What's new

Is China made Y-20 Military Heavy Plane Good for PAF?

Lankan Ranger

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Is China made Y-20 Military Heavy Plane Good for PAF?

Crew: 3
Payload Capacity: 60,000-65000 kg
Length: 49 m
Wingspan: 50 m
Height: 15 m
Wing area: 310 m2
Empty weight: 100,000 kg
Max takeoff weight: 220,000 kg
Power: 4×turbofans
Maximum speed: 750-800 km/h
Range: (with max payload) 4,400 km
Service ceiling: 13,000 m

3931ffc9deb0f09f2b5c544640eadcc0.jpg

I THINK Y-20 CAN REPLACE OLD C-130 IN PAF

Y-20 would be more like a heavy lift transport plane, in the category of IL-76/78 or lil bit better may be. C-130s substitute would be either the upgraded Y8-600 or the not confirmed Y-9.

Problem is sometimes you would be needing a heavy transport aircraft to do some jobs, sometimes C-130 class can do the required job, and many times the small CN-235 class have to perform the job. Employing a Y-20 to do the job of C-130 isn't efficiency as it will cost more, same case what job can be done by a CN-235, employing a C-130 would not be wise.

So PAF needs a decent airlift fleet, a mixture of a few heavy lifts, augmented by medium lift class of C-130s and CN-235 types.

We are already going to get 4 IL-78 MRTT, which would be used as heavy lifters as well as air refueling tankers, A330 MRTT also good for both roles, if we can get something of same nature from China, would be the best option. Plus we don't need a very heavy lifting capability, 10-15 or so Y-20 / IL-78 platforms would be best and excellent of they are MRTTs.

C-130s / Y8 / Y9 in between 25-35 would be sufficient, similarly 20 or so CN-235 type would be enough.

They will give a good airlift capability to PAF as per our current requirements which i foresee, but off course PAF guys would know better to what should be the final numbers.

Brother Taimi Khan,

when u were quoting the number of planes in all three categories, believe me my heart was say "Aameen", i wish we could have such a massive airlifting capability, but i very much doubt that PAF would be thinking on the same lines, i thing PAF will be looking for say 20 C130s, upto 10 CN235s and at best 10 heavy airlifters cum Refeulers.

Brother Taimi Khan,

when u were quoting the number of planes in all three categories, believe me my heart was say "Aameen", i wish we could have such a massive airlifting capability, but i very much doubt that PAF would be thinking on the same lines, i thing PAF will be looking for say 20 C130s, upto 10 CN235s and at best 10 heavy airlifters cum Refeulers.

10 refulers :blink:

i will die with happiness if they even got 5 of 'em...

Y-20 is a near C-17 class transport, and is still under development. The PAF could buy a few when available, but it will not replace C-130. Lighter transports such as the Embraer KC-390, Shaanxi Y-9 or China's next-generation medium jet-transport would be suitable C-130 replacements.

10 refulers :blink:

i will die with happiness if they even got 5 of 'em...

Well you have just got 4 atleast, 1 has arrived, the other 3 will arrive next year. Yeah they are IL-78s but for us they are heavy lifters and a great leap compared to previous airlift capability comprised of C-130s.

And PAF is looking for more MRTT platforms, as said Airbus deal went down or else 2-3 would have been added to the 4 already ordered.

Brother Taimi Khan,

Well our CN-235s figures are not much near, otherwise rest of the figures are pretty damn close :azn:

anyway, a good decent airlift capability is a must for us by looking at the size of our defence forces and it will give added mobility to the armed forces.

And MRTT platforms would be the best option of all.

firstly why do we need around 50 lifters medium heavy & small? i thought we all agreed on the fact that pakistan airspace lacks depth!

C-130's that we have are from the 60's the airframes must be exhausted and would need to be phased out sometime during the next decade! however, C-130s is the best lift aircraft we have eve though i don't know if it is anything close to the new C130-J in terms of avionics & engine thrust.

CN235 is a light transport lifter that is slow & lacks the capabilities of the C130s but in routine peacetime movements it is an ideal option.

i really don't think in our military doctrine we need a heavy lift aircraft! besides in case of war our troops forward bases are not very far! deployment will not be difficult due to the fact that the only threat to our borders is from the eastern border traditionally!

so splashing out BILLIONS on a couple of handful of transport aircraft is unwise given our weak economy!

Back
Top Bottom