What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

They are more modern than a 1960’s F-5 or a 1970’s F-4.

SU-30 is a very modern plane. If you are expecting Russia or China to hand over 5th gen tech and latest in engine tech then keep dreaming.
still not modern at all, honnestly i doubt it to be as capable as old f-14 , the only modern Aircraft in that fmily is Su-35,Su-34 and proposed but not still delivered Su-30SM1/SMD

I like Iran's approached of concentrating more on missiles and not fighter jets. You do not necessarily need fighter jets to secure your air space but SAMs. Advances in air defense make these jet vulnerable. I am not sure the f-22 is safe in a contested air space. Missiles are cheaper than jets and more difficult to intercept.

still not modern at all, honnestly i doubt it to be as capable as old f-14 , the only modern Aircraft in that fmily is Su-35,Su-34 and proposed but not still delivered Su-30SM1/SMD

lol a SU-30 would win against an F-14 assuming both pilots are equally skilled. Plus SU-30 has much easier maintenance requirement. F-14 needs hours of maintenance per sortie. They will fall apart in a major air effort.

You just exposed yourself by calling a SU-35 modern and SU-30 “not modern at all”. The SU-35 is based on the SU-30.

It’s like saying S-300 is not modern, but S-400 is. Or saying F-110 is not a modern missile system, but Zolfghar is. It’s laughable.

SU-35 merely uses the latest in Russian electronics and subsystems. An SU-30 with a modernized block is perfectly fine for Iran.

SU-30 being the basis of a future Iranian interceptor is very much a better option than sitting around playing with a subsonic F-5. Iran doesn’t need bombers or CAS, it needs an interceptor and for that you need access to heavy class engines not the Owj.

You need to be able catch your opponents which is what made the F-14 so deadly in its time because it was the only fighter that could catch Soviet Migs routinely violating Iranian airspace. An F-5 will never ever be able to catch a F-35 or F-22 so stop playing around with useless toys.

As long as missions defined can be achieved by ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, Drones etc..Airforce will not be able to justify the required expenditure... Ain Assad was a good example 13 targets done... no aircraft lost... no pilot captured..end of story...If I was the fund manager for Iranian military I would have told the airforce chief to come up with a mission definition that Iran needs that can not be satisfied by what is currently in the inventory (public and not so public)..If he does not get the funds it is because he has not yet come up with that magic mission !!..

I listened to the interview with the head of the IRAF and he stated initially there was alot of resistance in the airforce when it came to the idea of using UAVs but that has now changed and they're working on UAVs, the upcoming Kaman-22 being one of them. I am rather sad to be honest, because I would have expected the air force to be the main branch in Iran pushing towards Stealth UCAVs with air to air capability. Lets hope they push for budget to develop these things. If we will not see an advanced manned plane any time soon, at least let them develop an advanced UCAV.

As long as missions defined can be achieved by ballistic missiles, cruise missiles, Drones etc..Airforce will not be able to justify the required expenditure... Ain Assad was a good example 13 targets done... no aircraft lost... no pilot captured..end of story...If I was the fund manager for Iranian military I would have told the airforce chief to come up with a mission definition that Iran needs that can not be satisfied by what is currently in the inventory (public and not so public)..If he does not get the funds it is because he has not yet come up with that magic mission !!..

Iran needs interceptors plain and simple. Bombers, AWACS, CAS, etc are all a luxury not needed right now. But interceptors are absolutely needed

Expecting 3 battalions of S-300 and less than 10 Battalions of Bavar-373 (optimistic guess given that Bavar-373 is not cheap) along with a hodgepodge of 3rd of Khorrdad and other similar family of medium range systems to hold back 150+ aircraft while at the same time defending against 100’s of cruise missiles is absurd.

You would put undue strain on The air defense systems. Not to mention the Tor M1 scenario showed that officers in Iran’s air defense field obviously don’t think the air defense shield is impenetrable.

If a moronic air defense officer thought a SINGLE cruise missile passed through Iran’s borders and into heart of Iran and made it ALL THE WAY TO the capital undetected then its clear there are exploitable holes if an officer could make such a deduction or he is simply moronic.

we will not see an advanced manned plane any time soon, at least let them develop an advanced UCAV.

It’s like saying you can’t develop a quantum computer, but let’s try to develop a dyson sphere. There is a fine line between optimism and ignorance.

If Iran cannot build a modern jet fighter what makes you think it can build a supersonic unmanned jet fighter? An unmanned jet fighter needs much more advanced sensors and avionics because it is now operating without the benefit of a live “brain” (human in the cockpit). It will need AI program as relying on human operator hundreds of KM away during war is a receipe for disaster. It works for current UAVs because they are used on insurgents and tactical strikes not in live air to air warfare.

Only country with a deployable unmanned supersonic fighter is China with its Darksword program.

close air support, suppressing enemy air defenses and air defense roles i think are the main fields that an AF is needed. the recent attack actually demonstrated that why you need an air force to, to finish off the job.

If Iran cannot build a modern jet fighter what makes you think it can build a supersonic unmanned jet fighter? .

Where in my comment did I say anything about supersonic UAVs? If you're going to quote me, don't resort to silly strawman arguments.

Close looks....

EKsdJaEXYAAi8cY.jpg

EKsdIgUX0AEbOsu.jpg

You just exposed yourself by calling a SU-35 modern and SU-30 “not modern at all”. The SU-35 is based on the SU-30.
Based on but different engine and different ,avionics and different material and different weapons and ....
It’s like saying S-300 is not modern, but S-400 is. Or saying F-110 is not a modern missile system, but Zolfghar is. It’s laughable.
Which version of S-300 and which iteration of S-400. And as a matter of fact yes there are different between capabilities of different missiles of fateh family

SU-35 merely uses the latest in Russian electronics and subsystems. An SU-30 with a modernized block is perfectly fine for Iran.
And as I said there is suggestions for that but there is not even a single working Su-30 with those upgrades.

SU-30 being the basis of a future Iranian interceptor is very much a better option than sitting around playing with a subsonic F-5. Iran doesn’t need bombers or CAS, it needs an interceptor and for that you need access to heavy class engines not the Owj.
Depends on what you want to do with your airforce.
You need to be able catch your opponents which is what made the F-14 so deadly in its time because it was the only fighter that could catch Soviet Migs routinely violating Iranian airspace. An F-5 will never ever be able to catch a F-35 or F-22 so stop playing around with useless toys.
As a matter of fact a su-30 also won't be able to do that.

lol a SU-30 would win against an F-14 assuming both pilots are equally skilled.
Let ask why . the same generation of fighters one is designed to be interceptor another designed as a multiple fighter.
If the mission is to bomb enemy or stay longer in the air yes . but if you are supposed to destroy enemy fighter then no . f-14 is far more maneuverable than a sukhoi .

If the mission is to bomb enemy or stay longer in the air yes . but if you are supposed to destroy enemy fighter then no . f-14 is far more maneuverable than a sukhoi .

Are you sure about this?
Don't forget that Sukhoi 30 and 35 have Thrust vectoring

Back
Top Bottom