What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

I'm not sure what you're saying, so Kowsar/Saeqeh is not an analog of F-5 ? Yes the body is made out of synthetic materials like carbon fiber, yes it has a more modern radar which is built under license from China, but it's still an analog of the F-5. It's based on the F-5 blueprint. Its dimensions are more than 90% identical.

Just to give you an example, the US has been building the C-130 Hercules for 50 years years. A C-130 Hercules built in 2022 is completely different from a C-130 Hercules built in the 1950s or 60s but it's still a C-130 Hercules. The new C-130's, their airframes are built from different materials, the technology, the components, sensors, everything is different, but it's still a C-130. They could call it anything they want but as long as its based on the same blueprint, it's basically the same thing.

Honestly I don't think the SU-35 is the best fighter jet out there, I don't even think it's the best 4th generation fighter on the market, but Iran's airforce cannot purchase western jets. so they have two choices, SU-35 or J-10 and it seems that they chose SU-35. Compared to the F-5 it's faster, more maneuverable, can carry a larger payload and has thrust vectoring. It's not a bad platform.

You keep mentioning that F-5 can be upgraded with newer and better components, which is true, but you disregard the fact that the same can be said about the SU-35. Iran's airforce can upgrade its components/sensors including radar, avionics, etc if they find them to be insufficient. I don't see them upgrading anything right away but in a few years they very well might.

If Iran could build a medium-heavy fighter jet that could live up to modern standards, then there would be no need to look elsewhere, but if they could then they would have already by now. I'm not talking about a display model or prototype that doesn't fly (Qaher), I'm talking about mass production of a modern platform. I think the F-5 is a decent platform for what it is, but it's not suitable as a frontline fighter. As a secondary platform in a support role, yes, but not as a frontline fighter jet.

Anyways just wait and see what happens. It seems all but certain that the SU-35 deal has already been signed and if Iranian pilots are already training then its just a matter of time, but you never know. As far as I'm concerned, until the jets land in Iran, it's not a done deal.

Tell me what su-35 bring us? How it add to our knowledge.?
And why you believe kowsar is equal to f5 and is reverse engineered f5 even the body is modified, RADAR is modified E-Warfare suit is modified it has different system to control the airplane it has data link capabilities. The design itself i despite being old is not that bad after all F-18 Also built on te same architecture.
Only copy is engine and that will change in time.

Last edited:
I browsed the last 300 pages from 2020, and people are always arguing with Hack-Hook about Su-35, why is this eternal debate with him still going?

Just let's get okay, Hack Hook hates the Su-35 and says it is obsolete and unworthy against any western fighter jets or any fighters possessing AESA, that it would be useless and overpriced for Iran and that Iran could do nothing with it, that Iran needs to still keep working on the F-5 airframe for eternity and makes everything by itself, that Su-35 range is very low and their missiles are bad. That's it no need to debate forever about this

For my position Su-35s would be very useful for bombing terrorist or separatist positions near borders, instead of over relying on missiles and drones for such targets, air strikes are more precise and more reliable to hit critical positions and avoid early warning, as well as making good propaganda coups for Iran Air Force

I'm not sure what you're saying, so Kowsar/Saeqeh is not an analog of F-5 ? Yes the body is made out of synthetic materials like carbon fiber, yes it has a more modern radar which is built under license from China, but it's still an analog of the F-5. It's based on the F-5 blueprint. Its dimensions are more than 90% identical.

Just to give you an example, the US has been building the C-130 Hercules for 50 years years. A C-130 Hercules built in 2022 is completely different from a C-130 Hercules built in the 1950s or 60s but it's still a C-130 Hercules. The new C-130's, their airframes are built from different materials, the technology, the components, sensors, everything is different, but it's still a C-130. They could call it anything they want but as long as its based on the same blueprint, it's basically the same thing.

Honestly I don't think the SU-35 is the best fighter jet out there, I don't even think it's the best 4th generation fighter on the market, but Iran's airforce cannot purchase western jets. so they have two choices, SU-35 or J-10 and it seems that they chose SU-35. Compared to the F-5 it's faster, more maneuverable, can carry a larger payload and has thrust vectoring. It's not a bad platform.

You keep mentioning that F-5 can be upgraded with newer and better components, which is true, but you disregard the fact that the same can be said about the SU-35. Iran's airforce can upgrade its components/sensors including radar, avionics, etc if they find them to be insufficient. I don't see them upgrading anything right away but in a few years they very well might.

If Iran could build a medium-heavy fighter jet that could live up to modern standards, then there would be no need to look elsewhere, but if they could then they would have already by now. I'm not talking about a display model or prototype that doesn't fly (Qaher), I'm talking about mass production of a modern platform. I think the F-5 is a decent platform for what it is, but it's not suitable as a frontline fighter. As a secondary platform in a support role, yes, but not as a frontline fighter jet.

Anyways just wait and see what happens. It seems all but certain that the SU-35 deal has already been signed and if Iranian pilots are already training then its just a matter of time, but you never know. As far as I'm concerned, until the jets land in Iran, it's not a done deal.

It's completely obvious that the Kowsar is nearly identical to an F-5. The things you mention are significant, with one obvious exception. The engine. You didn't mention that.

Kowsar has:
New airframes made of modern materials, carbon fiber, etc.
A new, improved engine that is reverse-engineered from the J-85 called Owj
Modern instrument panels and radars
Capable of carrying modern precision weapons

This is incredible development, and possibly incredibly lucky for Iran given the new reality of modern warfare. Drones, cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, and have rendered stealth airframes as nearly obsolete. Dogfighting is over. Everyone knows dogfighting is over. The era of having to fly over the target to drop a bomb is over.

If Iran had a jet with an F-4 airframe that had:

New Hypothetical F4
A new, improved engine that is reverse-engineered from the J-79 called Owj-79
Capable of carrying modern precision weapons, cruise missiles, etc

It would essentially need nothing else in the air force.

The F4 carries 18,000 pounds of bombs/missiles
F18 carries 13,000 pounds of bombs
F15 carries 15,000 pounds of bombs
F22 carries 20,000 pounds of bombs
F35 carries 23,000 pounds of bombs

If Iran has a Mach 2.2 aircraft with new materials, new engines, new radars, and can carry 18,000 pounds of precision cruise missiles, precision glide bombs, etc then what else is needed? Kowsar can carry weapons, dog fight if needed, etc. Air defense, ballistic missiles, and drones are already things that Iran does a superb job with.

Imagine an airbase in southern Ukraine and Iran has joined its Russian ally in the war... and Iran's objective is to assist in taking Kherson, Mykolaiv, and Odessa in the south. On the airfield you have:

• 24 "new" F4's with the charactertics described above (new airframes, new engines, new radars, etc). F4's are armed with Balaban and Yasin glide bombs, and also Qader air to surface precision cruise missiles
  • 14 Kowsars armed with sidewinders
  • 5 Fateh 110 launchers
  • Shahed-136 drones
I am not suggesting Iran would ever do this, or should do this, its a hypothetical scenario of a modern war zone to provide context. Is there any target in Ukraine that Iran could not hit? Is there any advantage, using these bombs/missiles, that a SU-57, F-35, etc would provide? If so, is it worth the cost? Also, would it be more efficient to do that with drones or ballistic missiles? We are talking about Mach 2 aircraft that can deliver precision weapons from many kilometers away.

fg_2316384-jdw-2472.jpg

Qader-missile.jpg

Has anyone else heard about this. It's hard to believe. I wonder if the Turkish authorities were aware of this. If its proven that they were aware they're going to get in alot of trouble for sanctions evasion. The US might even try seizing these planes by pressuring any country they fly to. Or perhaps Iran will simply keep them and use them for the next 2-3 decades ? I don't know what to make of it.

Four ex Turkish Airlines Airbus A340s disappear to ... Iran

On 23 December 2022, a day the world was busy with Christmas preparations, four ex Turkish Airlines’ Airbus A340-300s, which had been stored at Johannesburg since spring 2019 were ferried to Tehran (Iran).

The four aircraft were withdrawn from use by Turkish Airlines in late 2018/early 2019. After a few months of storage at Istanbul, they were ferried to Johannesburg in March and April 2019 and all four were registered in the Guernsey (2-REG) register on behalf of a company based in Hong Kong, called AVRO Global Limited.

On the afternoon of 23 December all four aircraft left Johannesburg at almost the same time with Burkino Faso registrations XT-AKA, XT-AKB, XT-AKK and XT-ALM. Scramble Magazine does not know which XT-registration belongs to which MSN. If you have more information, please let us know at social@scramble.nl

The four aircraft involved are:

msn 115, 2-AVRA, ex TC-JDM
msn 180, 2-AVRB, ex TC-JDN
msn 270, 2-AVRC, ex TC-JIH
msn 331, 2-AVRD, ex TC-JII

In the original flightplan Uzbekistan was mentioned as the final destination, but once in Iranian airspace, the aircraft diverted to Tehran where they landed.

The flight numbers used for this flight used a MAN airline code. This code does not exist, but given the aircraft final destination, we assume this is a hint to its new owner ... Mahan Air. So despite the sanctions against Iran, it looks like some clandestine transaction took place and these four ex Turkish A340-300s will call Tehran home for the rest of their operational life.

He's against Iran importing any new technology when the models built in Iran he's advocating are themselves analogs of previously imported technology. The SU-35's will surely give Iran a huge boost in every way.

Going against western fighter jets from western nations face to face is nearly impossible. Even if Iran were to import fighter jets like the Rafale, Gripen, F-35, they wouldn't stand a chance against their western counter parts in case of a conflict because they would be export models.

Not to mention the western nations could always turn off their communications since they're the ones who wrote the codes and control the satellites. I'm not sure if they would have a kill switch but I doubt if they would give Iran the source codes.

Aside from SU-35 Iran's airforce desperately needs AWACS planes as well as an engine for the Iran 140, as well as a variety of other parts and components for various industries. Now that the Russians are under harsh western sanctions and are staunchly opposed to the west, it's really a golden opportunity for Iran to import all the technology they need from Russia.

In this situation the Russians are more willing than ever to sell military technology to Iran and whereas they usually would not be willing to give Iran source codes / blueprints / technology transfers, now they are, so why not take advantage of it ?

I browsed the last 300 pages from 2020, and people are always arguing with Hack-Hook about Su-35, why is this eternal debate with him still going?

Just let's get okay, Hack Hook hates the Su-35 and says it is obsolete and unworthy against any western fighter jets or any fighters possessing AESA, that it would be useless and overpriced for Iran and that Iran could do nothing with it, that Iran needs to still keep working on the F-5 airframe for eternity and makes everything by itself, that Su-35 range is very low and their missiles are bad. That's it no need to debate forever about this

For my position Su-35s would be very useful for bombing terrorist or separatist positions near borders, instead of over relying on missiles and drones for such targets, air strikes are more precise and more reliable to hit critical positions and avoid early warning, as well as making good propaganda coups for Iran Air Force

Last edited:
I don't know, the military aviation industry has come a long way since the F-4/F-5 were first introduced. With fighter jets like the F-22 and Rafale out there, I think it's time Iran's airforce either builds or acquires new fighter jets using more contemporary designs. Just my opinion.

What I wonder is if Iran is working on a highly maneuverable UAV, something like the Turkish Kizilelma or the Chinese Wuzhen-8 hypersonic reconnaissance/suicide drone. I've seen some miniature prototypes over the years being tested in Iran.

Iran surely has most of the technology required to build such a drone (engine, radar, avionics, etc), the only issue is satellite communications and preferably AWACS planes, but with the recent military satellite Iran purchased from Russia, with hopefully more to come, along with the 10 fold increase in Iran's space industry budget, that piece of the puzzle should not be a problem.

It's completely obvious that the Kowsar is nearly identical to an F-5. The things you mention are significant, with one obvious exception. The engine. You didn't mention that.

Kowsar has:

This is incredible development, and possibly incredibly lucky for Iran given the new reality of modern warfare. Drones, cruise missiles, ballistic missiles, and have rendered stealth airframes as nearly obsolete. Dogfighting is over. Everyone knows dogfighting is over. The era of having to fly over the target to drop a bomb is over.

New Hypothetical F4

If Iran has a Mach 2.2 aircraft with new materials, new engines, new radars, and can carry 18,000 pounds of precision cruise missiles, precision glide bombs, etc then what else is needed? Kowsar can carry weapons, dog fight if needed, etc. Air defense, ballistic missiles, and drones are already things that Iran does a superb job with.

Imagine an airbase in southern Ukraine and Iran has joined its Russian ally in the war... and Iran's objective is to assist in taking Kherson, Mykolaiv, and Odessa in the south. On the airfield you have:

• 24 "new" F4's with the charactertics described above (new airframes, new engines, new radars, etc). F4's are armed with Balaban and Yasin glide bombs, and also Qader air to surface precision cruise missiles
  • 5 Fateh 110 launchers
  • Shahed-136 drones
I am not suggesting Iran would ever do this, or should do this, its a hypothetical scenario of a modern war zone to provide context. Is there any target in Ukraine that Iran could not hit? Is there any advantage, using these bombs/missiles, that a SU-57, F-35, etc would provide? If so, is it worth the cost? Also, would it be more efficient to do that with drones or ballistic missiles? We are talking about Mach 2 aircraft that can deliver precision weapons from many kilometers away.

fg_2316384-jdw-2472.jpg

Qader-missile.jpg

Last edited:

China fighter jet flew within six metres of US surveillance plane​

Video of incident shows a Chinese J-11 jet flying dangerously close to a US surveillance plane over the South China Sea.

If you put yourself in their shoes, their anger is understandable.
Ukranians anger is understandable but their threats against Iran arent- please i hope you see the difference- Ukraine is so foolish and unwise, if it provokes Iran to fire missiles at Ukraine, that state might collapse shortly after, or NATO will have to do an "emergency operation" to hold up west Ukraine asap.
But I believe that this proves that their claims about shooting down 100% of the drones and missiles launched by Russia is fake.
100%, and you are spot on on that- Air defense by nature is a low efficiency game, so we knew Ukraine has been lying about its air defenses interception rates for a while now..Ukraine said its intercepting 80% of Shahed `136s..hoooow? thats just too high, and with degraded and ammunition-low air defenses for Ukraine today, there is no way Ukraine can intercept even up to 50% of the Shahed 136s.

The sign IMO that Ukraine is effectively downing the Shahed 136s would be that Russia would fire increasing numbers of them into Ukraine, because more would be getting shot down, but i havent seen Russia shoot more and more Shahed 136s..Russia even paused using them, so i believe Ukraine shoots down 50% of SHaheds on christmas day type of days for the Ukranian army, but most days arent Christmas..but i guess the US govt is Ukraine's daily father Christmas..sad.

Anyone believing any claims of things destroyed or numbers coming from Ukraine government should either lack a brain or doing it on propaganda purpose to spread it

Ffs this is war, Russia too uses exaggerated numbers to boost soldier morale and demoralize opponent, same for Ukraine but their war propaganda touches not only Ukrainian but prominently westerners, same for any past war, during Iran Iraq war, Saddam was claiming he bombed completely all Iran bases and destroyed thousands of aircraftsthe first days and that the rush will be very easy so his soldiers could go with less fear, same for Iran, Iranians were told Iraqis were weakened so more morale to fight and defend. Same for Vietnam, China, Pakistan vs India, same for Nazis and just any war from any party of a conflict

Keep in mind that the Ukrainian part loves to record everything they destroy from drones to dead soldiers to executions, if they destroyed so much drones we would have images popping out everywhere and satellite imagery

Going against western fighter jets face to face is nearly impossible. Even if Iran were to import fighter jets like the Rafale, Gripen, F-35, they wouldn't stand a chance against their western counter parts in case of a conflict because they would be export models.
Then why buy them when thy can't go against KSA or UAE? For showing them in army day.
And what we can learn from it our indigenous airplane need something in class of rd-33 not AL-31 or AL-41. You want study it's aero dynamic then study MIG-29 aerodynamic. You want it's radar then knew its old and susceptible to e-warfare and if scaled down to a size suitable for light to medium fighter the result will be shitty. You want its irst, it's one of the oldest and least effective and guess what we already build better sensors than the one used in it.

Kowsar has:

New Hypothetical F4

• 5 Fateh 110 launchers
  • Shahed-136 drones

fg_2316384-jdw-2472.jpg

Qader-missile.jpg
Good news for you, these F4 SM (super improving) exist now and for their numbers, I don't know, it's a very interesting secret from Iran.

Iran buys five planes to boost fleet size of domestic airlines​

Thursday, 29 December 2022 7:28 PM [ Last Update: Thursday, 29 December 2022 7:28 PM ]

US Rep. Ilhan Omar (D-MN) (L) talks with Speaker of the House Nancy Pelosi (D-CA) during a rally with fellow Democrats before voting on H.R. 1, or the People Act, on the East Steps of the US Capitol on March 08, 2019 in Washington, DC. (AFP photo)

Iran takes delivery of five second-hand planes to boost fleets of its domestic airlines.
Iran has taken delivery of five second-hand planes to boost the fleet size of its domestic airlines amid sanctions that have effectively barred the country from purchasing brand new aircraft.
Head of Iran’s Civil Aviation Organization (CAOIRI) Mohammad Mohammadi Bakhsh said on Thursday that the five Airbus and Boeing planes that had arrived in the country in recent days had an average age of 15 years.
Mohammadi Bakhsh said the planes will be supplied to three domestic airlines without identifying their names.
He hailed the arrival of the planes as a success for Iran amid US sanctions that seek to paralyze the civil aviation system in the country.
“Despite the sanctions, the country’s aviation fleet is being renovated and rejuvenated,” the official told the IRIB News.
CAOIRI spokesman Hassan Khoshkho indicated in a statement late on Wednesday that four of the newly-arrived planes were Airbus A340s that had been manufactured in France. The official would not elaborate on more details.
Iran’s flag carrier Iran Air had announced in mid-November that it had plans to increase its active fleet size by five planes until March.

Press TV’s website can also be accessed at the following alternate addresses:
www.presstv.ir
www.presstv.co.uk

Has anyone else heard about this. It's hard to believe. I wonder if the Turkish authorities were aware of this. If its proven that they were aware they're going to get in alot of trouble for sanctions evasion. The US might even try seizing these planes by pressuring any country they fly to. Or perhaps Iran will simply keep them and use them for the next 2-3 decades ? I don't know what to make of it.

Four ex Turkish Airlines Airbus A340s disappear to ... Iran

On 23 December 2022, a day the world was busy with Christmas preparations, four ex Turkish Airlines’ Airbus A340-300s, which had been stored at Johannesburg since spring 2019 were ferried to Tehran (Iran).

The four aircraft were withdrawn from use by Turkish Airlines in late 2018/early 2019. After a few months of storage at Istanbul, they were ferried to Johannesburg in March and April 2019 and all four were registered in the Guernsey (2-REG) register on behalf of a company based in Hong Kong, called AVRO Global Limited.

On the afternoon of 23 December all four aircraft left Johannesburg at almost the same time with Burkino Faso registrations XT-AKA, XT-AKB, XT-AKK and XT-ALM. Scramble Magazine does not know which XT-registration belongs to which MSN. If you have more information, please let us know at social@scramble.nl

The four aircraft involved are:

msn 115, 2-AVRA, ex TC-JDM
msn 180, 2-AVRB, ex TC-JDN
msn 270, 2-AVRC, ex TC-JIH
msn 331, 2-AVRD, ex TC-JII

In the original flightplan Uzbekistan was mentioned as the final destination, but once in Iranian airspace, the aircraft diverted to Tehran where they landed.

The flight numbers used for this flight used a MAN airline code. This code does not exist, but given the aircraft final destination, we assume this is a hint to its new owner ... Mahan Air. So despite the sanctions against Iran, it looks like some clandestine transaction took place and these four ex Turkish A340-300s will call Tehran home for the rest of their operational life.
Aware?

Mate they are likely fully in lockstep behind this operation to get these planes into Iran 😂 . Probably with a big fat paycheck $

Back
Top Bottom