What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

To all members:
I am trying to add aviation components that Iran builds for the aviation thread of the Iranian forum here..I have come blank about aircraft Radars....Does Iran make any aircraft radar!!!!..what is used in Kowsar..did Iran change the F-14 radar ..any info will be great..

Iran produces some stuff. Obviously nothing close to best in the west. Range 70-90 KM

1645546704963.png

To all members:
I am trying to add aviation components that Iran builds for the aviation thread of the Iranian forum here..I have come blank about aircraft Radars....Does Iran make any aircraft radar!!!!..what is used in Kowsar..did Iran change the F-14 radar ..any info will be great..

Iran produces some stuff. Obviously nothing close to best in the west. Range 70-90 KM

View attachment 817611

That’s the head scratcher right there, how a country that can build so many different advanced radars and air defense systems, has struggled to produce similar type radars for fighter jets.

Is it struggles with necessary raw components, miniaturization, power supply management, or just lack of funds?

Maybe @EvilWesteners can answer, but a decent PESA or even AESA should be well within Iran’s industrial base capability given its experience in air defense radars.

That’s the head scratcher right there, how a country that can build so many different advanced radars and air defense systems, has struggled to produce similar type radars for fighter jets.

Is it struggles with necessary raw components, miniaturization, power supply management, or just lack of funds?

Maybe @EvilWesteners can answer, but a decent PESA or even AESA should be well within Iran’s industrial base capability given its experience in air defense radars.
Unfortunately, @EvilWesteners left the forum uppon one mod abuse.

Yes my view also..I worked in IEI in shiraz before revolution..Today's IEI is 10 times more advanced than when I was there and even then they had the potential to build most components of an aircraft radar if they wanted to with the exception of a component called TWT Tubes..Today as you mentioned they build all kinds of AD radars..so most likely funding is the issue..Iran will be behind in this field if they do not make a move on it..Any aircraft Platform that Iran builds in the future will need one..

While searching the net for Iranian radars I came across this site

Most complete catalog of all Iranian radars and spec sheets..wow.o_Oo_O

might of Iran Airforce in the old days..Would make an American proud!...we just signed the cheques ..lol
1645551363094.png

Last edited:
According to the various interviews with Mr. Azarmehr on the Mehraein youtube channel, the tigers/kowsars, phantoms, and tomcats all have newer planar array radars or what he calls phased array radars. Not sure as to aesa vs pesa on the various aircraft but Azarmehr does answer questions posted to that channel in Farsi text if anyone wants to know more specifics. He did say that the kowsar radar is the 90km range planar array shown on this page and he also showed pictures of bayonet radars installed on IRIAF phantoms from many years back.

I think the main difficulty for Iran is miniaturization and power output for smaller radars vs the larger truck mounted stuff for air defense systems.

According to the various interviews with Mr. Azarmehr on the Mehraein youtube channel, the tigers/kowsars, phantoms, and tomcats all have newer planar array radars or what he calls phased array radars. Not sure as to aesa vs pesa on the various aircraft but Azarmehr does answer questions posted to that channel in Farsi text if anyone wants to know more specifics. He did say that the kowsar radar is the 90km range planar array shown on this page and he also showed pictures of bayonet radars installed on IRIAF phantoms from many years back.

I think the main difficulty for Iran is miniaturization and power output for smaller radars vs the larger truck mounted stuff for air defense systems.
That is good news but why aren't they making these radars more public..I tried to get photos /specs on the net..nothing showed up...I give it another try..

I mean Grifo E (AESA with SAR/ISAR capability) is what is in Brazilian upgraded F-5’s and even Pakistan considered them for their JF-17 Block III. Max range is stated at 85 nm.

So that is probably what I expect out of Iran in a true F-5 mass production model not a 90KM radar. Not this tinkering Kowsar model they tout.

Right now Iran is just modernizing the radars, not sure they are at the point of truly creating next generation radars.

I mean the fact they haven’t reverse engineered an F-14 radar by now just for tech demonstration purposes is quite puzzling. Has to be lack of funds or worse no go ahead from upper command. In Iran, the brightest military engineer minds go either for missile development or nuclear development.

A lot of the current aerospace minds are older and retiring over the coming decade.

Iran needs to get a move on while it still has the brain talent to put together a domestic program. Maybe it’s doing that behind the scenes. But in last 10-15 years there isn’t a lot of room for optimism given utter lack of developments in this field.

No focus in the air power area. I think you may already know why.

That is good news but why aren't they making these radars more public..I tried to get photos /specs on the net..nothing showed up...I give it another try..
I was surprised when Azarmehr talked about the extensive radar upgrades to planar array across IRIAF, though I am skeptical if every aircraft has had it radar upgraded. For instance, does every phantom in the fleet have a bayonet? Do the older F-5s have newer radars or will they get that when they get upgraded to kowsar?

I mean the fact they haven’t reverse engineered an F-14 radar by now just for tech demonstration purposes is quite puzzling. Has to be lack of funds or worse no go ahead from upper command. In Iran, the brightest military engineer minds go either for missile development or nuclear development.
He mentioned the tomcat radars have been upgraded though there was no further info and the picture provided is of the original. I think probably subsystems and processors might have been updated but the main array is the original awg-9.

If Kowsar really is using a radar in a similar class to Grifo E it could become an ok stop-gap plane until IRIAF can acquire 5th gen fighters, especially if Iran can acquire license production of the SD-10 or a similar missile to use alongside domestic AIM-9 derivatives. They have already shown off several types of glide bombs that could be integrated onto the platform and missiles like the Ghaem 114 could be used in a similar fashion to the Brimstone missile on the Eurofighter for ground targets. It's main weakness would be the engines at that point.

If Kowsar really is using a radar in a similar class to Grifo E

It’s not. Grifo range is 80 nautical miles (150KM), Iran’s is 90 KM. Grifo had SAR/ISAR capability.

Iran should strive to get that type of radar class on its Kowsar, would make the plane somewhat helpful. Right now it’s just a modernized F-5 with digital components.

Now it is well known fact that Iran did figjter jet modernization,which included New radars. It is question how many aircraft were actually modernized. Last news was about New radar for F1 Mirage, there is no precise spec. about these radars, Just some general INFO provided by different Iranian military officials. But as mentioned, considering Iranian industrial Base, Advanced air defense system produced, it can be considered that Iran can produced decent radar for figjter jet. Now, producing radar for air defense system or standalone ground based radar is different Thing completly than do it for figjter jet. Power and size are main chalange, producing powerful multipurpose radar but yet been small and fit in to Limited power supply fighterjet output, fighterjets have both AC & DC generators onboard, but with everyThing else mentioned, providing new more powerful is probably required.. But I still think that This is not problem for Iran industry, at least not for some 4th or 4+ gen radar.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom