What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

Nazir radar's control center
Sounds familiar?!

upload_2016-9-2_14-3-31.png

This is almost covering half of Afghanistan's area:

upload_2016-9-2_14-6-43.png

Yup, it was Nazir that detected that incoming drone!

Good eyes bro, I did not look at in that much detail.

I think the next step should be to do our best to make mobile versions of nazir.
We may already have.

Now I'm making a very wild guess here but judging by where the radar is located, it seem to be between Tabas and Khor.

Even though it is said it has been deployed in an area that had 3000m hight (above sea? what is the reference point here). That area is covered with a lot of mountains which makes it almost impossible to detect incoming drones that usually fly at low altitude.

So it may have some type of OTH capacity or even be a hybrid radar. And maybe that's why they don't even show how it looks as it may be a new concept.

From their bases in Garcia Island, Europe and even US. B52 range is around 14,000 km (more than the distance between New York and central Iran and that's without counting in the range of stand off weapons they carry. They can take off from US east coast and fire their missiles when they are above Mediterranean sea and we can't do anything about it but hoping our Bavar system can shoot down all of their cruise and glider bombs with 100% accuracy.

From their submarines in Mediterranean, red and Oman sea. We still don't have any weapon that can hit a submerged submarine at that distance.

I'm afraid nothing major. Canada oil sand can easily replace any oil from middle east. And don't forget Russia would gladly step up and sell its oil at premium price.

They don't need to bring their fleet in. The keep shooting their missiles at us from distance until our refineries, power plants, airports, military bases, radars, power grids and .... are gone and then they can bring their fleet close.

And yes, It will be costly. But on the other hand all that money spent on replacing the lost units will actually help their economy the same way it did back in WWII.

No I said Lebanon lost more than Israel in terms of infrastructure.

It depends how you define cost? A country that depends on help from KSA or even Iran to arm its military, IS IN RUINS. Lebanon and Hezbollah are standing because we want them to. If it was not because of our help, they wouldn't be where they are. Their infrastructure has no supportive role in their war with Israel because they are getting their arms from Iran or Syria. So they can afford to lose their infrastructure and still continue to fight.

In case of Iran, who will supply us with arms when our production capacity is gone? Russia? China? Do we really want to go that cheap to fight a proxy war for China and Russia just to prove we can defeat US? Yes lose 60 years of development and millions of soul to break US image only for others to pick the fruit because we will be in such a mess after the war that we probably won't be standing straight for decades.

No country can defeat another country in a war without having a means to attack its infrastructure and kill its production capacity. Germany and Japan lost the war exactly because of the same reason. Their plants and infrastructure were being destroyed in air raids while those of Allied forces were sitting intact in Canada and US. Do you have any doubt that Germany would have won the war if there weren't any US or Canada to produce what allies needed?

We are talking about an all out war. Deterrence is another issue.

US population is 360 million. They can draft 30 or hell even equal to Iran's population (80 million) if they need to. I'm sure you can find 80 million qualified male in a 360 million nation if we can get 15 million soldiers in an 80 million nation.
While there are some logical points in you answers above, there are also some mistakes.. let me explain by starting from the US can bomb Iran with missiles from a distancen yes in theory it is feasible but in practice those missiles will have to cross many nations skies and the US needs their approval (not in case of Ballistic missiles though, but that is another game all together), that puts at least the neighboring coutries of Iran in jeopardy from Iranian missie retaliation..
The second point has to do with mobilization of troops, The US in contrast to Iran, will have to send its troops for a 10 000 km journey, in the Gulf war's desert storm, they've sent around
350 000 with a cost of almost a trillion $ and they had also bases and a huge coalition of more than 50 countries to help them out..So sending even 500 000 men to no nearby base is more than impossible for the US in practical terms.. only in a world war scenario where the US is attacked, they might mobilize 2, 3 million men and maybe a bit more, if they have a coalition again where to send them to, otherwise they will have to use their nukes to compensate..But the war scenario with Iran (gone by!), they could do nothing much, because of no new coalition for them, and no neighbor of Iran was totally sure that Iran didn't have a Nuclear weapon or was able to make one in a few weeks time, like it was assumed by the latest US estimates.. while at the same time it was much easier for Iran to mobilize millions of its citizens (in case of possible invasion), because the war was to be local to them and in the immediate vicinity, without the need like for the US to displace millions of troops for more than 10 000 km away from their home!!!

Thanks for your comment.

Please bear in mind that no Iranian (despite all the rhetoric from Iran military leaders, which is a normal behavior in any country to boost moral an deter the enemies) is under the delusion to think in a case of all out war between Iran and US, Iran will be the winner. Putting aside the technicality and capabilities of each side, it boils down to this: US is a 360 million strong nation (4.5 time more than that of Iran), with a land area 6 times that of Iran and an economy which is 45 times larger. These are the numbers that eventually define who will win in an actual war.

Imperial Japan made that mistake back in WWII. They were order of magnitude stronger in sea and air when compared to US after the Pearl Harbor attack so they thought they are stronger and they can keep it that way but what they didn't realize is that bigger population, economy and resources can easily translate to superior military might and/or number so just after two years, Japan fell behind because it was not able to replenish its lost units as fast as US could.

Back to Iran VS US case, it is the same situation. We may end up in a similar outcome like that of Veitnam war where in a war of attrition, eventually public pressure forces US to withdraw but at the same time we know we will lose all our infrastructure. Iranian are smart enough not to seek such an outcome even if they are announced winner of the war.

So Iran is never looking for an all out war scenario and its strategy is to make its opponents also think twice before they go down such a path. Iran's strategy is to increase the cost of any attack on Iran to the point that any potential enemy like US or Israel, opt for other means like diplomacy or even sanctions.

Going back to your question about Iran's AD system. I can assure you they are as accurate and deadly as you can get. After watching US previous wars eagerly, Iranians know that if they can ground or at least counter US airforce, then they have already raised the cost of any military option for US enough to prevent any attacks to begin with. Thus, AD has been Iran's top priority since almost 15 years ago. Iran established an independent division in its armed forces for AD, started with investing heavily on Radar design and production and at the same time increasing the range and accuracy of its AD missiles. Bavar 373's capacity are yet to be seen but they are already picking the fruit of their investment in Radars and early warning systems.

Here is a sample of how accurate and effective Iran's radars are. A couple of days ago, Iran's head of AD division announced activation of Iran's Nazir radar which is designed to detect drones, stealth and high flying objects. He said from now on, no drone or spy plane can enter Iran's air space without us knowing. Only a few days after that, Iran warned off a US drone, 20 miles off Iran border that was heading towards Iran from Afghanistan:

1824169_422.jpg

This is the screen of radar showing the incoming drone. As you can see all parameters of the object is recognized and displayed.

Here is the source that is in Persian:

http://www.mashreghnews.ir/fa/news/624576/شناساسی-و-اخطار-قرارگاه-پدافند-به-پهپاد-رادارگریز-آمریکایی-سند

Iran says it was a stealth drone probably judging by its RCS. Look at the height of the drone: 137, it can be meters or most probably feet. So the radar was able to find an object as small as a drone flying only 41m (height of a ten story building) in a mountainous area like that of Afghanistan.

Everyone knows that detection and guidance is the toughest part of designing an effective AD missiles system. The above news and similar shows Iran already has been successful in designing potent radars. Designing the missile that can carry the warhead to the target, should be peanuts for a nation that can put satellites in the orbit.
Totally true statement,, it is deterrent at its best (without nukes)
Most probably in meters, because that the international system of measurement (feet is British, hence its use in Canada and the US, but now in parllel wit the International System)

Last edited:
We may already have.

Now I'm making a very wild guess here but judging by where the radar is located, it seem to be between Tabas and Khor.

Even though it is said it has been deployed in an area that had 3000m hight (above sea? what is the reference point here). That area is covered with a lot of mountains which makes it almost impossible to detect incoming drones that usually fly at low altitude.

So it may have some type of OTH capacity or even be a hybrid radar. And maybe that's why they don't even show how it looks as it may be a new concept.
I tried to find the location of radar too but I dunno that it's mountainous or not .... it ain't precise but at least gives a clue .. probably in Tabas as you mentioned

Nazir.jpg

Nazir1.jpg

Nazir2.jpg

I hope member yavar will soon say something about Bavar-373
brother at this moment time i am looking for forum to join .

since the Russia has delivered S300 PUMx the the orgival bavar 373 has been modified .

the missile and system below which is original bavar project NOT Sayyad 3 missile or Talash 3 system
bavar-373-missile.jpg

1_281129_1.jpg

it is no longer wise to waste money to get to same thing so rather than canceling project scraping it it been modified to get to pass PUM..... technology barrier because no long time the PUM2 technology barrier has been over come .
that one main reason that Russia has delivered PUM2 to us because there full knowledge we Iran is and Russian made sure just give us as much we over come .
same goes with T90 thank offer which Russia has offered Iran . becuase they know very well how far we have over come so they make offer in same level not higher technology

here is video that Gen Esmaeili talk about Tlash system ( Talash 3 system is not been annuce i dont mean Talash 2 with Sayyad 2 missile )

this system which been show now it been called Bavar 373 ............... the orginal bavar project still ...................

Last edited:
I believe bavar-373 will compose of only one missile, which is the sayyad-4.
It will be used in conjunction with the Talash long range air defence which is composed of sayyad-2 and 3.

I really don't see Bavar-373 having 2 other missiles, it will be just a waste of resources.

Back
Top Bottom