What's new

IRIAF | News and Discussions

The F-4 and F-15 share no subsystems.

All our first F-14 pilots were trained at the US Navy Top Gun school. Training was not an issue.

The F-15A/C, even today, cannot carry guided weapons. Same case for the F-14A.

Do you know why all the bombing missions were given to the F-4? Because the F-14 was so valuable and capable that Iran didn't want to risk them in offensive operations! So they were only used to defend Iranian airspace.

And the "mini AWACS" thing is a myth. They were used in combat and even western scholars say they got 150+ kills.
isreal went for F15 .. but I know we had different needs they don't have our depth.

F 14s were designed to safeguard carriers and basically useless against ground targets.

Not entirely. I read that Tomcats were designed with some strike ability but, this was not used until the later stage of their service. There are some photos online of Iranian Tomcats with a rocket pod and bombs. American examples were used as bombers.

During war, all of bombing missions were given to F 4s and F 14s could only play the role of a mini AWACS nothing more, and no actual firepower was added to our air force by purchasing of F 14s. If Americans allow me to buy some jets, I would simply go for F 18 growler and super hornets instead of F 22s for obvious reasons.

Iranian F-14s achieved air-to-air kills in the Iran-Iraq war. That included use of Phoenix missiles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-14_Tomcat_operational_history#Iranian_service

Not entirely. I read that Tomcats were designed with some strike ability but, this was not used until the later stage of their service. There are some photos online of Iranian Tomcats with a rocket pod and bombs. American examples were used as bombers.

Iranian F-14s achieved air-to-air kills in the Iran-Iraq war. That included use of Phoenix missiles https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-14_Tomcat_operational_history#Iranian_service

Iranian F14 has no air to ground ability and even couldn't use free fall bombs ... later we add this ability to F14 but never used it till today ( except bombing some bridge in Turkey) ...

Who told you the choice was between 70 F-14s and 280 F-15s?

Do you think we could expect that in the 1970s?

Neither did the F-15A/C.

Implying we were going to have an F-15 production line?

The F-14 had a huge combat radius and was in the air for hours because of aerial refuelling tankers.

Of course because we couldn't keep them operational, because if you hadn't noticed we were under an international arms embargo!
clearly you didn't bother to watch the interview with general azarbarzin who was the the director of operations in the airforce, so I wont bother to answer to you either.

clearly you didn't bother to watch the interview with general azarbarzin who was the the director of operations in the airforce, so I wont bother to answer to you either.
didn't Iran has placed order another 80 of F14 that get cancelled after revolution ? so it will be 160 vs 280 if the report was true and also the options for more.
by the way do you think how many of those 280 airplanes would have reached us ?

Well lets clear one thing,f14 was selected because it outperformed f15 in every aspect,f15 was technologically far behind in that time.It was not random selection ,Iranians sow both presentation and they explore both solutions and f14 was logical choice considering Iran situation.
F15 could fire aim7 and aim9 and,both sidewinder and sparrow had better performance on f14(range and lock on perfomance).Radar on f14 is best radar ever produced, even today there si no aircraft with such perfomance.So even without Aim-54 F14 was better.If we add aim54 than it is clear choice.In terms of bvr f15 Iran could buy had almost same capabilities as f4 since they had same BVR weapons... Better radar could increase BVR capability but not that much and it was still less than F14 even withoit aim54.
Again f14 was so advance that even today there is nothing close to F14 performance.
Data link...can track 24 targets and engage 6 in same time...for comparatiom J10 can track 6-10(depending on version) and engage 2 in same time.This feature is what separate big boys from point defence fighters...when you have massive attack from air...only few f14 can engage 2 squadrons... Thus if you hide 2-4 migs behind it is scary combination..Now I didn't even mention Aim54, missle that prove itself capable at 5km and 190km range...I'm not sure everyone understand what f14 mean,it provides Iran with strategic capability at same way s-400 provides boost for air defence.
Ofcourse such complex system is expensive and f15 has own advantages but not in terms of combat performance and expecually in role it is used in Iran and primary role in Iran is air defense,for that role it is better option 3 times.
We are talking about f15 with air to air wepons same as f-4 and without multirole capability(no aim120,no smart ammunition) ...but again even by todays standard you will not find anything that will outperforme f14 air to air capabilities and in air defense role it is what is most important.
Downsides would be...price...no multirole capability which mean you have to maintain more different types of aircrafts and that is by definition very expensive...

IMG_20180415_022616_251.jpg
mhstq313-20180415-0002.jpg
mhstq313-20180415-0001.jpg

F-14 was chosen because Iran needed a fast interceptor to stop Soviet Union MIGS from continuously violating Iranian airspace.

F-14 was chosen because Iran needed a fast interceptor to stop Soviet Union MIGS from continuously violating Iranian airspace.

Also because the IIAF new that its ground based early warning system was insufficient in covering Iran's airspace effectively due to Iran's mountainous terrain. They liked the fact that the F-14s had a Powerful radar that aided with filling the gaps in the ground based radar coverage until a time when AWACS could be obtained.

Also because the IIAF new that its ground based early warning system was insufficient in covering Iran's airspace effectively due to Iran's mountainous terrain. They liked the fact that the F-14s had a Powerful radar that aided with filling the gaps in the ground based radar coverage until a time when AWACS could be obtained.
I think now a days, OTH radars can handle this terrain issue.

exact point, American chose F 14 to counter Soviet not Iran.
Iran, herself had more interest and need to F 15.

Back
Top Bottom