What's new

Is Hinduism monotheistic?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I assumed that Hinduism does not fit in any kind of definition like polytheism or monotheism etc . People can be polytheistic (more than one god), monotheistic (one god), pantheistic (god and the universe are one), agnostic (unsure if god exists) or atheistic (no god) and still claim to be Hindu

Do all Dharmic religion believe that spirit of all animals and humans are reincarnated which come back to earth repeatedly in different forms and their social standing in the reincarnated life is how they conducted themselves in their previous life ?

My Hindu friend told me that Hinduism is actually Monotheism in disguise and that all deities in Hinduism are just a form of the one supreme being. He sent me this link as well. Is Hinduism Polytheistic or Monotheistic? | One, God, Hinduism, Supreme, Forms
If this is the case then what is the difference between Hinduism and other Dharmic faiths?

no... most hindus in practice are polytheists ... although many are monotheist as well (believe in only one god)

I assumed that Hinduism does not fit in any kind of definition like polytheism or monotheism etc . People can be polytheistic (more than one god), monotheistic (one god), pantheistic (god and the universe are one), agnostic (unsure if god exists) or atheistic (no god) and still claim to be Hindu

Do all Dharmic religion believe that spirit of all animals and humans are reincarnated which come back to earth repeatedly in different forms and their social standing in the reincarnated life is how they conducted themselves in their previous life ?

You are right, you can't really define Hindu beliefs in my opinion. All Dharmic religions believe in Karma and reincarnation but Sikhism and Buddhism are much less complicated and have set beliefs.

no... most hindus in practice are polytheists ... although many are monotheist as well (believe in only one god)

Interesting, what about yourself?

Your friend is quite correct. In Hinduism there is a concept of one divine being. However culture and Brahmins fcuked the concept of Hinduism up. Similar to what some Islamic Mullahs are doing to Islam today

Your friend is quite correct. In Hinduism there is a concept of one divine being. However culture and Brahmins fcuked the concept of Hinduism up. Similar to what some Islamic Mullahs are doing to Islam today
there is no single dominal school of thought.. nor a single guiding scripture in hinduism.. we can only say what is in practice...
and predominantly its polytheist in practice.

Exactly, if it wasn't for Brahmins there would be no caste system. It is one of the reasons us Sikhs and Buddhism left Hinduism. Although Sikhs have failed in removing caste from our religion. I consider Rajput to be more of an ethnic group then a caste.

there is no single dominal school of thought.. nor a single guiding scripture in hinduism.. we can only say what is in practice...
and predominantly its polytheist in practice.

Listen to our prayers and our mantras and our hymns. Distortion of God's appearance as Avatars has resulted in the various forms of worship. Go to the basic messages espoused and see whether the concept of a single creator, preserver and destroyer can be debated

Exactly, if it wasn't for Brahmins there would be no caste system. It is one of the reasons us Sikhs and Buddhism left Hinduism. Although Sikhs have failed in removing caste from our religion. I consider Rajput to be more of an ethnic group then a caste.

Correction, if it wasn't for the Brahmins there wouldn't be the current sick numerous castes . The Vedas espoused four castes as confirmed in the Gita. One wasn't born into a caste and there wasn't a superior or inferior caste in those scriptures. The current modified Brahmin version is demeaning

Listen to our prayers and our mantras and our hymns. Distortion of God's appearance as Avatars has resulted in the various forms of worship. Go to the basic messages espoused and see whether the concept of a single creator, preserver and destroyer can be debated

well this all are open to interpretation... I never suggested single god is incompatible.. just that most people dont believe such..
our mythologies are full of gods who are jealous and want to go against each other (like greek gods)...

Nobody started hinduism. I guess it a culture and customs that transformed into religion.

well this all are open to interpretation... I never suggested single god is incompatible.. just that most people dont believe such..
our mythologies are full of gods who are jealous and want to go against each other (like greek gods)...

Demi Gods . And in the final scripture, Hindus are told to turn away from the Demi Gods without forgetting the good of their message and to turn to God himself ? I stand corrected since I have little time for religious books and rely on my Guru

@JattPunjabi - Why you are asking others? Isn't sikhism is offshoot of Hinduism?

Last edited by a moderator:
Demi Gods . And in the final scripture, Hindus are told to turn away from the Demi Gods without forgetting the good of their message and to turn to God himself ? I stand corrected since I have little time for religious books and rely on my Guru

and why do you think your guru is right... which final scripture are you talking about....

@JattPunjabi - Why you are asking others? Isn't sikhism is offshoot of Hinduism?
we parted ways long time ago.... long enough to be ignorant of each other's religious practices and belief... although if you have friends or relative who is sikh/hindu ... then you might know....
even then people find awkward to ask religion related question to friends ...

Last edited by a moderator:
and why do you think your guru is right... which final scripture are you talking about....

we parted ways long time ago.... long enough to be ignorant of each other's religious practices and belief... although if you have friends or relative who is sikh/hindu ... then you might know....
even then people find awkward to ask religion related question to friends ...

He is my Guru after all. Presumably, you being a Hindu do you not have a Guru? The Bhagavad Gita

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom