What's new

Iranian Navy | News and Discussions

thanks for the link, very informative.
Fateh was already declassified some years ago, I thought this is a other sub...

Thanks for the info bro but I know all of it! I was talking about Iran show casing it's new toy's not the toys themselves but thanks!

Wow about time, took years just to build one submarine. Hopefully, they understood the errors they made and speed up production and stop delays. No more of this cheap material garbage.

do we know what "cheap material" they used for the Fateh hull and which they use now?
what is the standard material for such subs? aluminium?
titan is for sure to expensive for Iran and I think they also dont have the technology for it...

do we know what "cheap material" they used for the Fateh hull and which they use now?
titan is for sure to expensive for Iran and I think they also dont have the technology for it...

The technology has been there for years it's the process that's expensive You have to turn sand into gas and gas into an alloy and if you can enrich uranium you can most definitely produce titanium using far less sophisticated equipment!
what you see below is one of the parts in the process required in producing titanium

And using Titanium Hall for a Sub would be too expensive maybe for an UUV specifically made for deep depths...

upload_2017-8-14_18-43-10.png

All alloys come in different grades so it was either the thickness or grade of steel used that was not sufficient.

I believe they tried to make it lighter than it should have been! Regardless, in R&D you never fail you just learn how not to do a thing!

As for why it took so long it's because you need to spend as much time testing it as you do building it & with a new design calibrating your instruments, weapons systems, sensors and putting red lines on the limits, find the flaws, fix the flaws,... all this takes time

The standard materiel used in submarine hulls is usually high strength steel but this boat is a coastal type and would generally operate in shallower waters.Titanium is expensive and used to be rather difficult to work with back in the early days of mig/tig welding but is unnecessary for a boat of this type that would mainly be operating in shallow waters.It would seem based on the very long time that it has taken to finally announce the induction of the boat into the navy that there had to be some very major problems with either the design or materiels used in the boat,but this was the first large sub that iran had designed from the ground up so problems should not be a surprise and hopefully iran learnt enough lessons from this that the larger 1000/1500 ton boat wont have as many problems[fingers crossed!].

Last edited:
@VEVAK

View attachment 418656

View attachment 418658

So 140 ft x 14 ft (aka 42 metres x 4.2 metres).

It's 145ft x ~14

But I think Iran should have gone for something a bit bigger for production 200ft x 20 ft I believe is the perfect size for subs something similar to the Sinpo class & Type 209, 212 & 214

Fatteh is similar in length and beam to the German type 205 & the Germans moved on to the 206 that's a bit bigger and then the 209 which they built over 60 of

I think Iran should take a lesson from that and move on to mass production of something a bit bigger & stronger that's a force multiplier!

I think building larger subs should be number 1 on the to do list for Iran's Navy at a minimum rate of 1 per year if your going to stick with the Fatteh Class

It's 145ft x ~14

But I think Iran should have gone for something a bit bigger for production 200ft x 20 ft I believe is the perfect size for subs something similar to the Sinpo class & Type 209, 212 & 214

Fatteh is similar in length and beam to the German type 205 & the Germans moved on to the 206 that's a bit bigger and then the 209 which they built over 60 of

I think Iran should take a lesson from that and move on to mass production of something a bit bigger & stronger that's a force multiplier!

I think building larger subs should be number 1 on the to do list for Iran's Navy at a minimum rate of 1 per year if your going to stick with the Fatteh Class

Bigger subs are a good idea from a firepower and endurance standpoint, but we also have to remember that the Persian Gulf is primarily a shallow area and very large subs can't operate there, though they would do well in the Gulf of Oman. Iran should also pursue qualitative improvements like AIP.

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom