What's new

Iranian Space program

don't knew the best they have is Zo-al-Jinah and that rated for around 200kg to leo.
simorgh is 250kg to 500km and 800kg to 200km so it depend if they can fix the problem with simorgh second stage or change it to for example 100kg to 500km and 500kg to 200km

Simorgh is done (failed SLV). Hence why they moved to Zoljanah. Next step for ISA is Sarir and then hopefully Soroush by 2026-2027 (optimistic). Lastly will be Soroush-2 using cryogenic engines for 1st and 2nd stage including the “Bahman” engine.

Sarir is a follow up on Simorgh design. Same first stage (Shahab clusters), but they remodeled the second stage to be longer and stronger.

1660408826616.jpeg

that we don\t knew exactly for what purpose they want to use it , but you must consider the fact that all the SLV of space agency are delivered by defense ministry , they don't make their own SLV

IRGC is going solid fuel route using the latest tech.

ISA is going liquid/solid route using whatever IRGC declassifies to be shared/delivered to ISA and it’s den of spies.

Last edited:
if you think so , but there is a rason that everybody use liquid fuel slv

IRGC isn’t sending humans to space. So it doesn’t need benefits of liquid fuel shutoff emergency system. Solid is also dangerous manufacturing during transport and many civilian companies don’t want that liability hence why liquid dominates civilian sector.

IRGC will want to have its own medium lift SLV in case you get another anti space government like Rouhani government was. IRGC engineers have largely moved away from liquid design in past decade. Most their engineers are well versed on solid fuel engines now.

In Jeffrey Lewis from Arm Wonks opinion, eventually IRGC will stop building SLVs after they reach GEO capability and let ISA handle the rest.

In my opinion, IRGC will likely send future sensitive military projects and sats on its own SLVs. This will keep ISA somewhat independent civilian sector focused and hopefully not a sanctionable entity.

IRGC isn’t sending humans to space. So it doesn’t need benefits of liquid fuel shutoff emergency system. Solid is also dangerous manufacturing during transport and many civilian companies don’t want that liability hence why liquid dominates civilian sector.

IRGC will want to have its own medium lift SLV in case you get another anti space government like Rouhani government was. IRGC engineers have largely moved away from liquid design in past decade. Most their engineers are well versed on solid fuel engines now.

In Jeffrey Lewis from Arm Wonks opinion, eventually IRGC will stop building SLVs after they reach GEO capability and let ISA handle the rest.

In my opinion, IRGC will likely send future sensitive military projects and sats on its own SLVs. This will keep ISA somewhat independent civilian sector focused and hopefully not a sanctionable entity.
you see that geo stationary orbit is not medium lift and don't have that much use for military , more useful for civillian sector .
by what i see solid fuel slv is good for when you have a network of sats and for some reason one in that network is lost and you want to put another one up ASAP . you pull out a missile out of storage put a sat on its nose and launch it.
and honestly doubt if a full solid fuel missile can launch a sattellite like kanopus V for example to GEO
its a list ofsolid fuel SLV , the heaviest is Minotaur V that at best could put a 500kg sat into GTO or TLI . it was a 2.34x24.56m SLV and it was only used once another even bigger was also made , that was called M-V which was capable of putting 1800kg sat to an orbit of 250km it was 30.7m long and had a diameter of 2.5m the best it could achieve was an orbit of 290km x 720km.

non of such slv were capable of MEO

Does anyone know how ‘Khayyam’ was chosen as a name? There are two possible answers that I know of but thought I’d keep to myself for fun. The poet is one. The other which is possibly more pertinent (hint!)?

Does anyone know how ‘Khayyam’ was chosen as a name? There are two possible answers that I know of but thought I’d keep to myself for fun. The poet is one. The other which is possibly more pertinent (hint!)?
so what is it...I give up..lol

Haha! The Arabic root ‘ فعل’ of Khayyam is ‘kheym’ . Eg ‘kheymeh’ (‘فعله’) becomes ‘tent’. Similarly an active derivative of the root is ‘فعال’ which becomes ‘خیام’ —‘tent maker’ (‘Khayyam’). So the satellite name strictly is ‘tent maker’ which can be considered a nuanced double entendre. Now that doesn’t mean the name was chosen because of this but I won’t be surprised if it was.

Note also that Omar Khayyam wasn’t his real name. Excerpt from wiki:

Omar Khayyam was born, of Khorasani Persianancestry, in Nishapur in 1048.[9][10][11][12][13] In medieval Persian texts he is usually simply called Omar Khayyam.[14] Although open to doubt, it has often been assumed that his forebears followed the trade of tent-making, since Khayyam means tent-maker in Arabic.

Source:

Last edited:
Hakim Omar Khayyam (for those non-Iranians who do not know the history) was (is) a famous Persian polymath scientist and scholar (11th Century) with his great contributions to astronomy, astrology, philosophy, history, mathematics, ......, and the last but not the least poetry.

President Putin's interest in poetry may not be widely known to public in general but he has spoken of his love to Hakim Khayyam's ruba'iyat in several interviews. He loves it so much so that, apparently, he has memorised and knows it all by heart!

So, to answer your question, the choice of the name Khayyam for the satellite, more likely, could have been stemmed from a suggestion by Russian or Iranian sides to honour his work and contributions to astronomy, astrology, and science in general.

Last edited:
Hakim Omar Khayyam (for those non-Iranians who do not know the history) was (is) a famous Persian polymath scientist and scholar (11th Century) with his great contributions to astronomy, astrology, philosophy, history, mathematics, ......, and the last but not the least poetry.

President Putin's interest in poetry may not be widely known to public in general but he has spoken of his love to Hakim Khayyam's ruba'iyat in several interviews. He loves it so much so that, apparently, he has memorised and knows it all by heart!

So, to answer your question, the choice of the name Khayyam for the satellite, more likely, could have been stemmed from a suggestion by Russian or Iranian sides to honour his work and contributions to astronomy, astrology, and science in general.
Are you Yashar Kazemzadeh, by any chance?

Some dates to remember!:undecided::undecided:
  • Iran to launch 500-kg satellites into Leo orbit with domestic SLV in 4 years (2026)
  • 200-kilogram satellite next year (2023)

Some dates to remember!:undecided::undecided:
  • Iran to launch 500-kg satellites into Leo orbit with domestic SLV in 4 years (2026)
  • 200-kilogram satellite next year (2023)
It seems GEO orbit is still around 15-20 years away...oh well, you have to learn to walk before you can run.

Back
Top Bottom