What's new

Iranian Ground Forces | News and Equipment

Very disappointing that there was no mention of the T-72M ERA upgrade.

I think he did mention it. He talked about T-72M and it’s new ERA around the turret. If that is what you are referring to.

***UPDATE***
This looks to be new Karrars under construction
EdUJviQVcAAavMZ

EdUJvicU0AAR3Hf

EdUJvjVU0AELZiZ

EdUJvi7UEAAK8Em

BMP ifv remote operated turrets under construction

This is an iranian designed and manufactured qareh 80mm rocket launcher.

Looks like a facility that builds/overhauls BMP-2. I don’t see any Karrars in that picture.

I think he did mention it. He talked about T-72M and it’s new ERA around the turret. If that is what you are referring to.

Looks like a facility that builds/overhauls BMP-2. I don’t see any Karrars in that picture.
Well for a start bmps have 2 rear doors for troop deployment and they dont use v12 engines they use v6s,oh and the turret ring on the machines being built on the production line is massive,way way too big for a bmp with a little 30mm cannon or 73mm hp-lp gun.

ابتدای حمله امریکا به عراق، عراقی ها خاصه کردها مسابقه گذاشته بودند که تجهیزات سنگین خراب و نیمه خراب صدام رو به مرز ایران برسونن و اب کنن‌
ایران یه دریای تجهیزات خراب خرید​

IRGC is refurbishing T-72 Ural and T-72M they got from Iraq and other sources, here.

If the IRGC T-72 (Karrar-like) upgrade package is fully developed and accepted, those obsolete T-72 models will come back for the standardized upgrade, after them IRGC T-72S which are significantly better protected.

Army goes the path to order Karrars, if the engine production hurdle is taken some day and upgrade their T-72S to a standard close to the Karrar.
Then IRGC will probably also start ordering Karrars at that point.

So IRGC wants to do it on its own, hoping for lower costs and the Army goes for defense industry organization offerings. Army is busy with Chieftain and later M60 refurbishments/upgrades at their own facilities.

IRGC is refurbishing T-72 Ural and T-72M they got from Iraq and other sources, here.

If the IRGC T-72 (Karrar-like) upgrade package is fully developed and accepted, those obsolete T-72 models will come back for the standardized upgrade, after them IRGC T-72S which are significantly better protected.

Army goes the path to order Karrars, if the engine production hurdle is taken some day and upgrade their T-72S to a standard close to the Karrar.
Then IRGC will probably also start ordering Karrars at that point.

So IRGC wants to do it on its own, hoping for lower costs and the Army goes for defense industry organization offerings. Army is busy with Chieftain and later M60 refurbishments/upgrades at their own facilities.

This stupid rule that restricts them to R&D and overhaul should be abolished.... If the MOD is unwilling or unable to mass produce then they need to allow the military branches the freedom to mass produce themselves.

I'm sorry buddy but "ean kharab shodeh ha e jang tamomi nadareh?"

Their efforts would have been far more fruitful if the time was spent towards mass production and the development of newer and more sophisticated tools and infrastructure! Even if the end result currently ends up being a vehicle no better than what they have today it doesn't matter because what is more important is the development of the infrastructure for mass production... And this endless cycle of overhauling is not gong bode well for Iran in the long run! I was hoping IRGC leadership would have been smart enough to realize this and not get trapped in the same trap that the Aretsh has been stuck in for the past 3 decades....

This stupid rule that restricts them to R&D and overhaul should be abolished.... If the MOD is unwilling or unable to mass produce then they need to allow the military branches the freedom to mass produce themselves.

I'm sorry buddy but "ean kharab shodeh ha e jang tamomi nadareh?"

Their efforts would have been far more fruitful if the time was spent towards mass production and the development of newer and more sophisticated tools and infrastructure! Even if the end result currently ends up being a vehicle no better than what they have today it doesn't matter because what is more important is the development of the infrastructure for mass production... And this endless cycle of overhauling is not gong bode well for Iran in the long run! I was hoping IRGC leadership would have been smart enough to realize this and not get trapped in the same trap that the Aretsh has been stuck in for the past 3 decades....

Until Iran can produce more modern tank shells it doesn’t matter what tank rolls on the battlefield. Against Iran’s neighbors Iran’s current tanks are fine. Against US they won’t be able to penetrate modern tanks.

Lastly when you have a massive inventory of tanks like Iran does there is no reason to build a new generation tank that will just rot and rust in inventory for next 15 years.

Imagine Iran build 500 zolfighar 3’s 15 years ago. What would that have done? They would all be rusting away.

Iran doesn’t need new modern tanks at this point in time. Threat of land war is all time low.

Like with fighters, there is no Iranian available.
So serial production is not on the agenda.

Refurbish, equip units, form new units, keep armor facility operating, personnel trained and busy and then upgrade those tanks to a common standard.
Once engine or also a modern APFSDS round are available, serial production can start at low cost, reequip entire brigades and move older upgraded tanks from the frontline units.

Key to tank warfare effectiveness is cost: It is a great warfare tool if it is available in large numbers at low cost.

Until Iran can produce more modern tank shells it doesn’t matter what tank rolls on the battlefield. Against Iran’s neighbors Iran’s current tanks are fine. Against US they won’t be able to penetrate modern tanks.

Lastly when you have a massive inventory of tanks like Iran does there is no reason to build a new generation tank that will just rot and rust in inventory for next 15 years.

Imagine Iran build 500 zolfighar 3’s 15 years ago. What would that have done? They would all be rusting away.

Iran doesn’t need new modern tanks at this point in time. Threat of land war is all time low.

I'm talking armored vehicles in general not tanks specifically... I'm no fan of Tanks...

And no one stocks weapons because they need them for daily use you stock them for emergencies...

And no one stocks weapons because they need them for daily use you stock them for emergencies...

when you have a limited budget you produce items that produce the greatest intrinsic value to your military objectives. You prioritize the most important military items first.

For example, it would be weird if Iran was producing very little missiles, but producing a lot of let’s say speedboats all factors being same. Which has a better Intrinsic value? Which is a higher priority?

Iran has plenty of armor stored away from the 90’s when it PRIORITIZED mechanized armor in anticipation or in case Saddam decided to start another war after acquiring nuclear capability.

Again somethings are out of their hands like engines. Takes time to develop under a robust sanctions regime. But we have seen Iran unveil new MRAPs, Humvees, APCs, etc only to see neither armed forces order much of them because it’s not high on their list. I mean for Pete’s sake Iraqi militias got Iranian MRAPs faster than IRGC/Artest did.

Nonetheless new shiny mechanized armour when the threat of invasion is low would make Iran no better than US or NATO that just stockpiles toys then ends up donating them to countries/police/etc because they are SURPLUS and obsolete in a decade.

when you have a limited budget you produce items that produce the greatest intrinsic value to your military objectives. You prioritize the most important military items first.

For example, it would be weird if Iran was producing very little missiles, but producing a lot of let’s say speedboats all factors being same. Which has a better Intrinsic value? Which is a higher priority?

Iran has plenty of armor stored away from the 90’s when it PRIORITIZED mechanized armor in anticipation or in case Saddam decided to start another war after acquiring nuclear capability.

Again somethings are out of their hands like engines. Takes time to develop under a robust sanctions regime. But we have seen Iran unveil new MRAPs, Humvees, APCs, etc only to see neither armed forces order much of them because it’s not high on their list. I mean for Pete’s sake Iraqi militias got Iranian MRAPs faster than IRGC/Artest did.

Nonetheless new shiny mechanized armour when the threat of invasion is low would make Iran no better than US or NATO that just stockpiles toys then ends up donating them to countries/police/etc because they are SURPLUS and obsolete in a decade.

You Arab Parast, giving us better vehicles than you give your own

This is not about setting priorities but rather miss management! It's not like Iran isn't using personal, facilities & infrastructure towards these overhauls.... The question is what is the end result of this vs production when you compare the manpower, tools, facilities, material & cost requirements per vehicle at the end!
And as you mentioned yourself production isn't restrictive to domestic use! So your not only adding to your own capabilities but your also developing the capability to export which adds to the capabilities of your friends and allies which further adds to your own capabilities!
Simply put, if you do the math, restricting yourself to overhaul is rather IDIOTIC!

Iran is uniquely positioned for both exports and joint military development and it would be absurd to put ourselves in a bubble and restrict ourselves to overhaul

Like with fighters, there is no Iranian available.
So serial production is not on the agenda.

Refurbish, equip units, form new units, keep armor facility operating, personnel trained and busy and then upgrade those tanks to a common standard.
Once engine or also a modern APFSDS round are available, serial production can start at low cost, reequip entire brigades and move older upgraded tanks from the frontline units.

Key to tank warfare effectiveness is cost: It is a great warfare tool if it is available in large numbers at low cost.

Peed jon technologically in terms of engines we are more than capable of producing chassis & engines more capable than the ones designed and developed by the Russians over 40-50 years ago. Problem is that the funding and efforts aren't properly being directed towards that goal

so I believe this to be more a matter of miss management, lack of proper planning and a completely wrong mentality rather than anything else!

Problem is that their entire mentality is wrong! If their mentality was more towards "If I export I can use the income to increase my own stock va dar ayneh hal doostan va mottahed ha mo ziyad tar o ghavi tar mekonam" rather than "Esraf badeh so I'll dig my head in the sand and put all my efforts towards refurbishing what I already have" then we wouldn't be having this conversation!

Just listen to them:

Back
Top Bottom