What's new

Iron Fist 2016 Air Force station, Jaisalmer---- pics and videos

Can anyone tell me by what margin the LGB missed the target? If i understand if the margin is less than 5m than its within acceptable CEP of 3-5 m.

Secondly, reading posts i understand R73 failed to hit the target.. This may have been seekers issues here.. But Strangely i would have preferred perhaps Python 5...

Bcz as far as i know the R73E is basically a LOBL missile with 2 color seeker which uses two different bands of "light" to distinguish an aircraft from a decoy flare. These bands of light is UV and IR. IR is related to heat, while UV is often related to very high voltage, burning, or cosmic energy coming from the sky at night. UV and IR energy also come from the sun in addition to all frequencies of visible light

When a flare is seen by the R73E seeker ,those flares will emit UV energy as well as IR energy and visible light energy so by making a missile UV sensitive it can detect whether a heat or IR source is a flare burning or an aircraft engine output heat and light to properly target.

Whereas in case of Python 5 which has both LOAL and LOBL actually uses an IIR seeker which creates the image of the target in IR spectrum. This is a better prospect but 2 colored seeker are much cheaper to produce..

Judging by the whole different posts , i am presuming that the LOBL in this case means pilot HMDS must have a solid lock on the target. It does not need to calculate anything, it just needs a sensor on board the aircraft to direct the seeker in the missile to the target. That sensor can be the helmet mounted sight, the IRST, or the radar. Once directed to the target and a lock is achieved meaning the seeker is now tracking that target exclusively, then the missile can be fired.

A LOBL missile cannot be fired to fly to a specific place in space and then find and lock the target itself... that would be LOAL case. There is no datalink for communication between launch aircraft and R73, so a missile launched without a lock will hit only the ground. This seems to point to me either a wrong targeting or a error in target inputting link .

For Igla Manpad, Igla uses PRONAV or proportional navigation. PRONAV describes the path the missile takes to it's intercept point. In PRONAV, the missile's path is computed based on the target's path. In PRONAV, the missile has to know where the target is; that's the whole point of using PRONAV as a guidance algorithm. So again i think, the targeting input itself was not very precise and hence PRONAV could not do any correct navigation at all.. This needs serious look into... again from seeker perspective it is suppose to distinguish between a flare and a target flying object. We do need to check whether it was error in targeting input or seeker being unable to work in that particular conditions.

+++
Am i the only one or is Russian Weapons here failing in real environment test.. Is it to build a consensus to move away from such platforms?

@Abingdonboy @MilSpec @AUSTERLITZ

Wrt LGB , are the indicating numbers - bulls eye ?

Or the coloured sand had bull eye at a distance from the indicating number ?

Can anyone tell me by what margin the LGB missed the target? If i understand if the margin is less than 5m than its within acceptable CEP of 3-5 m.

Secondly, reading posts i understand R73 failed to hit the target.. This may have been seekers issues here.. But Strangely i would have preferred perhaps Python 5...

Bcz as far as i know the R73E is basically a LOBL missile with 2 color seeker which uses two different bands of "light" to distinguish an aircraft from a decoy flare. These bands of light is UV and IR. IR is related to heat, while UV is often related to very high voltage, burning, or cosmic energy coming from the sky at night. UV and IR energy also come from the sun in addition to all frequencies of visible light

When a flare is seen by the R73E seeker ,those flares will emit UV energy as well as IR energy and visible light energy so by making a missile UV sensitive it can detect whether a heat or IR source is a flare burning or an aircraft engine output heat and light to properly target.

Whereas in case of Python 5 which has both LOAL and LOBL actually uses an IIR seeker which creates the image of the target in IR spectrum. This is a better prospect but 2 colored seeker are much cheaper to produce..

Judging by the whole different posts , i am presuming that the LOBL in this case means pilot HMDS must have a solid lock on the target. It does not need to calculate anything, it just needs a sensor on board the aircraft to direct the seeker in the missile to the target. That sensor can be the helmet mounted sight, the IRST, or the radar. Once directed to the target and a lock is achieved meaning the seeker is now tracking that target exclusively, then the missile can be fired.

A LOBL missile cannot be fired to fly to a specific place in space and then find and lock the target itself... that would be LOAL case. There is no datalink for communication between launch aircraft and R73, so a missile launched without a lock will hit only the ground. This seems to point to me either a wrong targeting or a error in target inputting link .

For Igla Manpad, Igla uses PRONAV or proportional navigation. PRONAV describes the path the missile takes to it's intercept point. In PRONAV, the missile's path is computed based on the target's path. In PRONAV, the missile has to know where the target is; that's the whole point of using PRONAV as a guidance algorithm. So again i think, the targeting input itself was not very precise and hence PRONAV could not do any correct navigation at all.. This needs serious look into... again from seeker perspective it is suppose to distinguish between a flare and a target flying object. We do need to check whether it was error in targeting input or seeker being unable to work in that particular conditions.

+++
Am i the only one or is Russian Weapons here failing in real environment test.. Is it to build a consensus to move away from such platforms?

@Abingdonboy @MilSpec @AUSTERLITZ
I Think the R-73 which LCA used Has Seeker Issue or May be technical Fault .In Other Scenario U See Mig-29 Successfully Hit the Target Flare at 2hr:10 in Video.or R-73 is Facing issues in Integration with Elta 2032 MMR

Wrt LGB , are the indicating numbers - bulls eye ?

Or the coloured sand had bull eye at a distance from the indicating number ?
i think Camera View is also Poor, No Top View
Check Out the Video of MKI Dropping LGB with Pin Point Accuracy At Vayu Shakti 2010

And the best performance award for the Iron Fist 2016 goes to..
1. The Camera pod on Jaguar
2. Pranab Mukharjee for safely getting out of Mil Mi17 V5
3. And the honest one, to LCH for firing rocket on target on it's first public appearnce.

And the best performance award for the Iron Fist 2016 goes to..
3. And the honest one, to LCH for firing rocket on target on it's first public appearnce.
Third Point is Favorite Moment of Mine Imagining LCH Raining Hell on Terrorists in Kashmir And Naxalites in Red corridor :smokin:Soon My dream will come True:butcher:

@PARIKRAMA @Abingdonboy Guys What About BAE Hawk Raining Rockets and Bombs on Targets Is it First time or Its Happened Previously

Last edited:
or R-73 is Facing issues in Integration with Elta 2032 MMR
The R-73E was cued by the DASH III HMS not by the radar and the LCA has sucessfully used the R-73E in the past- in Iron Fist 2013 it used the DASH III to make an off boresight shot with the R-73E against a similar target. This time the seeker seemed to fail, there's a reason the Python V is prefered by the IN and increasingly by the IAF.

@PARIKRAMA

????

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

The LCH looked sublime, the intial swoop and pull up translated the raw power of that bird very well.

I don't know if this has been brought up before and I did try finding the part of one of the videos supposedly showing an R-73 "Archer" miss and couldn’t find it, but I'm wondering what kind of warhead the missiles were armed with. The reason being that if they are still armed with a proximity fused warhead, even if it's just a demo missile, then it's not actually supposed to hit the target. It's supposed to get within so many meters of the target and then detonate for maximum effect of it's expanding rod warhead.

Like I said, I didn't actually see the video so I don't know if that is a factor or not, but just a thought.

Depends on the Blast radii of the LGB/PGM, bigger the payload, bigger the acceptable margin.

I don't know about failing, the question might be was the warhead even a live warhead or dummy training round without the pre fragmented charge and proximity sensor?

Knowing Pakistan not reporting their failure to keep the moral high, this is no surprise at all. Pakistan has a policy of only reporting success.
And Indian idiocy is hardly surprising since even a blind person can witness the exercise was carried out before dozens of foreign military observers and dignitaries. Learn to accept your own failures.

@Windjammer @DESERT FIGHTER @Zibago @OverLoad
Look Tejas missed air to air missile target with R-73 and Igla mapad missed surface to air target. :o:
at 1:20:28 to1:40:41

Off Topic: Someone plz wake up the minister to the left of Indian Air Force Air Chief.
On Topic: Seeing SU-30 MKIs missing a lased target No 9 was utter disappointment for me too. The Old SU-27s and Jaguars though got bulls eye. Oops sorry...Jaguar just missed target No 11.

lol...indian forces embarrass themselves again?

tell me something new.

Difference of quality between PAF's live demonstrations and iaf is clear as crystal.

PAF men are far more professional than iaf boys

lol...indian forces embarrass themselves again?

tell me something new.

Difference of quality between PAF's live demonstrations and iaf is clear as crystal.

PAF men are far more professional than iaf boys
Yeah, sab America ke den,. Phir bhi har ek war haar gaye. Even with better skill, so what keeps going wrong? Lolz

Back
Top Bottom