air Commands.Indian Jets intruding from any side will be shot down period.Just in 2-3 years all commands will be equipped with AWACS.

^Interesting.. So you will attack 2 countries (Tzaks and Afghanistan) at the same time while fighting with India??? I mean your Baburs etc will have to overfly Afghanistan to hit the Base..
Tajikistan will have attacked us for us to attack them.

Why would the Tajiks do that?

But first we have to see..... can india afford to go to war with Pakistan?

Only issue with Tajik and Afghan basis is the presence of some sort of WMD. remember indian govt. had publicaly declared that they will not mind sacrificing indian punjab (sikhs) in case of indo-Pak war.

I don't think 1 squadron of MiG-29 fighters, a dozen Mi-35s and Mi-17s and some special forces personnel should be a major threat to Pakistan. Rather I doubt they'd be used. We've stationed stuff at Ayni simply because to avoid Kandahar like incidents which caught us with our pants down.

It is more or less a watch tower sort of thing during peace and in case of (let's hope never again) Kandahar like hi jackings, for rapid deployment of special forces with transport helicopters.

Although I dunno why we've kept MiG-29s over there..:P

But first we have to see..... can india afford to go to war with Pakistan?

Only issue with Tajik and Afghan basis is the presence of some sort of WMD. remember indian govt. had publicaly declared that they will not mind sacrificing indian punjab (sikhs) in case of indo-Pak war.
Don't twist stuff. Punjab has both Sikh and Hindu population if you didn't know or choose not to know. I know you love taking stuff to provocative levels but just to correct your information.

In Army, we consider all as INDIANS first. Sikhs are a pride of our country just like each and every soldier is. The statement was simply made because Punjab is the first state that might get affected because of war whether nuclear or non-nuclear.

About WMD in Tajikistan, do you actually think we'd keep our nuclear missiles in another foreign country with which we have no NATO like pact or any sort of tangible proof? The idea is good but too risky. Russians have their weapons in the country and I think we're fine with that.

indian base in tajikistan posses no serious thread to us.
And nor do i think Tajikistan would allow it to be used against Pakistan,also even if it does its probably in range of our cruise missiles and tajik government wont like its land to be bombed so nothin happenin,... its just an indian mirage nothing else.

Also count the logistic problem for the indians as well as they will be in range of our radars or awacs.

NO...India should ve air bases/millitary alliance with Tibet, Taiwan,Japan and Vietatnam...chinese will eat up everything as they grow.....they have not left out dogs so u can imagine how cruel they are...beware!!!
This was not needed dude. Edit your comment.

Yes they should be nuked

Nuked on what grounds? Just because airspace is being given for use? If airspace was refused, then the fighters won't be there in first place buddy :lol:. The whole point of giving a fighter/ special forces base there is to allow the use of airspace. I don't know about Afghanistan but Tajikistan has this case.

And you cannot simply nuke Tajikistan. The Tajik Army is not attacking Pakistan and therefore you can't do anything other than possibly attack Indian military. NO bombing Tajik civilians, Tajik forces etc.

Tajikstan is to Russia what Israel is to Bush era USA. You won't want to get in a Bear hug. :lol:

This was not needed dude. Edit your comment.

Nuked on what grounds? Just because airspace is being given for use? If airspace was refused, then the fighters won't be there in first place buddy :lol:. The whole point of giving a fighter/ special forces base there is to allow the use of airspace. I don't know about Afghanistan but Tajikistan has this case.

And you cannot simply nuke Tajikistan. The Tajik Army is not attacking Pakistan and therefore you can't do anything other than possibly attack Indian military. NO bombing Tajik civilians, Tajik forces etc.

Tajikstan is to Russia what Israel is to Bush era USA. You won't want to get in a Bear hug. :lol:

Russia doesnt care about anybdy except herself.Nor would they even interfere.
They didnt even give a look at wat happened in kazakistan.
Tajikistan isnt stupid to allow indias use their base against a friendly country Pakistan also a member of OIC etc.
About bear hug:rofl:

Made me remmember BEAR TRAP and the disection of the bear just 2 decades back:rofl:

In my opinion, unless both sides loose all their senses, an all-out war between Pakistan and India is impossible.

India will always worry about Pakistan launching its nuclear weapons if she feels cornered. Remember, Pakistan does not have a no-first-use policy, unlike India. That, in my estimation, is a bigger deterrent than having a nuclear weapon along with a no-first-use policy.

If there is an escalation, India will always be worried that if by what it does, Pakistan launches, but Pakistan will be emboldened to escalate conventional warfare to any degree and not feel the same fear. In such a situation, even if India does launch first, Pakistan will definitely launch as well; but the bigger problem for India is that it would have broken a "grand" no-first-use commitment made to itself and to the world.

Any conflict between Pakistan and India will be low-key, and assume the form of clandestine (ISI and RAW) operations, diplomatic maneuvering, and economic wars.

Last edited:
Air Marshal (Retd) Vinod Patney, who led the aerial campaign to evict the Pakistani troops from Kargil in 1999, says essentially the base would help ferry men and material to Indian oil interests in the region although “it is of tremendous strategic importance”. He dismissed the suggestion that it could be used against Pakistan, saying that IAF already had more than adequate capability to defend the country if attacked again.

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

Seriously people use of Farkhor air base in a air campaign is highly debatable. In my personal opinion Farkhor will not be used for air campaign unless ofcourse India offer Tajak's something they cant refuse !
But the saner ideas would be --

1) Position of special ops forces.
2) Positioning sensitive Intelligence equipment
3) Just to create a sense of doubt amognst PAF to keep some reserves to handle Tajak base.

After all India doesnt need to attack or intrude PAK air space to achive this ! What if the fighters take off from Farkhor -- they come close to Pak border and then turn back -- It will be cat and mouse game -- It will just create some unwanted pressure for Pakistan !

Seriously people use of Farkhor air base in a air campaign is highly debatable. In my personal opinion Farkhor will not be used for air campaign unless ofcourse India offer Tajak's something they cant refuse !
But the saner ideas would be --

1) Position of special ops forces.
2) Positioning sensitive Intelligence equipment
3) Just to create a sense of doubt amognst PAF to keep some reserves to handle Tajak base.

After all India doesnt need to attack or intrude PAK air space to achive this ! What if the fighters take off from Farkhor -- they come close to Pak border and then turn back -- It will be cat and mouse game -- It will just create some unwanted pressure for Pakistan !

The highlighted part is correct and the rest is unvalid.
But beware Tajikistan is only a few kms from Pakistan ... wont be anytime to run back...

Back
Top Bottom