What's new

Iranian Chill Thread

No, the Jama'a Salat is treated simiarly by both Sunni and Shia IRanians... Mass Prayers in Mosques get promoted strongly by both Shia and Sunni clergies in Iran. It mostly has something to do with the cultural texture of Shia and Sunni Iranians. Sunni Iranians are in 5 Major groups.

1- Iranian Persian Sunnis (Living on Eastern borders with Afghanistan): These are not a big population and mostly are concentrated in small cities of Taybad, Khaf. These people are not that much religious but still better than their shia counterparts in that region. These people are moderate in practice.

2- Iranian Kurd Sunnis (Living in Kurdestan, West Azerbaijan): These are moderate religiously but very strict culturally.

3- Iranian Turkmen Sunnis (Living in Turkman Sahra a region in Golestan province next to the Caspian Sea and Turkmenistan Borders: These people are the most un-Irani like people in whole Iran. They are very nice people, very tolerate with their Shia neighbors. Culturally very strict. These people are separate from Gonbad-Kavous City Turkmens racially. Turken Sahra Turkmens are identical to Turkmenistani people while Gonbad-Kavousis look like very much mixed with other Iranians (don't look a Mongolid Turkmen).. Few Gonbad Turkmens are Team Melli soccer player, Sardar Azmoon... or two National Vallyball team players Farhad Gholami and the other guy).

4- Iranian Bandari Persian/ Arab Sunnis: (they live in majority in some Persian Gulf Islands like Qeshm and minority in Southern Iranian coast line): These people are strict culturally but tolerate against others. These are the most un-political Sunnis of Iran.

5- Iranian Baluch Sunnis: (They live in Sistan & Baluchestan Province and Chabahar-Makran coastal areas): These Sunni Iranians are the most strict culturally and religiously. They have the most Sunni like cities in Iran. Although, their mixture and proximity to Shia Sistanis in big cities like Zahedan and Zabol forced them to show moderation toward others. The must underdeveloped area of Iran. It is going to change in future as Iran will invest tens of billions in their region in next couple of years. Security in this province is provided by assigning IRCG forces and local Sunni Basiji forces. To my surprise, last time that I was there, I have witnessed a huge inclination toward national identity among balouchis there, specially among youngsters who feel more Iranian than Baluchi. My prediction is that Balouchis will have a prosperious province in a decade from now and then they become even more nationalist (Iranians).

So in brief:

The fact that some Sunni or Shia Mosques around Iran host more Mass-Prayers is not religious but cultural. In some areas of Iran, the rate of mosque goers are very high and in some other parts no one but elderly goes to mosques. This applies to both Sunnis and Shias. For example, In West Azerbaijan Province, the young people are very liberal and never attend mosques even tough they are Sunni and in some cities or parts of a big city like Qom or Samen Region of Mashhad the ratio of mosque attendees are very high. Both Sunni and Shia clergies are promoting Mosque attendance for mass-prayers or other stuff but the result is mostly defined by their cultural strictness.

Overall though Sunni Iranians are more religious and so we can expect more mosque attendance among them but this has changed significantly among youngsters as they follow a national pattern promoted in Tehran and other big cities.

It is Baloch not Balochi... Balochi is OUR LANGUAGE... Some expert views!

Many overseas Iranian in Canada rarely go to the mosque or keep Muslim customs like Ramzan fasting. Many say that they are Muslims only in Iran. Many Iranian girls go from wearing Hijab to strapless dress as soon as they land in Canada.
Those Iranians that you see never been or believed in Islam even in Iran!!

They were forced to wear a barely Hijab in Iran and now that there is no force they live the way they liked in first place...

It is Baloch not Balochi... Balochi is OUR LANGUAGE... Some expert views!
whatever!!

Those Iranians that you see never been or believed in Islam even in Iran!!

They were forced to wear a barely Hijab in Iran and now that there is no force they live the way they liked in first place...

whatever!!

Whatever? so much for Baluch becoming "iranian" nationalists..

Many overseas Iranian in Canada rarely go to the mosque or keep Muslim customs like Ramzan fasting. Many say that they are Muslims only in Iran. Many Iranian girls go from wearing Hijab to strapless dress as soon as they land in Canada.

I live in US, so I can talk about Iranians in US. I know many Iranians in US, and I can tell you that maybe 15% of Iranian girls who have directly come from Iran, wear Hijab in the first year, then it drops to below 5-10% after 2-3 years. Among second generation Iranians, maybe 1 in 1000 wears hijab, and they are for sure somehow connected to some important people inside Iranian government.

There are some differences between Iranian Americans and Iranian Canadians though. Iranians in Canada are mostly from middle class Iranian muslim background who have emigrated to Canada during/after Khatami administration. @Abii knows more about them.

Iranians in US though, have different backgrounds. From 600,000 Iranians living in USA, about 40% of Iranians in US have Jewish or Bahaii background. The two most famous Iranian neighborhoods in US(Beverley Hills in LA, and Great Neck in NYC) are Iranian Jewish neighborhoods. 20% of Iranians have declared having no religious affiliations at all, and 40% have declared to be muslim or from muslim background with different levels of practicing islam. Most Iranians in US have been rich people or religious minorities who fled from Iran because of Revolution. Rest of Iranians in USA are mostly having higher education degrees, and are professionals(Engineers and medical doctors) who have left Iran.

I have less info about Iranians in Europe, but I think they are mostly from refugee background and lower class parts of Iranian society and many of them have leftist backgrounds. @IR-TR knows more about them.

I meant, whatever you say bro... do you like Iranian Balouchistan become separated and join you in your on state in Pakistan?

Wouldnt mind it either.. lol... i wish Balochistan was united... today its divided between Pak-Iran-Afghanistan.

No, the Jama'a Salat is treated simiarly by both Sunni and Shia IRanians... Mass Prayers in Mosques get promoted strongly by both Shia and Sunni clergies in Iran. It mostly has something to do with the cultural texture of Shia and Sunni Iranians. Sunni Iranians are in 5 Major groups.

1- Iranian Persian Sunnis (Living on Eastern borders with Afghanistan): These are not a big population and mostly are concentrated in small cities of Taybad, Khaf. These people are not that much religious but still better than their shia counterparts in that region. These people are moderate in practice.

2- Iranian Kurd Sunnis (Living in Kurdestan, West Azerbaijan): These are moderate religiously but very strict culturally.

3- Iranian Turkmen Sunnis (Living in Turkman Sahra a region in Golestan province next to the Caspian Sea and Turkmenistan Borders: These people are the most un-Irani like people in whole Iran. They are very nice people, very tolerate with their Shia neighbors. Culturally very strict. These people are separate from Gonbad-Kavous City Turkmens racially. Turken Sahra Turkmens are identical to Turkmenistani people while Gonbad-Kavousis look like very much mixed with other Iranians (don't look a Mongolid Turkmen).. Few Gonbad Turkmens are Team Melli soccer player, Sardar Azmoon... or two National Vallyball team players Farhad Gholami and the other guy).

4- Iranian Bandari Persian/ Arab Sunnis: (they live in majority in some Persian Gulf Islands like Qeshm and minority in Southern Iranian coast line): These people are strict culturally but tolerate against others. These are the most un-political Sunnis of Iran.

5- Iranian Baluch Sunnis: (They live in Sistan & Baluchestan Province and Chabahar-Makran coastal areas): These Sunni Iranians are the most strict culturally and religiously. They have the most Sunni like cities in Iran. Although, their mixture and proximity to Shia Sistanis in big cities like Zahedan and Zabol forced them to show moderation toward others. The must underdeveloped area of Iran. It is going to change in future as Iran will invest tens of billions in their region in next couple of years. Security in this province is provided by assigning IRCG forces and local Sunni Basiji forces. To my surprise, last time that I was there, I have witnessed a huge inclination toward national identity among balouchis there, specially among youngsters who feel more Iranian than Baluchi. My prediction is that Balouchis will have a prosperious province in a decade from now and then they become even more nationalist (Iranians).

So in brief:

The fact that some Sunni or Shia Mosques around Iran host more Mass-Prayers is not religious but cultural. In some areas of Iran, the rate of mosque goers are very high and in some other parts no one but elderly goes to mosques. This applies to both Sunnis and Shias. For example, In West Azerbaijan Province, the young people are very liberal and never attend mosques even tough they are Sunni and in some cities or parts of a big city like Qom or Samen Region of Mashhad the ratio of mosque attendees are very high. Both Sunni and Shia clergies are promoting Mosque attendance for mass-prayers or other stuff but the result is mostly defined by their cultural strictness.

Overall though Sunni Iranians are more religious and so we can expect more mosque attendance among them but this has changed significantly among youngsters as they follow a national pattern promoted in Tehran and other big cities.

Sunni Persians? What a nostalgia.....

لله الأمر من قبل ومن بعد

I live in US, so I can talk about Iranians in US. I know many Iranians in US, and I can tell you that maybe 15% of Iranian girls who have directly come from Iran, wear Hijab in the first year, then it drops to below 5-10% after 2-3 years. Among second generation Iranians, maybe 1 in 1000 wears hijab, and they are for sure somehow connected to some important people inside Iranian government.

There are some differences between Iranian Americans and Iranian Canadians though. Iranians in Canada are mostly from middle class Iranian muslim background who have emigrated to Canada during/after Khatami administration. @Abii knows more about them.

Iranians in US though, have different backgrounds. From 600,000 Iranians living in USA, about 40% of Iranians in US have Jewish or Bahaii background. The two most famous Iranian neighborhoods in US(Beverley Hills in LA, and Great Neck in NYC) are Iranian Jewish neighborhoods. 20% of Iranians have declared having no religious affiliations at all, and 40% have declared to be muslim or from muslim background with different levels of practicing islam. Most Iranians in US have been rich people or religious minorities who fled from Iran because of Revolution. Rest of Iranians in USA are mostly having higher education degrees, and are professionals(Engineers and medical doctors) who have left Iran.

I have less info about Iranians in Europe, but I think they are mostly from refugee background and lower class parts of Iranian society and many of them have leftist backgrounds. @IR-TR knows more about them.
you forgot Iranian Armenians who some of them when asked respond as Iranian Armenian while a big part of them only say" Armenian". Iranian Armenians are there too...

There is a new wave of second or third generation American Iranians who are coming back to their roots based on my latest info. SABA Academy is one you can search about.. Iranian Shias in cooperation with other shias start schools and they were successful absorbing a percentage of Iranian children.

Although as you said, most of Iranians not only in USA but everywhere else have very loose Religious mindset and many of them get the color of the host country very soon. This is not because they are weak, but because most of them never been so even in Iran. Being free to practice their desired European life style is a big factor among Iranians who want to emigrate.

Sunni Persians? What a nostalgia.....

لله الأمر من قبل ومن بعد
Yes, what a nostalogia...

Here comes a moment to say:

انا لله و انا الیه راجعون کونا عربیا او عجمیا... سنیا او شیعیا

@rmi5 @scythian500

My father lived in Germany for a long time. He has told me a story.
Few years after Islamic revolution an Iranians religious man who worked for Iranian embassy went to Germany. He was much religious and whenever walked with my father in the streets he looked down to the ground and reapeted zikr for himself. After some months he shaved his breads and used to go to German beaches. :lol:

He was still much religious in his befilis but he became modern and used to enjoy watching girls a bit.

Last edited:
you forgot Iranian Armenians who some of them when asked respond as Iranian Armenian while a big part of them only say" Armenian". Iranian Armenians are there too...

There is a new wave of second or third generation American Iranians who are coming back to their roots based on my latest info. SABA Academy is one you can search about.. Iranian Shias in cooperation with other shias start schools and they were successful absorbing a percentage of Iranian children.

Although as you said, most of Iranians not only in USA but everywhere else have very loose Religious mindset and many of them get the color of the host country very soon. This is not because they are weak, but because most of them never been so even in Iran. Being free to practice their desired European life style is a big factor among Iranians who want to emigrate.

Yes, what a nostalogia...

Here comes a moment to say:

انا لله و انا الیه راجعون کونا عربیا او عجمیا... سنیا او شیعیا

I think you lived abroad then come back to Iran, as I remember. Did you live in europe? Can you explain about Iranians in Western Europe?

Let it stay in the heart bro. Or as we say informally in Arabic خليها بالقلب

@scythian500
's Arabic is good so it is more expressive to say it in Arabic.

Most of us know Arabic to some good extent. I have some good Arab friends in US, mostly from Saudi, Egypt and Algeria. Sometimes if they forget some word in English, I will them to tell their words in Arabic, and I mostly get what they wanted to say. :lol: speaking and writing Arabic though, is difficult.

Back
Top Bottom