What's new

Iranian Chill Thread

Left PakistanDefence forever.
----------------------------------
* Disclaimer: None of the posts/information provided/PMs, necessarily represent true opinions/view points, of the original account holder.

It is truly amazing how far the world has come, since when Biruni invented the Second to measure the time: Just a Second

Now to make 5 G networks work and to spoof the GPS of American drones so they land in Iran instead of going back to the American bases :P, we need nanosecond accuracy. Biruni would have been equally amazed if he could see what has become of his Second.

=======================

An interview to lighten your mood: Biowarfare Acts Are in 'Criminal Violation' of the Treaty

I see your point. But as I said in my original comment, I am not an expert in alternate "realities". I think such alternate scenarios would make for a great novel but not much can be learnt from them. We have to stick with realities and work out the reasons for existence of those realities.

I was not presenting alternative realities, but the reality of India almost completely under Maratha hegemony and the dominant power in the subcontinent when the British came.

This was in response to your and Atanz's position that were the British not to have come and colonized India, an Indian entity such as the present would not infact have been forged or existed, and India would have been "balkanized."

The irony inherent to that argument being that to "balkanize" something, that something needs to have existed as a single monolithic entity in the first place, a priori.

It is truly amazing how far the world has come, since when Biruni invented the Second to measure the time: Just a Second

Now to make 5 G networks work and to spoof the GPS of American drones so they land in Iran instead of going back to the American bases :P, we need nanosecond accuracy. Biruni would have been equally amazed if he could see what has become of his Second.

=======================

An interview to lighten your mood: Biowarfare Acts Are in 'Criminal Violation' of the Treaty

We could do with your services in India. A variety of enchanting possibilities present themselves, after reading your post.

I was not presenting alternative realities, but the reality of India almost completely under Maratha hegemony and the dominant power in the subcontinent when the British came.

This was in response to your and Atanz's position that were the British not to have come and colonized India, an Indian entity such as the present would not infact have been forged or existed, and India would have been "balkanized."

The irony inherent to that argument being that to "balkanize" something, that something needs to have existed as a single monolithic entity in the first place, a priori.

What is interesting is that whoever sat on the throne and addressed the issue of boundaries automatically thought sub-region, region and sub-continent. It is difficult to understand what people when they say that there was no India until the British came. Perfectly correct, in the narrow sense; the Sultans during the Sultanate, the Rajputs, the Andhras and the kingdom of Vijaynagar, the Tamils, the Malayalis, the myriad peoples living beyond the Brahmaputra-Ganges junction - all knew India as something other than India.

Perfectly wrong, in the broader sense; they all had a central concept of Bharat, or of Hindustan, and it didn't differ much; from the Himalayas down to the sea, bounded by the western mountains, and the mountains in the east.

What next?

Left PakistanDefence forever.
----------------------------------
* Disclaimer: None of the posts/information provided/PMs, necessarily represent true opinions/view points, of the original account holder.
You are going to leave this forum??

Perfectly wrong, in the broader sense; they all had a central concept of Bharat, or of Hindustan, and it didn't differ much; from the Himalayas down to the sea, bounded by the western mountains, and the mountains in the east.

What next?

What about the West?

Where did Bharat/Hind/Hindustan stop and Persia/E'ran begin?

What about the West?

Where did Bharat/Hind/Hindustan stop and Persia/E'ran begin?

I believe Khorasan, or Khurasan, was the boundary province. That's Afghanistan and eastern Iran. After Afghanistan, it was alien territory. That is, the Indus Valley was excluded. This is keeping in mind that Sindh, Multan and much of the Punjab - all of the Punjab - was Muslim-dominated for several centuries. Kashmir came in late, but that was also part of the borderlands.

So we had Khorasan, we had these border territories and we had Hindustan beginning at Sir-Hind - the head, or originating point - of Hindustan.

I believe Khorasan, or Khurasan, was the boundary province. That's Afghanistan and eastern Iran. After Afghanistan, it was alien territory. That is, the Indus Valley was excluded. This is keeping in mind that Sindh, Multan and much of the Punjab - all of the Punjab - was Muslim-dominated for several centuries. Kashmir came in late, but that was also part of the borderlands.

So we had Khorasan, we had these border territories and we had Hindustan beginning at Sir-Hind - the head, or originating point - of Hindustan.

I was speaking more as civilizations an less as Hindu or Muslim controlled sir. So definitely not constraining the question to just the last millennium, but more longer-term, for the historically chronicled durations of both these civilizations.

And geographically I believed it would have been more the Hindu Kush as the demarcating feature (than the Indus), with the area betwixt the buffer region of civilizational ebb and flow and lineage admixuture if you will.

Further south, such was not the case, with the Persian footprint over much of Baluchistan/Sistan, all the way to the port of Makaran.

Again, my history academics stopped in the 10th standard. After that I was a science student. The history I gleaned beyond then is from my participation on forums and discussions with people like you and largely self taught through reading while debating. So no hesitation in putting myself out there to either be given a pat or a chop, from someone who is just a decade younger than my own dad. :)

Last edited:
upload_2015-9-25_12-25-26.png

Back
Top Bottom