What's new

Is India taking over China through soft power?

The impression of India we have over here in Taiwan:

Smelly
Filthy
Inefficient
Corrupt
Extremely poor
Hungry
Dancing
Rope trick
Elephant
Washing in Ganges
Taj Mahal
Indian superman movie
English accent

So, no, there is no such thing as Indian soft power. Weak cannot have soft power.

I had an Indian neighbor years ago. I visited him with a basket of gifts for his new born baby, and I was literally blown away when he opened his door. No kidding, the smell was just INTENSE!

Smelly
Filthy
Inefficient
Corrupt
Extremely poor
Hungry
Dancing
Rope trick
Elephant
Washing in Ganges
Taj Mahal
Indian superman movie
English accent

So, no, there is no such thing as Indian soft power. Weak cannot have soft power.
Interesting. Here, we view them as snake charmers, and the dude that has a monkey on his shoulder

Indians are indeed good at making colourful upbeat movies:enjoy: but not much beyond that
not disagreeing to ur pov, chinese movies are also all kungfu ppl running on bamboo trees with white powder under the soles of their little shoes.
indian cinema, my dear fren, is way more than u can ever imagine.
similarly i m sure what i said about chinese cinema is untrue.
never judge before knowing the full picture.

Smelly
Filthy
Inefficient
Corrupt
Extremely poor
Hungry
Dancing
Rope trick
Elephant
Washing in Ganges
Taj Mahal
Indian superman movie
English accent

we in india have very different viewpoint of china:
strong
very strong
very very strong
(very)^n strong
kunfu movies
noodles
eyes which dont open much.
eats dogs n cats n anything that moves on legs.
reason for tiger poaching (we all know why)
incredible road and railway network.
nobody goes hungry
and last but not the least, the great wall of china.

thank you...
n btw, never forget nanking.

For countries of their size and deep historical cultural influence, both China and India are quite lacking in soft power today. Even South Korea and Japan arguably have greater soft power.

India is still lacking in development. Nothing much to be said.

China's censorship stifles creativity in their media. Not to mention their internet platforms are almost isolated from the rest of the world. Even if they produce a good movie or a funny video, they are not going to be on the trending list on YouTube and shared by Facebook like Despacito, a Spanish language MV. The top Chinese-language music videos on YouTube are all from Taiwan with 23m people. From the comments you can tell they are watched not only by the Taiwanese but also Malaysians, Vietnamese, Japanese, Australians and mainland Chinese who jumped over the Great Firewall. How often do you see an American stumbling into iQiyi or Youku and do video hopping for hours? The outside world is still stuck with images of Kungfu from HK films when they hear of Chinese movies even though there's much more variety than that. Why?

For cultural influence to take place, you must have extensive contact with the outside world so other people would have at least heard of it. No point isolating and putting yourself at a pedestal.

For the Chinese who think Chinese entertainment is standing up to Hollywood and Wolf Warrior is going to be the next international hit; they won't like to hear me. I don't bear any ill intentions and in fact I wish the Chinese entertainment industry would flourish, but this is simply the hard truth.

Last edited:
I had an Indian neighbor years ago. I visited him with a basket of gifts for his new born baby, and I was literally blown away when he opened his door. No kidding, the smell was just INTENSE!

Similar experience at the dorm. I was doing partime at the international student office and some international students were trying to be picky not to have dorm-mate from that specific country.

Very soft power.

my question still is while it wasnt over had Indian soft power taken over Pakistan..today Pakistanis hate Indian more than ever

Had they played the cards right.....

But they always make a boo boo

When India rises and fulfills its potential, India will be much better position than china or any other country in Asia to influence the world!

Indian soft power is not limited to Bollywood. Though it does play a pretty important part - with its color and larger than life story telling which tends to find resonance in Asia more than the West. Another important as aspect of Indian soft power is Yoga. Indian food as well. You could see the difference in how India was shown in the 1980s and 1990s in American movies - think of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom; and how it is shown now in movies like Mission Impossible and TV shows like Sense8.

Perception matters.

Indian soft power is not limited to Bollywood. Though it does play a pretty important part - with its color and larger than life story telling which tends to find resonance in Asia more than the West. Another important as aspect of Indian soft power is Yoga. Indian food as well. You could see the difference in how India was shown in the 1980s and 1990s in American movies - think of Indiana Jones and the Temple of Doom; and how it is shown now in movies like Mission Impossible and TV shows like Sense8.

Perception matters.

you seriously believe that? like really you really believe that?

its like Mexicans saying Taco diplomacy will help them annex Flordia or Los Angeles....
or
Thailand is the next super power because of the massage therapy....

When India rises and fulfills its potential, India will be much better position than china or any other country in Asia to influence the world!

India will always rise and fulfill its potential in the future. In the mean rime, India can make a Supa Powa movie every 10 years or so.

its like Mexicans saying Taco diplomacy will help them annex Flordia or Los Angeles....
or

These guys need to realize that been known for pooping on the street and harassing women is not soft power.

These guys need to realize that been known for pooping on the street and harassing women is not soft power.

i think even by now the westerners differentiate between them based on north and south... things look bad way baaad

Perception matters.

Hardly any influence. Indian soft power does not make others buy Indian-made stuff or make people have greater desire to visit India.

Hollywood mentioning India is the least of soft power (same goes with China's efforts (some) to "influence" Hollywood). Hard power and geopolitics is what really matters.

If the US state really wanted, it could turn 80% of USers against China or India in a week. They did it with Japan in the 1980s. US media even talked about economic colonization of the US by Japan.

If you really believe eating China-style food or doing Indian style aerobics would make one soft power, you are in a deep delusion.

What matters is discourse power. And it comes from material power and media influence. Media influence comes from using every possible means to propagate your ideas, which means spending tons of money and repetition.

Look how the US media promotes their own brands such as tesla and apple continuously until they become almost ingrained in the minds of even the least interested.

Last edited:

or

I never said anything about annexation. I merely said the perception of a country changes. I would say even the plethora of Y2K chaps who poured in the US played a part. The Mexican diaspora has not played a positive role in changing the perception of Caucasian Americans - Chipotle not withstanding.

I never said anything about annexation. I merely said the perception of a country changes. I would say even the plethora of Y2K chaps who poured in the US played a part. The Mexican diaspora has not played a positive role in changing the perception of Caucasian Americans - Chipotle not withstanding.

the perception only got harder and harder

look man you got problems... take an example.. you boast about bollywood yet your countrymen post threads here saying your leading actor Amir Khan is a Pakistani trapped in India

yaani kuch to aqal paayi hogi ya wo bhi bech di

Is India taking over China through soft power?

India is not, there is no point in influencing the people of China. It's a single party dictatorship, with the Chairman of CPC holding absolute power. China is all influenced by the west, more or less they are trying to imitate the west. In Kaptaan terms, it's westoxified nation.

Back
Top Bottom