What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

They showed this in 2016:

He's not commander of the navy anymore.

your right.. he was officially replaced couple of months ago. looks like the khoramshar war hero's reputation just escaped this tragedy..

though he was still the navy commander for a long time right up to this incident, and still appears active. still would have liked to hear from him.

That's the old AK-230. The one Iran is developing is a copy of the AK-630.

yes older system of the AK-630, it differs also for the type of ammunition AK-630 30mmx165, AK-230 30mmx210B , but still capable of a rate of fire over 1,000 rounds per minute cyclic
http://www.navweaps.com/Weapons/WNRussian_30mm-63_ak-230.php

from left to right 30 x 165, 30 x 210B
3036_77_249-bofors-type.jpg

Iran to Unveil New Submarine

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iran’s Navy is going to unveil a new homegrown submarine in coming days, Navy Commander Rear Admiral Hossein Khanzadi said.

Speaking to reporters on Sunday, the top commander said the new watercraft will be the last one of midget-class submarines at the Navy’s disposal.

The Iranian Navy will begin to receive a new generation of submarines as of next year, he added.

Rear Admiral Khanzadi also said that a military vessel of Jamaran-class destroyers will join the southern fleet in the current Iranian year, which will end on March 20.

Iran’s Navy is in charge of protecting Iran’s southern territorial waters in the Sea of Oman, while the Islamic Revolution Guards Corps (IRGC) is tasked with ensuring security of the Persian Gulf.

In recent years, Iran’s Navy has made great advances in making homegrown equipment and has increased its presence in high seas to secure naval routes and protect vessels against pirate attacks.

In November 2017, Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei called for the expansion of the Navy’s capabilities by making use of the country’s advances in other sectors.

The Navy should enhance its capabilities both in terms of military gear and combat power, Ayatollah Khamenei said at the time.

Iran Navy to Arm Vessels with Point-Defense System

TEHRAN (Tasnim) – Iran’s Navy is going to equip its vessels with a point-defense weapon system that has passed all tests, a military official said.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Rear Admiral Ali Kaviani, a lieutenant commander of the Navy, said naval vessels will be equipped with “Kamand” point-defense weapon system.

According to the commander, the system has passed all tests on the ground and in the sea, and will be installed on the Navy’s vessels by the end of the current Iranian year (March 20).

In recent years, Iran’s Navy has made great advances in making homegrown equipment and has increased its presence in high seas to secure naval routes and protect vessels against pirate attacks.

The Navy dispatches flotillas, involving homegrown naval gear, to international waters on a routine basis.

In November 2017, Leader of the Islamic Revolution Ayatollah Seyed Ali Khamenei called for the expansion of the Navy’s capabilities by making use of the country’s advances in other sectors.

The Navy should enhance its capabilities both in terms of military gear and combat power, Ayatollah Khamenei said at the time.

[QUOTE = "N_Al40, post: 10264493, membro: 187404"] ........
Rear Admiral Khanzadi also said that a military vessel of *Jamaran-class destroyers will join the southern fleet in the current Iranian year, which will end on March 20.

Speaking to reporters on Wednesday, Rear Admiral Ali Kaviani, a lieutenant commander of the Navy, said naval vessels will be equipped with “Kamand” point-defense weapon system.

According to the commander, the system has passed all tests on the ground and in the sea, and will be installed on the Navy’s vessels by the end of the current Iranian year (March 20).

[/CITAZIONE]

it seems that the vessel Jamaran class vessel (Sahand), that the system "Kamand" point-defense weapon system. will be operational by March 20.
this leads me to think that the Sahand will have at its disposal the new point-defense weapon system

does that mean the Damavand will be relaunched?

makes one wonder if its worth it to waste the resources on it at this point if the Navy is not competent enough to operate it. Its amazing to me that habibollah sayarri hasn't said anything or taken this seriously ...

i actually really liked the guy, but Naval commanders who lose their biggest ship to incompetence should be held accountable. especially if lives are lost.

also this incident erodes some confidence in a project like this. You have a large ship, that's more liability than asset in a shooting war without proper air protection and older systems. And you add crew incompetence on top of that?

the money might be better spent on small missile boats and subs.

What do you think is the range on an Iranian Fast attack craft & Missile boat?

Maybe Iran should stop having a civilian Naval industry as well! Maybe we should stop our shipping industry as well!

The reason Iran today is capable of building large cargo vessels & tankers is directly because Iran's Navy choose to build larger vessels that developed the human resources, tools and various industries necessary to build larger vessels!

So saying Iran's Navy doesn't need larger vessels is roots directly in ignorance!

The various weapons a country builds isn't always about the weapons! For example if IRIAF like Iran's Navy had truly put it's resources towards producing a fighter like the F-14 today Iran would have the human resources, tools, facilities and industries required behind it to build it's own civilian passenger airliners.

So saying absurd nonsense comments like we don't need to build large ships or fighter jets is rooted in ignorance and lack of knowledge about how the world works!

If anything Iran's Navy should be building larger ships with bigger engines and more advanced components and it should be Iran's Navy that spearheads progress in the countries naval industry!

What do you think is the range on an Iranian Fast attack craft & Missile boat?

Maybe Iran should stop having a civilian Naval industry as well! Maybe we should stop our shipping industry as well!

The reason Iran today is capable of building large cargo vessels & tankers is directly because Iran's Navy choose to build larger vessels that developed the human resources, tools and various industries necessary to build larger vessels!

So saying Iran's Navy doesn't need larger vessels is roots directly in ignorance!

The various weapons a country builds isn't always about the weapons! For example if IRIAF like Iran's Navy had truly put it's resources towards producing a fighter like the F-14 today Iran would have the human resources, tools, facilities and industries required behind it to build it's own civilian passenger airliners.

So saying absurd nonsense comments like we don't need to build large ships or fighter jets is rooted in ignorance and lack of knowledge about how the world works!

If anything Iran's Navy should be building larger ships with bigger engines and more advanced components and it should be Iran's Navy that spearheads progress in the countries naval industry!

im actually not against iran building bigger vessels.. I was personally for this program before this incident.

Im definitely not a naval warfare expert, but one doesn't need to be one to see these class of ships have serious survivability issues.

you talk of range as if they have practical military purpose in a shooting war? please tell me how they would be utilized in a shooting war.? In the Caspian sea the likeliest action the Damavand would see would be a war with Azerbaijan. In such a scenario, Iranian commanders would need to find a place to hide the Damavand.

as it would be a number 1 (relatively easy) target for the azeris if it came out. Its loss would be a huge hit to morale and prestige for iran (and accordingly a massive boost for the azeris). and would force iran into massively escalating to restore lost prestige and save face. the pressure on the government for a massive war after that would be almost impossible to ignore.

Does that sound like a wartime asset to you?

while I doubt iranian ship building industry is looking for my opinion, I had personally supported the progam before based on national prestige and supporting local large ship building industry. But if the crews aren't competent enough to operate large ships. that should be the deciding factor right there. Then the pros and cons of building start getting stacked against it.

the reason I mentioned small missile boats and subs was because of the IRGC doctrine. Every single one of their vessels have a practical purpose, they are built for a specific and very important mission, and are a force to be reckoned with. the Iranian navy looks like a micky mouse navy by every standard you look at it. The fact that they don't even try hard enough to build a functioning ciws before big ships should be a huge tell in itself.

Last edited:
im actually not against iran building bigger vessels.. I was personally for this program before this incident.

Im definitely not a naval warfare expert, but one doesn't need to be one to see these class of ships have serious survivability issues.

you talk of range as if they have practical military purpose in a shooting war? please tell me how they would be utilized in a shooting war.? In the Caspian sea the likeliest action the Damavand would see would be a war with Azerbaijan. In such a scenario, Iranian commanders would need to find a place to hide the Damavand.

as it would be a number 1 (relatively easy) target for the azeris if it came out. Its loss would be a huge hit to morale and prestige for iran (and accordingly a massive boost for the azeris). and would force iran into massively escalating to restore lost prestige and save face. the pressure on the government for a massive war after that would be almost impossible to ignore.

Does that sound like a wartime asset to you?

while I doubt iranian ship building industry is looking for my opinion, I had personally supported the progam before based on national prestige and supporting local large ship building industry. But if the crews aren't competent enough to operate large ships. that should be the deciding factor right there. Then the pros and cons of building start getting stacked against it.

the reason I mentioned small missile boats and subs was because of the IRGC doctrine. Every single one of their vessels have a practical purpose, they are built for a specific and very important mission, and are a force to be reckoned with. the Iranian navy looks like a micky mouse navy by every standard you look at it. The fact that they don't even try hard enough to build a functioning ciws before big ships should be a huge tell in itself.

As you say, large ships are useless unless equipped with VLS and Point defense systems, otherwise, these are floating coffins.

Iran badly needs to expand the Konarak/Chabahar Naval base
Jamming your military vessels next to each other like that greatly reduces their survivability in a surprise attack & greatly compromises their deployment time
View attachment 454081

And they put Sahand in a portable Dry-dock hope all is ok

View attachment 454084

Looks like Sahand was moved in order to make space for an Alvand class frigate to be overhauled. It is most likely a standard overhaul, but there is a (IMHO, small) possibility it is to be fitted with the Kamand CIWS.

Looks like Sahand was moved in order to make space for an Alvand class frigate to be overhauled. It is most likely a standard overhaul, but there is a (IMHO, small) possibility it is to be fitted with the Kamand CIWS.

upload_2018-2-20_11-53-17.png

They were in no rush to put the Alvand there & they have facilities at ISOICO that could have upgraded the Alvand with a new CIWS

And it makes no sense to go through the trouble of moving a ship that's almost complete from a dock unless you wanted to conduct some tests on it!

And the last ship that was in that portable dry dock is that support vessel in the right corner of the picture that aside from upgrades got a new paint job so we'll see....

Iran's government doesn't seem to comprehend that whatever we build for our military in the next 20 years will be the backbone of Iran's military for at least the next 50 years!

In 20-30 years time vast majority of Iran's population will be over 60 years of age and we WILL NOT have the manpower and the workforce necessary to make major changes to our military using our own defense industry after!

During the next 20 years rather than keeping money in banks Iran needs to use that money and it's current work force to take on and invest in large military and duel use civilian projects and the time for Overhauling old weapons has long past because if Iran doesn't build up it's military with NEW platforms and weapons systems in the next 2 decades it will be our future generations that will suffer for it!

I was hoping that the Rohani administration would act more like the Khatami administration in the rate of progress in the defense sector but sadly the Rohani administration seems to be clueless!

I thought I had uploaded a screenshot, but evidently not. Well, here it is.

upload_2018-2-20_17-45-50.png

old satellite photos, or they have now landed the Fath-40 mm

Could it be that they want to install CIWS on this one? Deck of Jamaran class ships is too crowded for anything to be added. Not without removing something first. Removing Fath-40 is a logical choice.

Could it be that they want to install CIWS on this one? Deck of Jamaran class ships is too crowded for anything to be added. Not without removing something first. Removing Fath-40 is a logical choice.
I hope they are not going to salvage those Fath-40 for other projects if it was to me I would have thrown them overboard .
Those cannon even are not fit for naval base and shore defense.

Last edited:
I hope they are not going to salvage those Fath-40 for other projects if it was to me I would have thrown them overboard .
Those cannon even are not feet for naval base and shore defense.
It might have some use for anti-piracy missions. But obviously, if it takes the space of an important system like a CIWS, and can't be mounted anywhere else, obviously I'd choose the CIWS. Iran can fit 2 CIWS on these ships, on the front and back in place of the 20 mm and 40 mm guns.

Back
Top Bottom