What's new

Is Bangladesh becoming a Russian proxy state?

Bear in mind that Russia is not a full member of the WTO. It doesn't have that kind of global economic clout as the US has. It'd be very unwise to antagonize them

But nevertheless the AL government has repeatedly antagonised the United States. Where is it getting all this confidence to stand up to Uncle Sam? Sheikh Hasina is relying on her Indian and Russian connection to have her back .... This is exactly the same thing that Sheikh Mujib did but that was the USSR.

You are right it doesn't but you are only looking at this deal and I am looking at deals that have been struck over the last two years. Compared with the US, India and China only Russia has been able to start moving ahead on its projects while everyone else remains stalled .......

mmm...Russia has indeed been in quite a few deals. Did you know the WiMax provider, ollo is actually Russian?

Apparently, the company (a big one) is owned by the Russian mafia.

AL is also a mafia, so it's a good fit :rofl:

India and China have had quite a few deals. Hua-Wei is continuing to grow in business, and more Chinese businesses will come in. I guarantee it.

The Indians have been aggressively lobbying for its products and services here.

The Russians were barely known in our business climate. So now, they might just be starting their engines. And I'd have to say, it's a strong start.

Only an idiot would ignore a 150 million consumer market.

The US is...uh.........meh...they should to be more active in the business climate of Bangladesh. Not through fronts like NGOs, WB and IFC.

But nevertheless the AL government has repeatedly antagonised the United States. Where is it getting all this confidence to stand up to Uncle Sam? Sheikh Hasina is relying on her Indian and Russian connection to have her back .... This is exactly the same thing that Sheikh Mujib did but that was the USSR.

As I said, I'll never forgive them for antagonizing the US :D

Hasina has 12 months left in power.

Then she is most probably out.

Also she knows if she really antagonizes the US (thus the UK), where her son has property and businesses, and the UK where she has homes she is in trouble.

She merely chooses to upgrade relations with a much-ignored world power within the parameters that are possible.

Nuke deal at final stage

Dhaka team goes to Moscow to finalise terms for Rooppur power plant

Staff Correspondent

A 15-member delegation led by Board of Investment Chairman Syed Abdus Samad left for Moscow yesterday to finalise the modalities for a Russian credit for setting up a nuclear power plant in Rooppur of Pabna.

Russia has agreed to finance 85 percent of the project cost at an interest rate of 4.5 percent to be repaid in five years, according to a draft agreement sent to the government recently.

The total cost of the 1,000 megawatt plant has been estimated between Tk 12,000 crore and Tk 15,000 crore.

Moscow said it would make an advance payment of $500 million (around Tk 4,000 crore) for the preparatory works of the project.

Bangladesh will suggest fixing the interest rate at three percent and loan repayment period at 28 years, officials in science and technology ministry said.

During its weeklong visit, the Bangladesh delegation will try to settle the crucial issues through negotiations. It will also seek a cut in the interest rate on the unutilised amount of the credit from one percent to 0.15 percent.

The delegation includes State Minister for Science and Technology Yeafesh Osman, member of Socio-Economic Infrastructure Division Masud Ahmed, Economic Relations Division Secretary Abul Kalam Azad, Science and Technology Secretary Rafiqul Islam, Legislative and Parliamentary Affairs Division Secretary Mohammad Shahidul Haque, chairman of Bangladesh Atomic Energy Commission Abu Sayeed Mohammad Firoz and project director of Rooppur Nuclear Power Plant project Shawkat Akbar.

Earlier the two countries had signed a framework agreement to build the plant for peaceful use of nuclear energy. Moscow also assured Dhaka of providing all kinds of technical support.

The project aims at minimising the gap between demand and supply of electricity through generation of nuclear power within the shortest possible time.

Nuke deal at final stage

What interests do the russians have in bd? Gazprom was awarded some contracts and the nuclear deal. What else? As far as i see the russians dont have any strategic interest here unlike uncle sam. Uncle sam fairly control the fate of this government through the padma bridge deal, the people of bd has take the fate of padma bridge seriously.

What interests do the russians have in bd? Gazprom was awarded some contracts and the nuclear deal. What else? As far as i see the russians dont have any strategic interest here unlike uncle sam. Uncle sam fairly control the fate of this government through the padma bridge deal, the people of bd has take the fate of padma bridge seriously.

Uncle Sam ? :what:

Shouldn't it be Auntie Sonia ! :undecided:

We're the ones who are controlled by the nuts by Uncle Sam ! :hitwall:

Uncle Sam ? :what:

Shouldn't it be Auntie Sonia ! :undecided:

We're the ones who are controlled by the nuts by Uncle Sam ! :hitwall:

Many of our development and aid funds come from organizations like World Bank, Asian Development Bank, and such. Uncle Sam holds the largest shares in those.

Also, our army participates a lot in UN peacekeeping missions. Where does the money come from? You guessed it, Uncle Sam.

Much of our weapons are from Russia and China. Our C-130s are crucial for UN missions though. And again, Uncle Sam scores.....we are adding 4 more of those fat boys to our fleet :hang2:

Love him or hate him :D

India has its influence here, but it's really trolling at best.

And Russia? Where's Russia? I've never heard of that country.....

True, but India's influence increased over the last 4 years( + MUA/FUA 2 years) considerably at the expense of the destruction of BD economy and national interest. It would take us 5-10 years at least to come out from the disaster , provided proper measures and concrete strategic planing is done.

The Indians are allowing the Russians in to keep Uncle Sam out. Russia has an interest in access to the Indian Ocean. They can't do that through Pakistan so why not BD.

Many of our development and aid funds come from organizations like World Bank, Asian Development Bank, and such. Uncle Sam holds the largest shares in those.

Also, our army participates a lot in UN peacekeeping missions. Where does the money come from? You guessed it, Uncle Sam.

Much of our weapons are from Russia and China. Our C-130s are crucial for UN missions though. And again, Uncle Sam scores.....we are adding 4 more of those fat boys to our fleet :hang2:

Love him or hate him :D

How dare you disagree with people with far more "knowledge" and contacts than you?!

Who are you? You are a nobody. Have you ever worked for the DGFI, a secret agency and then told half of the world on the internet that you worked for them?

Do you have super-duper insider contacts everywhere and special inside information in the world of espionage and geo-politics?

Are you a Dhaka version of James Bond?

Tsk, tsk, tsk...shame on you!

*sarcasm*

How dare you disagree with people with far more "knowledge" and contacts than you?!

Who are you? You are a nobody. Have you ever worked for the DGFI, a secret agency and then told half of the world on the internet that you worked for them?

Do you have super-duper insider contacts everywhere and special inside information in the world of espionage and geo-politics?

*sarcasm*

No Loki is fine. You are the one who is fake .....

I was with DGFI as their legal consultant. Not a secret agent idiot ....

The Indians are allowing the Russians in to keep Uncle Sam out. Russia has an interest in access to the Indian Ocean. They can't do that through Pakistan so why not BD.

I'd wager, in what position is exactly India in to "allow" the Russians on what to do and what not to do? On what basis?

If I were Russian, I'd work hard to make my country a full member of the WTO. Locking horns with the US is a very bad idea for them right now. Hell, it's just plain stupid on their part.

The only things the Russians are relevant in Bangladesh is this nuclear energy deal, BTR-80s and MiG-29s.

Although, Bangladesh should not go to a level in which they'd become too dependent on Russia for energy. They should involve more nations in Bangladesh's huge energy market.

I still fail to understand why oh why they aren't exploiting the coal reserves :hitwall:

*sarcasm*

Oh believe me, he was ;)

The basic flaw in your statement is that you overestimate Indian and underestimate BD. Who are we to let Russia in?? Russia is a much big player when it comes to international scenario. We are not in a position to let in or keep out countries like Russia.

The basic flaw in your statement is that you overestimate Indian and underestimate BD. Who are we to let Russia in?? Russia is a much big player when it comes to international scenario. We are not in a position to let in or keep out countries like Russia.

Don't spend too much time on refuting all this nonsense and James Bond style fiction.

Some facts.

1. The US is the most powerful external entity in Bangladesh and can, if it ultimately wants to, cause the downfall of any Dhaka administration.

2. The Russians are not even no.2 to the US but if anything no.4 after both Asian giants, China and India who have far more influence and far more interest in a regional neighbour.

3. The most ridiculous part of all this nonsense is the stuff about Russian access to the Indian sea via Bangladesh.

A: Bangladesh has no direct or indirect border with Russia.

B: Russia would have to go through central Asia > Afghanistan > Pakistan > India to get to Bangladesh.

or alternatively through another rival, China.

C: Russia cannot have a naval base in Bangladesh, as Bangladesh will never allow foreign bases on its soil.

The Americans have been trying for 60 years and have never been allowed to, even when Bangladesh was far poorer and weaker.

Munshi writes exaggerated nonsense, belittles people whom he thinks do not hob-knob with the corrupt Dhaka elite, boasts of his super-duper contacts and status and is engaged in continuous self-promotion.

The problem with all his misinformation is it gives an unstable image of Bangladesh, as some sort of scene of the "great game".

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom