What's new

Is India really a rich country?

Thanks.

I believe most Indians here would want to actually tell you this very fact, but some due to lack of being able to express properly, would have conveyed that we are a land of milk and honey.

Our pride stems from the fact that we are a civilizational country with a powerful history. Indian nationalism has nothing to do with belittling others, as nationalism is viewed in the Western societies.

Hope that clears the air.

Australia has problems as well, no country is perfect, but whenever Indians say that their country is the best I have to laugh when Indians say India is a safe country for women and kids I think are stupid or mad or both.

Australia has problems as well, no country is perfect, but whenever Indians say that their country is the best I have to laugh when Indians say India is a safe country for women and kids I think are stupid or mad or both.
Actually, even that is a rather interesting thing.
How do you know if your city is safe?
In India a commonly quoted stat is that there is a rape committed every 13 minute. Lets say this is an underestimate by 100 times. A rape is committed every 7.8 seconds. This will give you about 4.1 million rapes per year. This still means the incidence of rape is 4.1/650 = 6.3 rapes per 1000 women.

It gives you an impression of large number of rapes being committed in the country because news media only reports rape. It never reports "No incidence happened with lady X today".

Why does the OP have such an irrational hatred he absolutely feels the need to express. Like I get it, I've read the threads and your posts about your gf getting indecently treated in India. There are certainly bad things to write but why keep focusing on one thing. People do this to China too. It's so frustrating to only hear hate and the negatives. There are plenty of redeeming features of India and Indian people come in various types. Stop judging an entire nation of people based on some rapists and molesters. Please get over your need to vent all the time. Always trying to stir things.

Why does the OP have such an irrational hatred he absolutely feels the need to express. Like I get it, I've read the threads and your posts about your gf getting indecently treated in India. There are certainly bad things to write but why keep focusing on one thing. People do this to China too. It's so frustrating to only hear hate and the negatives. There are plenty of redeeming features of India and Indian people come in various types. Stop judging an entire nation of people based on some rapists and molesters. Please get over your need to vent all the time. Always trying to stir things.
Its very personal to him.

Interest question. India is a rich country; but a significant percentage of its population is poor. India wastes a lot of its resources - ideally, I would like it to concentrate on healthcare, sanitation, education. There is no comparison with Australia - in every conceivable parameter - on a per capita basis Australia is miles ahead.

Actually, even that is a rather interesting thing.
How do you know if your city is safe?
In India a commonly quoted stat is that there is a rape committed every 13 minute. Lets say this is an underestimate by 100 times. A rape is committed every 7.8 seconds. This will give you about 4.1 million rapes per year. This still means the incidence of rape is 4.1/650 = 6.3 rapes per 1000 women.

It gives you an impression of large number of rapes being committed in the country because news media only reports rape. It never reports "No incidence happened with lady X today".

India is a male dominate society, the infanticide committed in India is a disgrace, and from what I saw when we were in India it wasn't a rosy picture. Not just India, China, Pakistan etc as well.

Child trafficking, slavery, women being pushed into prostitution (all come under people smuggling), that's why India is not a safe place for women, unfortunately.

It hurt me deeply and my girlfriend, considering she wanted to go to India all her life, she is still recovering from what happened to her, she suffers from depression now.

when Indians say India is a safe country for women and kids I think are stupid or mad or both.

Again, you see sensationalised news which makes it look like everyone in India is raping everyone.

You need to comprehend the sheer scale and ratio of the crime that is announced versus the population density area and region of the country.

I am not justifying the crime but simply saying that it is minuscule compared to many far more advanced societies, with better stricter laws.

If you remove police from New York's streets for a day and all hell would break loose. Well, that is the normal status of Indian police in many states; they are assumed to be absent from people's lives still there are less crimes.

This might seem as a surprise to you but you might want to take any media news from India's 'free press' with a handful of salt, divide it by 100X and then consider it. Excessive people means not just factory or services sector has competition, so do channels.

They will do anything, ranging from false news to exaggeration beyond reason, to grab your attention. Then next day write a small apology in some tiny corner to accept their 'mistake' if someone points it out.

India is safe for women and children if you follow the normal logic of avoiding lonely areas, shady areas and dark alleyways and neighbourhoods.

We won't be raising normal balanced families here if what you say was the case.

India is a male dominate society, the infanticide committed in India is a disgrace, and from what I saw when we were in India it wasn't a rosy picture. Not just India, China, Pakistan etc as well.

Child trafficking, slavery, women being pushed into prostitution (all come under people smuggling), that's why India is not a safe place for women, unfortunately.

It hurt me deeply and my girlfriend, considering she wanted to go to India all her life, she is still recovering from what happened to her, she suffers from depression now.

What you say, exists. But with times, things are changing. Not entire India is patriarchal. Meghalaya, certain communities of Manipur and Mizoram and Kerala are matriarchal societies.

People are better and have more exposure than before and are moving towards a more balanced society.

I am just curious to know where did you and your girlfriend visit because it must have been some weird hinterland of UP or Bihar to see so much doom and gloom.

There is crime but not so much in day to day life other than maybe someone running away with your wallet or a drunk getting into fist fights with you once in a while.

Thousands of women use public transport daily in big and small cities and come home everyday easily.

If you are going to believe that the entire country is like some rural hinterland, then I can only feel sorry for your ignorance.

India is safe for women and children if you follow the normal logic of avoiding lonely areas, shady areas and dark alleyways and neighbourhoods.
Well, this is something which I have found very essential. Its called Tribal Knowledge. No guide or travelog will tell you about how to navigate a foreign place in reality. Or sometimes what is considered common sense in a place.

One of my friends moved to BC, Canada from India with family for a small assignment of 2 years. They got their kid admitted into the local school. Kid comes back from school with some weird stuff and gets sick. Doctors found he overdosed on a hard drug. Parents were shocked! They never had a drug related conversation with that kid. Neither they expected that to happen. Drug abuse is pervasive in Canadian schools. It is absolutely absent from Indian schools leaving few parts of India. Indian parents have to seldom worry about drug in middle school. May be college but almost never school. They were missing that tribal knowledge of their new surrounding.

iran is the poor country we're selling our oil to india for rice !

The good thing about barter is that it doesn't sanction anyone as there is no assumed value known to a third party other than the engaging parties.

So consider it a win-win.

Yes it is a terrible thing for people to do to other's who are helpless. But you are using it here constantly as a means to attack all Indians and Indian culture (implication suggested by you that the culture is the cause for this social problem and I don't think you're necessarily wrong) but to keep this up and hate on all Indians and spread this sort of thinking, your intention is sinister and you are trying to destroy the reputation of all Indians and dehumanise all of them. At least that is the effect your posts have on suggestible readers (which is unfortunately the majority of humanity). I think most readers and posters on this site are well aware of India's reputation in this regard, it is a little unfair for them to be honest. By all means tell people to be cautious about these things in India but that's it. No need to go provoke public hate fests on the internet. It is personal but assaults on women happen all too often in Australia for example. So many asian girls get raped and murdered by white Australians. Should all asian people carry a deep hatred for all Australians because of this fact?

Again, you see sensationalised news which makes it look like everyone in India is raping everyone.

You need to comprehend the sheer scale and ratio of the crime that is announced versus the population density area and region of the country.

I am not justifying the crime but simply saying that it is minuscule compared to many far more advanced societies, with better stricter laws.

If you remove police from New York's streets for a day and all hell would break loose. Well, that is the normal status of Indian police in many states; they are assumed to be absent from people's lives still there are less crimes.

This might seem as a surprise to you but you might want to take any media news from India's 'free press' with a handful of salt, divide it by 100X and then consider it. Excessive people means not just factory or services sector has competition, so do channels.

They will do anything, ranging from false news to exaggeration beyond reason, to grab your attention. Then next day write a small apology in some tiny corner to accept their 'mistake' if someone points it out.

We won't be raising normal balanced families here if what you say was the case.

What you say, exists. But with times, things are changing. Not entire India is patriarchal. Meghalaya, certain communities of Manipur and Mizoram and Kerala are matriarchal societies.

People are better and have more exposure than before and are moving towards a more balanced society.

I am just curious to know where did you and your girlfriend visit because it must have been some weird hinterland of UP or Bihar to see so much doom and gloom.

There is crime but not so much in day to day life other than maybe someone running away with your wallet or a drunk getting into fist fights with you once in a while.

Thousands of women use public transport daily in big and small cities and come home everyday easily.

If you are going to believe that the entire country is like some rural hinterland, then I can only feel sorry for your ignorance.

We started off our trip in Mumbai, is Mumbai a weird hinterland? Wow, the excuses keep flowing, and we ended our trip in Mumbai after the incident.

Much of India is under feudal system. Also, caste system is really practiced all across the country. Only states like Kerala, Goa seems to be different. The biggest problem is, India's Hindu majority was misguided in electing Hindutva fascists into power and from 2014 end onwards, it is downward arrow. Lynch mobs, primitive and violent people claiming to enforce their bigoted BC 5000 century ideas on to India. What India needs is a secular party in power, like AAP or even if worser, INC Congress with Shashi Tharoor or someone capable in power, ban RSS and Sanghparivar and enforce good education to the poor. The difference between poor and rich is shockening in north and central, western India. The Indian forumers are mostly who are not affected by such poverty and they are desensitized as far as low castes, poverty are concerned. They are the supporters of Hindu Rashtra and lynch mobs who don't care if India fails.

Everywhere you look on the internet we have Indians who say India is rich, India is awesome, India is great.

So is India truly rich where there is no crime against women and kids and is India truly a rich country when it comes to material wealth?

I want to know how and when this happened? According to posters on this forum, Australia is a poor country when compared to India.

So going by this forum India is powerful and the most wealthy country in the world, that is amazing in anyone's book.

lol. hopefully u never saw the world report

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom