What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

تاریخ خبر 12 اسفندماه سال اخیره. حدود 6 ماه پیش

Here's the link to the page, brother:
Thanks. I meant whether the relief was created pre or post revolution?

Thanks. I meant whether the relief was created pre or post revolution?

Sorry for the misunderstanding. I admit this one goes way beyond my knowledge... The Imam Ali (as) Officer's University was established in 1921 but I have no information on when the relief was created.

1631129178858.png

Take the MRAP out of the picture and suddenly you can’t tell if picture is from 2021 or 1980 Iran-Iraq war

This variant of the T-72 tank was not around in the region in 1980. Iraq's versions were T-72 Urals and exports variants of the T-72A whereas Iran is fielding the exports variant of the T-72B, which is superior. Also, 42 countries are still operating the T-72 today including Russia itself. Only 11 have retired it from service.

This variant of the T-72 tank was not around in the region in 1980. Iraq's versions were T-72 Urals and exports variants of the T-72A whereas Iran is fielding the exports variant of the T-72B, which is superior. Also, 42 countries are still operating the T-72 today including Russia itself. Only 11 have retired it from service.

T-72B (S) is a late 80's tank and at that time it was the heaviest armored tank in the world.

But ok, bringing them to Karrar or IRGC-upgrade level is a good idea, that heavy ERA will break U.S long rods

Take the MRAP out of the picture and suddenly you can’t tell if picture is from 2021 or 1980 Iran-Iraq war
Iran did not have T-72S MBT,BMP-2 IFV, 2S1 SPH, Boraq APC or Boraq 120mm Self propelled Mortar carrier during the war. The only vehicle here that dates back to the Iran Iraq war is the M-113!

Last edited:
Impressed by how much you all know about tanks. I don't know jack about tanks, and never really studied them.

I do have a question for whoever has time to answer it (hope it is not a dumb question), and I thank you in advance for the answer.

The U.S. Abram tanks have gas turbine engines (I've seen one actually working after repair). These 1500ish HP upside down turbines were running in a somewhat closed factory space and yet there was no smoke coming out whatsoever, and the engineers working on it told me that "this bugger runs on all kinds of fuel, even water". Assuming the water was a joke, it is impressive for such a light engine to deliver so much power and yet with so much fuel flexibility, and smokeless.

My question (as dumb as it may sound) ...

why not have 4 engines (450hp each) that are Euro 6, very efficient. smokeless, using gasoline which Iran has plenty of, and have each of these connected to a 3-wheeled track, 4 of these with a gap between the front and the rear track and this gap can be used as a escape hatch in case of direct hit ???

The tank can still move if one 3-wheeled track on each side is broken (front or rear), and there is less stress on the track since it is shorter (on 3 wheels rather than 6 or 7), less chance of snapping or breaking, or is my question just really nonsense? please be honest, that is how I learn about a subject I know nothing about.

Tanks do have smoke flares to hide from optics but is this smoke good for foot soldiers (infantry) that are often walking behind or around the tank?

Thanks in advance.

Literally every piece of equipment except for the M-113 APC you see in these pictures was procured in the 1990s or after!

Procured and when they entered production are two different things.

Well it's understandable, missiles and drones are Iran's strength

No, it’s because Iran doesn’t have the luxury to upgrade its mechanized armour. Such a low priority item because the threat land invasion is so low in next 10 years that it’s better to invest those funds into “deterrence systems”.

If Iran had the military to GDP ratio budget of let’s say a China or Saudi Arabia than it would certainly move to upgrade mechanized armour. But again super low priority at this time.

What are you talking about ? Those T-72's were bought in the early 2000's and have reactive armor.

Also as we saw in Afghanistan, the most important thing is motivation and determination, not weapons. A bunch of Taliban on bicycles, honda accords and some Toyota trucks (unarmored) took over Afghanistan. The Afghan security forces had armored Humvees, better more reliable firearms, an airforce, but they failed miserably because they all wanted to run away and were disorganized with no leadership.

At the end of the day, Iran's military would still steamroll or check any neighbor. You have to take everything into consideration. The airforce, special forces, missiles, drones, cyber army, defensive weapons. All together Iranian military are more concerned about investing in practical weapons that deter the enemy, not hype.

Last edited:
Well the Saudis have excellent weapons but look at their embaressing performance in Yemen against the barefoot Houthis.

Procured and when they entered production are two different things.

No, it’s because Iran doesn’t have the luxury to upgrade its mechanized armour. Such a low priority item because the threat land invasion is so low in next 10 years that it’s better to invest those funds into “deterrence systems”.

If Iran had the military to GDP ratio budget of let’s say a China or Saudi Arabia than it would certainly move to upgrade mechanized armour. But again super low priority at this time.

Back
Top Bottom