Iran's New Unmanned Bomber Drone 'Karrar' Unveiled

SpArK

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
Iran's New Unmanned Bomber Drone 'Karrar' Unveiled

160296342-792882.jpg

Livefist - The Best of Indian Defence: Iran's New Unmanned Bomber Drone 'Karrar' Unveiled

Iran unveils first indigenous drone

2010-08-22 16:30:00
Iran launched its first domestically-designed stealth unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) Sunday, Iranian news agency ISNA reported.

The drone, Karrar, was unveiled in a ceremony to mark the Defence Industry Day which was attended by President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad among others.

The first indigenous drone equipped with turbojet engine is able to fly in remote areas at high altitudes for a long time and carry out various military operations including surveillance and bombing.

Iranian Defence Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff of Iran's Armed Forces Hassan Firouzabadi and Iran's Minister of Communications and Information Technology, Reza Taqhipour, were also present at the ceremony.

Iran unveils first indigenous drone

Defense chief says Iran ready to export military equipment to 50 countries

Tehran Times Political Desk

TEHRAN – Defense Minister Ahmad Vahidi announced on Saturday that Iran is capable of exporting military equipment to 50 countries.

Now that Iran has become self-sufficient in manufacturing military equipment it can share its technical know-how with other countries and export its products to over 50 nations, Vahidi explained.

He also said one of Iran’s most important defense projects will be inaugurated in a ceremony today with the attendance of President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad.

The defense minister had previously announced that the third generation of Fateh (Conqueror) missiles will be tested on this day.

He also had said Iran will unveil its first domestically manufactured long-range unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV), called the Karrar on the same day.

On Friday, the Qiam 1 (Uprising) missile was successfully launched and hit the mock target.

“The Qiam 1 missile is a new generation of the Islamic Republic’s surface-to-surface missiles, which uses liquid fuel and was entirely manufactured inside the country,” Vahidi said in Tehran shortly after the test

tehran times : Defense chief says Iran ready to export military equipment to 50 countries

Iran unveils bomber drone: report
English.news.cn 2010-08-22 19:25:00 FeedbackPrintRSS

TEHRAN, Aug. 22 (Xinhua) -- Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Sunday unveiled a home-made unmanned long-range bomber drone, the state IRIB TV reported.

Ahmadinejad unveiled the drone, dubbed Karrar, in a ceremony marking the country's Defense Industry Day.

The 4-meter-long drone has a flight range of 1,000 km at a very high speed, the report said.

"This jet has mainly the message of peace, friendship and dignity for humanity," and "it is also the messenger of death for (Iran's) enemies," Ahmadinejad said at Tehran's Malek Ashtar university known for its military researches. :woot::woot::woot:

The drone is capable of carrying a military payload of rockets to carry out bombing missions against ground targets, the local satellite Press TV said.

Iranian Defense Minister Brigadier General Ahmad Vahidi said Friday that Iran has successfully test-fired a new surface-to- surface missile, Qiam, which has been equipped with new technical specifications and exceptional tactical powers.

In July, Head of Iran's Army Research Center Mohammad Sadri announced that Iran was intending to build new radar-evading drones that can be operated by its submarines.

In 2009, Iran's Air Force commander Brigadier General Hassan Shahsafi said that Iran had successfully tested its two home-made drones of 'Ra'd' (Thunder) and 'Nazir' (Harbinger) and mass production of the drones would begin soon.

Iran has reiterated that its military capability enhancements have defensive and peaceful purposes.

The United States and its allies have accused Iran of trying to develop nuclear weapons under the cover of civilian nuclear program.

Iran unveils bomber drone: report

Iran unveils 'ambassador of death' bomber
But unmanned aircraft has 'message of peace,' Pres. Ahmadinejad

.By NASSER KARIMI

TEHRAN, Iran — Iranian President Mahmoud Ahmadinejad on Sunday inaugurated the country's first domestically-built, long-range, unmanned bomber aircraft, calling it an "ambassador of death" to Iran's enemies.

Speaking to a group of officials Ahmadinejad said, "The jet, as well as being an ambassador of death for the enemies of humanity, has a main message of peace and friendship."

The goal of the aircraft is to "keep the enemy paralyzed in its bases," he said, adding that the jet is for deterrence and defensive purposes.

The president championed the country's military self-sufficiency program, and said it will continue "until the enemies of humanity lose hope of ever attacking the Iranian nation."

The 4-meter-long unmanned plane, dubbed the Karrar or striker in Farsi, was inaugurated on the national day for the country's defense industry in a ceremony aired live on state TV.

No details were provided on the craft's capabilities.

Iran has been producing its own light, unmanned surveillance aircraft since the late 1980s.
Iran unveils 'ambassador of death' bomber - World news - Mideast/N. Africa - Iran - msnbc.com

ya V1 lookalike....but how much does claims and performance tally??......if its like DRDO then i can bet that thing cant fly more than the distance of a paper plane made by me....

It's not the flying part that's problematic - it's the sensor suite and fire control.

Iran is making progress in building more weapons with so many multi-layered sanctions. While Pakistan relies on China to give it the technology. It is about time that Pakistan develops more indigenous defense industry and scientists to design weapons.

Karrar is an Arabic word and refers to a combatant who attacks but does not flee. As such, it is also an honorary title. For instance, Imam Ali ('a) ebn Abu Talib was named Haider-e-Karrar (Haider is another word meaning lion in Arabic) by our last Prophet ('s).

Also, how is the above drone anything like the German V-1 crude cruise missile as many posters have stated? It is a remote-controlled jet-powered drone designed to carry an external payload of armaments and not an expendable cruise missile with an internal payload, such as the old V-1. Iran does manufacture cruise missiles already (such as the Nour and Nasr).

Iranian media and spokespersons are naming it as a jet combat drone. It's actually pretty impressive considering it's range of operations of 1000 km at about 900-1,000 km/s carrying 500 lbs of smart bombs/ missiles. A close counter-part is the American MQ-1C Warrior which has a maximum speed of 250 km/s and 400 lbs payload. The media reported that it can carry two bombs of each 250 lbs each or four cruise missiles.

Using the rocket-powered launch system and chute recovery, the mission turnaround time will be excessively high. On the other hand, it's a lot cheaper to build than a conventional strike aircraft. One has to wonder, though, whether it's actual effectiveness in combat is worth the resources (including developmental costs), compared to proven CM and AShM designs.

Also, what sets it apart is the internal configuration and the intended role. Otherwise, looking at those close-up images of this new drone, what immediately comes to mind is, cruise missile. Considering its size, possible power-plant (which I am guessing is a modification of the Iranian Toloue mini-jet), and overall design I think this could be very easily converted to a LACM with little trouble. Its not as streamlined or compact as a Tomahawk but it still could be a very effective LACM with the right guidance package.

Lastly, the range is possible of course but Iranian UAVs do not utilize SATCOM. The longest range UAV without SATCOM I knew of, before this drone, was the Chinese ASN-207 which has an operating range of 600 km. I would deem SATCOM almost certainly necessary for such a range. Physically its obviously possible for the drone to be able to achieve that range, but thats why target drones' range is referred to as endurance not range because they are designed to loiter over an area and not just travel in the straight line. However, if this drone is meant to come back to base, than it could very well have a range of 1000km but its Combat Radius is likely less than half that (400-500km). Range and Combat Radius are very distinct things when discussing combat aircraft so the 1000 km is certainly plausible. These are my own opinions though only. As for the speed, supersonic speed for such aircraft doesn't really serve them well since its just wastes fuel and shortens range which is why most traditional long range cruise missiles are either Hypersonic or subsonic. Perhaps there is more to it but we are not going to know for quiet some time.

207624-337746.jpg

207624-337748.jpg

207624-337752.jpg

207624-337742.jpg

565635_orig.jpg

565687_orig.jpg

As to the bomb carried on this drone, I would guess its a Mark 81 or 82. However there doesn't appear to be any optics or way to guide a bomb properly but than again this is just a mock-up for display.

Video:

Last edited by a moderator:
guys i talked to a friend in iran and he told me that the ting is actually a more modren version based on v1 he told me it is not radio controlled but like v1 it is programmed to travell to enemy and drop bombs in a pre programmed rute ...actually he said the problem is that americans have very powerful signal jamming technology and iran havent achived that height in technology thus no signal at all to jamm ..i think its ingenious ho a simple method can defeat heightech problems...

Also, how is the above drone anything like the German V-1 crude cruise missile as many posters have stated? It is a remote-controlled jet-powered drone designed to carry an external payload of armaments and not an expendable cruise missile with an internal payload, such as the old V-1.
I cant see neither FLIR, nor satelite link on it. I very doubt it has TERCOM like Tomahawk. So this thing will fly at high altitude on preprogrammed route.

Iran is making progress in building more weapons with so many multi-layered sanctions. While Pakistan relies on China to give it the technology. It is about time that Pakistan develops more indigenous defense industry and scientists to design weapons.
agar is qoam pe na-ehal hukamraanu ka azab mustaqil raha to never expect friend.
Ye wo log hain jo mang kar mulk k lia laaty hain or pait khud ka bharty hain. Kabr nay agar inko tasleem kar hi lia to ye wahan kafan k siwa kuch nahi lay kar jain gy... KITNY KAM AQAL LOG HAIN...............

Back
Top Bottom