What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

https://www.tasnimnews.com/fa/news/1398/11/14/2195411/بالگردهای-214-سپاه-مسلح-شدند-تجهیز-بالگردها-به-موشک-های-جدید-ضد-زره
The translation of the above page says Sadid,tho in the pic it also appears to have long fins at the back and bares more of a resemblance to the hellfire clone shown mounted on the fotros drone of a few years back.
1398111417500069719573804.jpg

1398111417480596319573784.jpg
Name on the missile is Qaem-114

2710753.jpg

Why was Fotros program halted and how do we know for sure ? Perhaps the Shahed platform better suits Iran's asymmetrical warfare tactics. On one hand it does seem somewhat feasible to have a larger drone which can act as a bomber of sorts but if you think about it not many countries have massive drones. There's the RQ-4 Global Hawk, the US built 30+ of them but I heard recently on a news program that only a couple are still in service ? I guess perhaps the medium drones can do the job and maybe the larger drones are too large, expensive and cumbersome ?

Certainly looks like it,I guess they kept that program going even after fotros was halted.
DyyhVOvXQAERDIX

IRGC Choppers Equipped with New Anti-Armor Missile
The Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) Ground Force has armed its helicopters with a homegrown air-to-surface anti-armor missile.

The images of a number of military helicopters overhauled in Iran suggest that the IRGC Ground Force’s Airborne Division has furnished its Bell 214 choppers with a new air-to-surface missile, known as the Iranian version of American AGM-114 Hellfire missile.

The weapons mounted on the IRGC’s Bell 214 helicopter, unveiled on Tuesday, are dubbed “Qaem-114” missiles, a new generation of the Qaem-class smart bombs.

1398111612420299219589554.jpg

An Iranian missile similar to the US-made AGM-114 Hellfire was for the first time unveiled in November 2013, when the Iranian Defense Ministry introduced the strategic homegrown drone dubbed “Fotros”.

The new Iranian anti-armor missile appears to be equipped with a dual-charge penetrating warhead, probably powerful enough to pierce through armored shells as thick as 1,000 mm.

It is not still clear how the Qaem-114 is guided, but it is probably made with optical sensors like other Qaem-class air-launched bombs.

Iranian experts have the technical know-how to manufacture the laser-guided version of such missiles, as they have already developed the Bina-1 and Bina-2 air-launched missiles.

It is very likely that the new Iranian anti-armor missile will be mounted on Cobra attack helicopters and combat drones capable of flying with heavy payloads.

The new weapon is expected to enhance the operational capabilities of the Iranian aerial units against armored ordnance.

https://www.tasnimnews.com/en/news/...choppers-equipped-with-new-anti-armor-missile

Why was Fotros program halted and how do we know for sure ? Perhaps the Shahed platform better suits Iran's asymmetrical warfare tactics. On one hand it does seem somewhat feasible to have a larger drone which can act as a bomber of sorts but if you think about it not many countries have massive drones. There's the RQ-4 Global Hawk, the US built 30+ of them but I heard recently on a news program that only a couple are still in service ? I guess perhaps the medium drones can do the job and maybe the larger drones are too large, expensive and cumbersome ?

Because Fostros was just an over-sized Shahed in a way. It didn’t have the jump in sensors and electronics that such a size UAV should have (think Global Hawk). Plus I imagine it was more expensive due to engine.

Lastly IRGC had no need for a 24 hour drone. Unlike US, IRGC isn’t launching drones from hundreds of KMs away. Shahed filled almost all roles well. Iran cannot reliably used Sats and GPS during wartime so this drone was kind of useless.

Unless I understood incorrectly, it seems he stated they are working on planes with stealth characteristic? He also stated they're working Radar absorption materials for planes.

He talked about Kaman-22 UAV being in development.
He also talked about linking UAVs and fighter jets together.

He also talked about a jet engine they tested on Kowsar but I am not sure if he was not talking about Owj or something newer?

Last edited:
Unless I understood incorrectly, it seems he stated they are working on planes with stealth characteristic? He also stated they're working Radar absorption materials for planes.

He also talked about a jet engine they tested on Kowsar but I am not sure if he was not talking about Owj or something newer?

Radar absorption material is nothing knew. Iranian universities were running test on material over 4-5 years ago. Military is generally much further along than public sector.

End of the day, no funding for Air Force so don’t expect much. Hence why they are focused on UAVs more.

Military official especially Air Force official don't really like talking about technologies that aren't already public knowledge.

He only talked about OwJ and as for stealth in terms of design he only said they are looking into it for future designs so nothing beyond paper and CAD designs and in terms of material or RAM again he said nothing new since Iran's been working on RAM for quite a while.

Bad news is that after a year they will only have 3 Kowsar jet ready and he kind of pointed to the fact that they have up to 10 airframes almost ready so clearly something is lacking or else why only 3 after a year.... So bad news indeed!

Military official especially Air Force official don't really like talking about technologies that aren't already public knowledge.

He only talked about OwJ and as for stealth in terms of design he only said they are looking into it for future designs so nothing beyond paper and CAD designs and in terms of material or RAM again he said nothing new since Iran's been working on RAM for quite a while.

Bad news is that after a year they will only have 3 Kowsar jet ready and he kind of pointed to the fact that they have up to 10 airframes almost ready so clearly something is lacking or else why only 3 after a year.... So bad news indeed!

Could the slow construction of the Owj engines be the cause?

Could the slow construction of the Owj engines be the cause?

It could be but the Owj or J-85 is really not that advanced of an engine for that to be the cause plus why build 2 Aircrafts (Kowsar & Yasin) the would be based off that engine if you had trouble producing it plus that's something you can simply take off current Iranian F-5's and it would still be worth it....

I really don't know what the problem is but clearly there is one!

Military is generally much further along than public sector.
Wrong. Generally speaking, the public sector creates the technology and the military adapt the technology to SPECIFIC needs.

Take low radar observable, aka 'stealth', for example. Is there a need in the civilian sector to have a civilian aircraft that is difficult to detect by radars? No, there is not. While radar avoidance is %90 a military practice, there are civilian situations where a structure needs to be radar transparent, such as a radome. It is rare that the military initiates a new technology. The current Internet came from DARPANET, a military need for robust communication. Most of what is casually called 'military technology' are just adaptations to meet military needs that have next to no civilian comparisons.

air force do not want f-5s, in the first place the whole rebuilding tiger clones was to achieve knowledge about forming an aviation industry. he said this too, rosub danesh!!!. the important part (for air force) is not the wooden chair or bench it's the wood crafting ability.
the satisfying part was the part that he said i myself visited euro fighter production line and ours is better equipped than that.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom