What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

When does the Eyeranians test the Bavar?

Americans for sure need to work on their pronunciation.

The Bavar 373 Air defense System will be unveiled on August 22th

they will show us the test too but recently we test a Shahab 3 missile and we think its was a test for anti ballistic missile capabilities and it was successful so it some how has S400 capabilities too. but we have to wait until August 22th

Russians could not deliver replacement TRMs (item out of production) .

I that case how can they support their own radars, and other customers, if any?
Iranian authorizes are well known for being dishonest with respect to claiming things have been done without the support of the original vendor. They expect the foreign and even domestic vendors such as MOD come and fix the issues for free after the warranty period is over. And, if they don’t do that, Iranian commanders start a propaganda using the state-controlled media!
This Radar is still in the list of export items for Rosoboronexport, and parts should be still available. More importantly, 2300 man-hours is nothing! It is simply only around 6 weeks of job for 10 crews!

I that case how can they support their own radars, and other customers, if any?
Iranian authorizes are well known for being dishonest with respect to claiming things have been done without the support of the original vendor. They expect the foreign and even domestic vendors such as MOD come and fix the issues for free after the warranty period is over. And, if they don’t do that, Iranian commanders start a propaganda using the state-controlled media!
This Radar is still in the list of export items for Rosoboronexport, and parts should be still available. More importantly, 2300 man-hours is nothing! It is simply only around 6 weeks of job for 10 crews!

For now it seems Iran is the only export costumer and the sole operator ( Russians skipped it and went for Gamma-S). They may still offer it in case a large contract is made, then yes, they may would restart the production.
2300 hours is not much yes, IEI would have to produce the TRMs and the rest by the 2300 hours IRIADF work.

Time to time we need to read between the lines: during the show-off ceremony the reporter mentioned the retrofitted radar (Falagh) will help the S-300 system. So, maybe the story is that the Radar by self did not have any issue and was running fine, but Russians refused, or could not make the necessary changes Iran had asked to make the Radar compatible with the existing S-300 systems.
By the way, do we know what is the difference between these two versions of Gamma-DE?
5F7505D0-63B6-4642-B370-0B943E83468D.jpeg

Last edited:
They are basically the same as far as known. The S-300PMU2 is already fully compatible with the Gamma-DE, so no need for change.
Of course it is an ideal radar asset if you want to use your S-300 as ABM system (sector scan/starring capability).

Gamma-DE is simply not in service in sufficient numbers, it was not even spotted in Algeria or Vietnam which are typical costumers of special Russian gear.
I still think Russians offered the Gamma-DE to not too many countries and Iran was only allowed due to the cancelled S-300 contract compensation.
As said, it may have opened the door to all new S-band AESAs Iran has developed.

By the way, do we know what is the difference between these two versions of Gamma-DE?
View attachment 573513
The prototype/test versions appeared to have a curved radome,whereas the production version did not.
Interestingly the pic of the flat radome appears to have been produced from an altered curved radome pic.
67N6E-Gamma-DE-RLS-1AS.jpg

looks pretty similar to this pic doesnt it?
d5d9d47389ec2fe7bd005a73a19b4bc0.jpg

Last edited:
The S-300PMU2 is already fully compatible with the Gamma-DE, so no need for change.
It is not like what you stated at all. The interface module between these two units is an ‘option’ for the customers, and they need to pay for the interface cards/modules itself as well as programming, and commissioning. Spending only 2,300 man-hour can match with this kind of projects, though.

I still think Russians offered the Gamma-DE to not too many countries and Iran was only allowed
Russia has clearly offered both versions for export openly. So, if no one beside Iran has shown interest - for any reasons - is another story.

Last edited:
It is not like what you stated at all. The interface module between these two units is an ‘option’ for the customers, and they need to pay for the interface itself as well as programming, and commissioning.

2dtwr68.jpg

That's the S-400 and yes, maybe it's a empty catalog promise but they say they are compatible as is the other claimed item: Avtobaza-M, which Iran got with the S-300 and is operating it with.

Russia has clearly offered both versions for export openly. So, if no one beside Iran has shown interest - for any reasons - is another story.

Maybe. Not everything Russia offers for export it is ready to deliver to anyone. The Gamma-DE has pretty good performance on the paper.

New Iranian air defense system is superior to the S-300: report

According to the Russian aviation publication Avia.Pro, this upgraded air defense system will not only replace the Russian-supplied S-300, but also surpass the latter.

https://www.almasdarnews.com/article/new-iranian-air-defense-system-is-superior-to-the-s-300-report/
Not sure how informed that source is.

"According to the data presented, the Iranian Bavar-373 radars can detect air targets at distances of up to 300 kilometers,"

I thought Meraj-4 had 400km range? Some say that Bavar's missiles will have a 300km interception range, let alone a 300km detection range!

Not sure how informed that source is.

"According to the data presented, the Iranian Bavar-373 radars can detect air targets at distances of up to 300 kilometers,"

I thought Meraj-4 had 400km range? Some say that Bavar's missiles will have a 300km interception range, let alone a 300km detection range!

yes but maybe thay meant missile range as Bavar 373 should have a 300+ km range for sure if it wants to cach up with its radar range, as for Meraj-4 having 400km range? they never said its range but dude Qamar radar has 450 km range and Qamar radar is half of the size of Meraj-4

look at them and compare them for yourself and guess the range of Meraj-4, i will say its well above 600 km

Qamar radar

vlcsnap-2015-10-26-23h29m51s593.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-10-27-01h01m54s250.jpg

vlcsnap-2015-10-26-23h29m38s234.jpg

now look at this beast

Meraj-4 radar

1044538309.jpg

picture

marasem2520roz2520sanate2520defae952520285295B15D.JPG

yes but maybe thay meant missile range as Bavar 373 should have a 300+ km range for sure if it wants to cach up with its radar range, as for Meraj-4 having 400km range? they never said its range but dude Qamar radar has 450 km range and Qamar radar is half of the size of Meraj-4
Meraj 4 was on the IEI website (when it was active) and it was listed as having 400km range.

Also detection range of Meraj-4 (or any main radar) ≠ interception range of missile

My salutations to all Iranian members
I wonder about the detection range of Raad-1 and Raad-2 electro-optical systems against fighter sized targets and whether the cited 150 KM and 300 KM detection ranges of the new thermal camera named TIC-S-2 are against fighters or against other types of aircraft
Regarding the cassegrain antenna of Raad-1 and Raad-2 i wonder if it belongs to a fire control Radar or something else
TIC-S-2 Thermal camera
http://www.kowsartrading.com/products/1129/TIC-S-2
index.php

Raad-1 and Raad-2
index.php

index.php

I wonder about the detection range of Raad-1 and Raad-2 electro-optical systems against fighter sized targets and whether the cited 150 KM and 300 KM detection ranges of the new thermal camera named TIC-S-2 are against fighters or against other types of aircraft
Regarding the cassegrain antenna of Raad-1 and Raad-2 i wonder if it belongs to a fire control Radar or something else
TIC-S-2 Thermal camera
index.php

Raad-1 and Raad-2
index.php

index.php
I red in another article that for fighter size objects it is 90Km range. Albeit, that was almost 2 years ago so the new ones may have improved.

TIC-S-2 Thermal camera
index.php

Raad-1 and Raad-2
index.php

index.php

Maybe there are "lens free cameras" arranged in a kind of "phased array".

Back
Top Bottom