What's new

Iranian Air Defense Systems

d3qGZpt.jpg

One could easily imagine an air launched version of this using the pop out fins that were used on the balaban or yasin pgms,rather than the four large fixed fins.
It would be pretty much a powered version of something like the uae al tariq
0000270477_resized_altariq1022.jpg

One could easily imagine these used as loitering weapons controlled by the back seater to engage sams or other targets of opportunity while the launch aircraft stayed at a safer distance.
Strike-with-accuracy.jpg

Another option would be to use a modified rear section as a power unit to extend the range of irans yasin and balaban air launched pgms.
The further developmental potential of this weapon,which frankly looks like it was just put together very quickly using a variety of whatever cheap cots that iran had access to in order just to give the yemenis a cheap simple nlos weapon,is actually rather impressive.I hope that we see it developed further in iranian service.
I think it also demonstrates just how increasingly easy it is for countries to build very cheap precision guided weapons using cheap off the shelf components.

^ So according to him, Oghab is a wheeled Tor-M1-based SHORAD system that is equipped with missiles only, whereas Separ is a Pantsir-S1-based point-defense SAM system equipped with both missiles and 30 mm AAA guns. Oghab has a range of 12 km and is equipped with night vision sights.

^ He says Oghab will be the first Iranian product to use a vertical cold launch system

Last edited:
^ So according to him, Oghab is a wheeled Tor-M1-based SHORAD system that is equipped with missiles only, whereas Separ is a Pantsir-S1-based point-defense SAM system equipped with both missiles and 30 mm AAA guns. Oghab has a range of 12 km and is equipped with night vision sights.

^ He says Oghab will be the first Iranian product to use a vertical cold launch system

The use of cold launch is very suspect and leads me to believe to a ToT between Russia and Iran. Possibly one of the “damages” that Russia had to pay for the disaster delay in S-300 deal.

For Iran to use a cold launch tech now after a 20 years of building hot launch missiles including in its domestic Bavar-373 is surprising.

I think this Oghab may end up looking like a Iranian Tor-M1 with some improvements made by Iran to bring it closer to M2 standard.

The 358 missiles consist of three parts: two motors and an explosive warhead. The weapon can be assembled after shipment and fired from a crude launcher on the ground. Once the missile is fired and traveling fast enough, a solid-fuel boost motor falls away and a cruise motor takes over; at that point the weapon flies in a figure-eight pattern and looks for targets.

As suspected it is fired off a crude launcher. Rather ingenious. Dedicated AD systems stand out too much and a manpad is not advanced enough/large enough for this.

The 358 missiles consist of three parts: two motors and an explosive warhead. The weapon can be assembled after shipment and fired from a crude launcher on the ground. Once the missile is fired and traveling fast enough, a solid-fuel boost motor falls away and a cruise motor takes over; at that point the weapon flies in a figure-eight pattern and looks for targets.

As suspected it is fired off a crude launcher. Rather ingenious. Dedicated AD systems stand out too much and a manpad is not advanced enough/large enough for this.

Imagine if this thing loitering and not finding target, then simply deploying a chute and land. Then the operators can refuel it and launch it again. Suddenly you have a reusable SAM against frequent cheap targets such as choppers. The potentials are impressive.

that is not a dedicated SAM , it is a long range ATGM with limited AD role for slow and low flying objects like choppers. i dont know why they exaggerate it too much because IRAN has much advanced SAMs.

Last edited:
that is not a dedicated SAM , it is a long range ATGM with limited AD role for slow and low flying objects like choppers. i dont know why they exaggerate it too much because RAN has much advanced SAMs.
It is a dedicated AD missile, however not a conventional one! It Loiters in slow speed on high altitude and waiting for a target and then goes supersonic to hit target. It's kind of an aerial mine if you will. It's very innovative and I wouldn't be surprised if other countries would start producing similar system since it effectively establishes a no-fly-zone very cost efficiently.

It is a dedicated AD missile, however not a conventional one! It Loiters in slow speed on high altitude and waiting for a target and then goes supersonic to hit target. It's kind of an aerial mine if you will. It's very innovative and I wouldn't be surprised if other countries would start producing similar system since it effectively establishes a no-fly-zone very cost efficiently.
That shape cant go mach+ , believe it or not

that is not a dedicated SAM , it is a long range ATGM

This system is designed specifically for flying targets, so how that make it a ATGM?

with limited AD role for slow and low flying objects like choppers.

it shot down a Saudi Tornado, is that a chopper?

i dont know why they exaggerate it too much because IRAN has much advanced SAMs.

We're talking about Yemen here. Iran cannot export those advanced system there. Having said that, this new system is ingenious.

Imagine if this thing loitering and not finding target, then simply deploying a chute and land. Then the operators can refuel it and launch it again. Suddenly you have a reusable SAM against frequent cheap targets such as choppers. The potentials are impressive.

really depends on a couple of factors:

1 cruise missile motor (is one time use engine ie cheap or reusable)?

2 fuel type (solid fuel or not?)?

Given the small amount of missiles sent for testing, I think these are to be used in high probability situations. Meaning as long as the drone/helicopter/jet is within proper engagement altitude then use it. But it isn’t meant to be a airborne flying AD system.

It is basically a modern day solution to AirPower for guirella fighters similar to what the stinger missile was to Afghan fighters during soviet invasion.

Iran will likely continue testing on it battlefield to determine probability of kill ratio.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom