What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

Mersad-16 is a mixed bag , they somehow merged part of Hawk subsystems with part of raad project and it become Mersad-16
Interesting, didn't know about the Raad part.
if I'm not wrong its PESA not AESA
I haven't seen any official specs of the 15th Khordad's Najm-804 radar, but allegedly it's a S-Band AESA. Jooshan appears to be the PESA variant.

A very interesting pic.
media%2FFlmMUIKX0AE9dG5.png

This could very possibly be the first actual picture of the iranian L-ASR4 radar.
Another possibility is that this is the RLM vhf radar component of the Nebo M anti lo/vlo radar system in iranian service.

Last edited:

apparently based on Russian variant, or directly Russian

Glad to see Iran-Russia cooperation yield more and more technological input for Iran. Such input has come in handy to speed up domestic development projects, particularly in the air defence sector (but not limited to it). And as it appears with this news, it's now reflecting itself through a key asset in Iran's possession.

This is a textbook example of a mutually beneficial strategic cooperation on equal footing, enhancing strong indigenous industrial-technological capabilities of two nations endowed with high degrees of self-sufficiency, sharing common interests and aims.

In short, the exact opposite of the master-vassal relationship which used to characterize Iran's subservience to the USA regime under the pro-zionist monarchy, ousted by the Iranian people in their glorious Islamic Revolution.

Last edited:
Totally missed this post.

Looks like the seed of investment is paying off very well.

Anyone know of other seeds that have been planted which will blossom in the future? No one would consider Iran to be a serious AD manufacturer just 10 years ago.

That 2nd air defense operator is gonna give himself a stroke warning aircraft to stay away.

I feel if he was super calm they wouldn't have reacted as quickly by leaving. An agitated/tense air defense operator or I guess in this case air traffic controller is a bit scary.

I feel if he was super calm they wouldn't have reacted as quickly by leaving. An agitated/tense air defense operator or I guess in this case air traffic controller is a bit scary.

Hard to understand him quite honestly. Background noise doesn’t help.

Lastly, US airforce knows Iran isn’t going to shoot a manned plane out of the air for observing a military exercise on the maritime border line of international waters/Iranian airspace.

Hard to understand him quite honestly. Background noise doesn’t help.

Lastly, US airforce knows Iran isn’t going to shoot a manned plane out of the air for observing a military exercise on the maritime border line of international waters/Iranian airspace.
Not so sure about that....

Based on international incidents. Can anyone name the last time a country shot another country’s manned aircraft during war games? Many rival countries observe each other’s war games. I am sure Iran observes The Arabs across the PG and the Azeri’s and the US when they conduct their own ones.

Even the Global Hawk (not during a war game) was a calculated move (and they didn’t hit the ENIT/SIGINT plane right next to it) due to Trump’s maximum pressure campaign and shadow war across the Middle East.

I think the only country that might actually do such a thing and break the norms is North Korea and that is because they know SK is a western vessel state and won’t do anything. Plus they know SK wont risk war (potentially nuclear) over such an incident.

Based on international incidents. Can anyone name the last time a country shot another country’s manned aircraft during war games? Many rival countries observe each other’s war games. I am sure Iran observes The Arabs across the PG and the Azeri’s and the US when they conduct their own ones.

Even the Global Hawk (not during a war game) was a calculated move (and they didn’t hit the ENIT/SIGINT plane right next to it) due to Trump’s maximum pressure campaign and shadow war across the Middle East.

I think the only country that might actually do such a thing and break the norms is North Korea and that is because they know SK is a western vessel state and won’t do anything. Plus they know SK wont risk war (potentially nuclear) over such an incident.
I knew once Azerbaijan shoot down a Russian transport air craft over Caspian sea in 90s with S200 and Japan once shoot down one of its F-15 during a wargame (guess it is the only F-15 that got shoot down)

Back
Top Bottom