What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

before the end of this (Persian) year

They say that way too much for me to believe them.

my money is likely either on a re-engineered and modernised soviet navy ak630 or the dprk navy 30mm equivalent,but then again I think it could be just as likely that we see something totally new and unique.

Cqtg_InW8AA7z39.jpg:large

Iran badly needs to expand the Konarak/Chabahar Naval base
Jamming your military vessels next to each other like that greatly reduces their survivability in a surprise attack & greatly compromises their deployment time

View attachment 454084

Holy shit seriously, one bomb and that fleet is wiped out.

Anymore updates on the Damavand? one of the prides of irans navy just sank with 4 lives lost because of what looks to be sheer incompetence.. where is the investigation? why are heads not rolling?

One thing I admire about western oriented cultures is their ability to learn from their mistakes. Something like this would be thoroughly investigated. all decision makers, navy culture, every top officer would be under the microscope. and eventually the chain of causes responsible would be discovered, and new procdures adopted to prevent a future disaster like this.

I REALLY hope they wont go down the "shit happens, inshallah it wont happen again" route on this. The people responsible must pay with their careers at a minimum, and changes must be made to address those short comings.

Anymore updates on the Damavand? one of the prides of irans navy just sank with 4 lives lost because of what looks to be sheer incompetence.. where is the investigation? why are heads not rolling?

One thing I admire about western oriented cultures is their ability to learn from their mistakes. Something like this would be thoroughly investigated. all decision makers, navy culture, every top officer would be under the microscope. and eventually the chain of causes responsible would be discovered, and new procdures adopted to prevent a future disaster like this.

I REALLY hope they wont go down the "shit happens, inshallah it wont happen again" route on this. The people responsible must pay with their careers at a minimum, and changes must be made to address those short comings.
They cut the ship to smaller peaces and sent them for repair and rejoin.

And they put Sahand in a portable Dry-dock hope all is ok
I may be wrong but it looks like only the missiles systems and smaller caliber guns are left to be added. But I can't think why they needed to put it in a portable dry dock.

One can only hope they are right and the CIWS will be mounted on Sahand soon, before it is launched...

Iran badly needs to expand the Konarak/Chabahar Naval base
Jamming your military vessels next to each other like that greatly reduces their survivability in a surprise attack & greatly compromises their deployment time
View attachment 454081

And they put Sahand in a portable Dry-dock hope all is ok

View attachment 454084
They should keep every ships separate from one another so that can be leave port in a short notice. Besides, it would be great to make shades to keep them off the eyes of enemy satellite and difficult to target specific target. It is utter negligency to keep ships like the picture cramped together.

I may be wrong but it looks like only the missiles systems and smaller caliber guns are left to be added. But I can't think why they needed to put it in a portable dry dock.

One can only hope they are right and the CIWS will be mounted on Sahand soon, before it is launched...

There are two possibilities I can think of one is they had problems during initial testing and the other is that it passed all it's initial test and now they are installing the smaller components & weapons and getting ready to paint it!
But well see if they start paining it that's a good sign!

That's the old AK-230. The one Iran is developing is a copy of the AK-630.
Doubt it . the best gatling guns we have produced are Nasr and Asefeh
Nasr is a 6 barreled 12.7mm gun and Asefeh is a three barreled 23mm gun.
I think have heard sometimes ago something inline of vulkan cannon which is 6 barreled 20mm gun .
Never heard anything about a 6 barreled 30mm gun and I won't recall we ever showed such system.

Also don't forget in 2014 when they showed Asefeh they told they want to use it in CIWS systems for navy. And I guess its 23x152 ammo will provide enough range and punch for the task.

https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/irans-23-mm-gatling-gun-emerges-from-the-shadows.336760/

Last edited:
They cut the ship to smaller peaces and sent them for repair and rejoin.

does that mean the Damavand will be relaunched?

makes one wonder if its worth it to waste the resources on it at this point if the Navy is not competent enough to operate it. Its amazing to me that habibollah sayarri hasn't said anything or taken this seriously ...

i actually really liked the guy, but Naval commanders who lose their biggest ship to incompetence should be held accountable. especially if lives are lost.

also this incident erodes some confidence in a project like this. You have a large ship, that's more liability than asset in a shooting war without proper air protection and older systems. And you add crew incompetence on top of that?

the money might be better spent on small missile boats and subs.

They should keep every ships separate from one another so that can be leave port in a short notice. Besides, it would be great to make shades to keep them off the eyes of enemy satellite and difficult to target specific target. It is utter negligency to keep ships like the picture cramped together.

Storing your ships like that is not only negligent but it's bordering on treachery.

These are weapons of war that store both fuel and weapons and if you don't store them properly during peace time they wont survive an initial attack for you to have the ability to use them during war time.

Every country even the U.S. is limited in the number of targets they can hit in an initial attack and stored like this 2 fighter jets or 8-12 cruise missiles can easily disable all ~30 vessel & subs you have at that base so storing your naval assets like that is beyond negligent

If Iran is going to keep the vast majority of it's Naval vessels docked then the least they can do is make sure each Iranian Naval vessel over 200 tones has it's own designated dock or is docked with enough distance with the ship docked next to it that if "hit" it wouldn't compromise or restrict accessibility to the ship(s) docked next to it!

At the very least park them like this:

Never heard anything about a 6 barreled 30mm gun and I won't recall we ever showed such system.

They showed this in 2016:

Cqtg_InW8AA7z39.jpg:large

i actually really liked the guy, but Naval commanders who lose their biggest ship to incompetence should be held accountable. especially if lives are lost.

He's not commander of the navy anymore.

Back
Top Bottom