What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

Based on international incidents. Can anyone name the last time a country shot another country’s manned aircraft during war games? Many rival countries observe each other’s war games. I am sure Iran observes The Arabs across the PG and the Azeri’s and the US when they conduct their own ones.

Even the Global Hawk (not during a war game) was a calculated move (and they didn’t hit the ENIT/SIGINT plane right next to it) due to Trump’s maximum pressure campaign and shadow war across the Middle East.

I think the only country that might actually do such a thing and break the norms is North Korea and that is because they know SK is a western vessel state and won’t do anything. Plus they know SK wont risk war (potentially nuclear) over such an incident.

When was the last time a multi hundred million dollar US asset was either shot down or taken over and landed? Also when was the last time a US military base was blown to cinders causing hundreds of casualties? I believe the answer to those will answer your questions. Iran does NOT play by the rules of her opponents. As such, conventional precedent means little.

According to Ansarullah, this 358 missile is 2.7 meters long, weighs 58 kg is 150 mm in diameter, has a 10 kilogram warhead, and can destroy targets at a distance of 100 kilometers and an altitude of 28,000 feet. It has a lethal radius of 30 meters.
According to Iranian media.
In August of this year, General Hajizadeh announced that Iran had acquired a defensive missile based on drones.

140111101445409726935454.jpg

According to Ansarullah, this 358 missile is 2.7 meters long, weighs 58 kg is 150 mm in diameter, has a 10 kilogram warhead, and can destroy targets at a distance of 100 kilometers and an altitude of 28,000 feet. It has a lethal radius of 30 meters.
In August of this year, General Hajizadeh announced that Iran had acquired a defensive missile based on drones.

There is also this interesting statement by Brigade General Mehdi Saghafifar:

I think it was this 358 / Saqr missile that downed those Wing-loon UCAVs in Yemen. I'll have to check on that later when I have more time. Shown good success against slow flying UAVs

So NK gets Air Defence from Iran?

Different vehicle, different chassis.

I mean by this logic Iran got its air defense from US because Patriot missile battery looks like Iran’s.

Without seeing what NK anti air Missile it uses we can’t say for sure. If it’s SM-2 body then yes they got ToT from Iran, because SM-2 is a western based missile body and North Korea has zero experience with western systems. However, Iran has access from the Shah era and Iran Contra.

Iran has based many of its Air defense missiles on variations of the SM body shell (with different internals obviously)

The DPRK system does not seem to be a SAM, but a SRBM. I too initially believed it could be a SAM, but it does not appear to be the case.

https://imp-navigator.livejournal.com/1067389.html

However i believe DPRK has developed a triad of short (Tor like SAM), medium (hardly mentioned in the west, but i believe an 8 cell VLS system showed at a previous parade between the short and long range SAM systems is a medium range SAM), and long range (Pon'gae-6 and the older Pon'gae-5) air defence systems.

Heres a neat pic,we see the new extended range sam for the third of khordad.
3664968.jpg

3664969.jpg

3664962.jpg

3664973.jpg

3664971.jpg

We can also see an old SA-6 sam,on the table we see the original SA-6 seeker [on the right] and the new iranian reengineered one [left side],the only original component that appears to be left on the new iranian seeker is the antenna.
The seekers were originally shown as part of a larger display at the irgc aerospace museum a couple of years back.

i will quote my self from the iranian missile discussion thread!!!!"
really i cannot understand why sections of the missile and its components are shown to public... among those visiting such musiems are the CIA , moussasd, mi6 and all sort of enemy intelligence to pay a close look .... why are the Iranians showing such systems ton public... a video or just plastic models are more than enough for the public to enjoy....
no need to reveal secrets !!!!!"

really i cannot understand why sections of the missile and its components are shown to public... among those visiting such musiems are the CIA , moussasd, mi6 and all sort of enemy intelligence to pay a close look .... why are the Iranians showing such systems ton public... a video or just plastic models are more than enough for the public to enjoy....

Its the "Persian" ego :) they can't help themselves, I was mentioning the same thing in the thread about the underground air base. Have you ever seen videos and photos of Israeli airbases to that detail?

Do you think the Iranian military have no classification system in place to conceal useful details from the enemy? They are neither fools nor amateurs, do not expect a sensitive institution like this to forego elementary operational security for the sake of some exhibition or museum. Whatever's visible will of course have been explicitly authorized for public showcasing after stringent review by the competent authority, in accordance with the communication (and psy-ops) strategy of the Iranian armed forces.

In fact Iran is keeping her latest weaponry under wraps. What we get to see for the most part are either older generations or items which aren't a secret to the enemy. Components on those pictures might very well be phased out as we speak in favor of more recent and advanced ones. Either that or displaying them generates no operational risks and Iran might actually want enemies to know she has long mastered these technologies, leaving them guessing as to what Iran might have up her sleeves presently.

Also not every single component was shown. So clearly a selection was made, based on what should remain classified and what may be introduced to the public eye.

Furthermore let's not dismiss the distinct possibility that such presentations might feature a measure of deliberate deception i.e. components integrated into the final mass produced version may always have been different from the ones put on display.

At any rate, rest assured this is all bound to be well calculated.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom